• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles

alaska

New Kit
hi bought a red mini lop doe when i brought her home she seemed fine then she started sneezing and white stuff coming out of her nose took her to vet baytril and metacam she seem to be a lot better than she was not as snotty as she was thats not he problem the problem is a few days later she gave birth didnt even know she was pregnant what i want to know is are the babies which she had 5 of are all thriving she is a very good mum ive been told they are imuned until 6 weeks so split before then can you keep and breed from babies whos mum has had snuffles or are they best sold as pets and will i have to sell the mum after babies are weaned will she ever be able to be bred from again or would it rear its ugly had again i am also putting her metatone in her water to pick herp a bit she seems a lot better than she was

hi bought a red mini lop doe when i brought her home she seemed fine then she started sneezing and white stuff coming out of her nose took her to vet baytril and metacam she seem to be a lot better than she was not as snotty as she was thats not he problem the problem is a few days later she gave birth didnt even know she was pregnant what i want to know is are the babies which she had 5 of are all thriving she is a very good mum ive been told they are imuned until 6 weeks so split before then can you keep and breed from babies whos mum has had snuffles or are they best sold as pets and will i have to sell the mum after babies are weaned will she ever be able to be bred from again or would it rear its ugly had again i am also putting her metatone in her water to pick herp a bit she seems a lot better than she was

Babies should not be split from mum until they are atleast 8 weeks old.

snuffles.??

did the dvm do a nasal culture,or facial radiograghs to identify,,isolate the bacterial infection--please read up on snuffles/pasturella,--it is well worth being informed,,the broad spectrum antibiotic baytril may not work well,,and a probiotic .ie.probios-should be given to keep the gitract-flora working-with the grasses,,--here is a medical link http://www.medirabbit.com -it is possible bactrim or azithromycin may be needed,...sincerely james waller:love:

Last edited:
none of bunnies should be bred from in future, best to get all netuered and then paired up and rehomed if you cannot keep them. they should remain with mum until 8-12 weeks when you will need to seperate into sexes until they are neutered, also you will need to get al lof them vaccinated. each pair should be in a 6x2x2ft hutch obviously while they are very small they stay with mum and where ever she is is best o leave her while they in the nest. hope this info helps x

Why will you have to sell the mum? :?

if iv understood correctly they only bought her to breed from hence why would sell her if not able to breed? apologies if i got that wrong?
you should keep her with a compnion prehaps one or two of her daughters? as a loving pet. x

hi i didnt get her to breed from i just needed to get her away from the situation she was in which was not a very nice place to be in

hi i didnt get her to breed from i just needed to get her away from the situation she was in which was not a very nice place to be in

fair enough my apologies i was not understanding. hoepfully you can cure the snuggles you must tell any potential new owners aboutit though as it can reoccour. hope this bun has a better start well done on getting it from a bad situation x

Back