• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introductions to the outside?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hey again Guys and Gals.

Since the introduction of the sheet over the top of Biscuit's pen, i'm concerned that maybe he won't get enough sunlight.

He's *NEVER* been outside before, he's smelt the air when we've had the door open and a pen infront of it, but never actually set paw outside.

I have the spare small animal pen (5x2.5x2) which i could put in the back garden for a small supervised run around, but i have concerns...

Firstly, we know now that Biscuit can easily jump the pen, so although i will definately supervise him, the garden is in no-way bunny safe and would be impossible to make it so. I'll put a sheet over the one side so he has shade, but we know he jumps onto the sheet to escape when indoors.

Secondly, grazing. Would it be safe for him to eat a fair amount of grass? He's had fresh grass when i've just torn a little up for him to eat and he's always munched it like it's a piece of fruit, but he's never had very much. It's never upset his stomach either, which is good.

so do i

Put him out at all?

How long would you recommend? 15-30minutes for the first time?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Gray & Biscuit.

I'm sure everyones opinions will differ to mine but heyho!

I'd definately put him out, he will enjoy the change. I also wouldn't worry about how much grass he eats as he is already used to a variety of fruit/veg/hay.

It probably will be best to put the sheet across the whole of the run, he will still get sun/fresh air through the sides.

Bet he will have a lovely time :D

I dont see anything wrong with putting him out. Both my two buns haven't been outdoors before, and haven't had a problem with lack of sunlight as the room they are in gets plenty of natural light. But - the big outdoors does provide plenty of enrichment and is another way of keeping bun entertained.

Knowing how sensitive buns tums are, I would probably put him out for a short time to start with and build up. Too much of a new food can potentially cause runny poops. So I probably would put him out the first time for between 30 minutes - 1 hour and no more.

I personally watch all prey animals when they are outside, regardless of whether they are little houdini's like Biscuit or not. I did use to put the guinea pigs out on a nice day, but as they are prey animals I would pull up a chair and get a book and sit with them. I am quite protective in that way, I would never let my buns freerange outdoors (so many things they could get into, and way to many potential predators) and if they went out in a pen I would watch them just in case.

He will probably be too excited running around to eat too much grass, but if you're worried cover some of the grass in his run with a piece of old carpet/lino/board (so long as it's not slippy).

Spring grass is the worst for buns cos it's so fresh - the summer grass should be ok for him if he's had it picked for him before.

Cover the whole top with a sheet to stop him jumping out - he'll still get light enough.

And take lots of pictures to post on here :wave:

Thanks guys, you all made me feel a lot better about it.

GOing to put him out on Saturday AM (weather permitting). Will take some pics :)

Mylo is also a house bunny and goes outside the odd time when we are home and can watch him, we have a separate pen to go outside which has a roof on so he cant jump out and nothing can go in.

He was a bit nervous at first but he seemed to love hopping around outside, i put a carry case in with him so when hes scared or somethin he can go inside and hide for a bit. I think its nice for him also to get some fresh air, so its a complete change of scenery.

My 2 indoor buns go out on nice days for a few hours - they love it!
It may be quite scary for him to start with - but he will get used to it.

My vet told me they need sunshine as I 'think' they need Vitamin D. I know when Charlie got ill a few months back - because he had always been an indoor bun and I only got him in the winter I had never put him outside - the vet recommended to put him out in the sun for a few hours a week..obviously not full sun - they must have a bit of shade - but I think that and the fresh air does them good!

Cant wait for pics

hope he enjoys himself, lucky bun :love::love:

Alvin hates outside so ill never have that joy of seeing him out in the fresh air :(

My bedroom where the buns are has a big window so they get some sunlight. I do take them outside whenever it's warm (but not hot ). They haven't been out much recently though cos it's either been baking hot or I've been bonding them.

Back