• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

as a treat would

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
a serving of carrot be ok for Alvins tum.

my boss bought some home grown (tiny) carrots in today for my buns and i would love to let them eat them but im worried about alvins gut balance

would a one off of carrot be alright or not worth the risk???

a serving of carrot be ok for Alvins tum.

my boss bought some home grown (tiny) carrots in today for my buns and i would love to let them eat them but im worried about alvins gut balance

would a one off of carrot be alright or not worth the risk???

Reading about Alvin's problems in the past, my only concern would be;

Has Carrot triggered it before?

He has been stasis free since march, but the last thing you want is anything that may upset his gut at all.

I think personally, if it was me, i wouldn't risk it, but you know your buns :)

Reading about Alvin's problems in the past, my only concern would be;

Has Carrot triggered it before?

He has been stasis free since march, but the last thing you want is anything that may upset his gut at all.

I think personally, if it was me, i wouldn't risk it, but you know your buns :)

yeah thats my gut feeling too :cry: maybe ill give just the greens bit... he did have carrot in his diet last time his gut balance went to hell but i dont know if that was the trigger because he used to get more pellets and fruit too :oops::oops:

My guess would be that a small carrot is likely to have higher sugar content than a big grizzly old carrot, so if you want to 'do' carrot to give part of a big carrot :lol: Different types of carrot would be better or worse also.

If it helps any, my bunnies get a little bit of carrot (an inch or two) several times a week - not that that's any recommendation as they aren't the most stasis-free of bunnehs.:roll:

Once the caecum is well-balanced then minor upsets to it's flora or food that in the past would have been a trigger when bun's caecum was hypersensitised and poorly balanced is less likely to be an issue if given as a one-off, the gut becomes more resilient the longer it has been well balanced. However, that said, I would be very cautious. I don't think it would necessarily do any harm, one little piece of one as a treat, but I would not make it a regular thing as then the high carbohydrate treats are likely to put Alvin back in that place he was before and his old problems are likely to resurface.

Knowing how you get when he has stasis, I wouldn't even consider it. It's not worth it. Compare how you would feel if you couldn't give him the carrot (slightly sad) to how you would feel if he got stasis (suicidal). A no brainer, I think :D

Knowing how you get when he has stasis, I wouldn't even consider it. It's not worth it. Compare how you would feel if you couldn't give him the carrot (slightly sad) to how you would feel if he got stasis (suicidal). A no brainer, I think :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol: yeah thats about right actually... just the greens then me thinx :D

It is interesting that you brought this up Donna, cause I have been toying as to whether or not to give Jimbles a small bit of carrot as a treat but I know that he had this once or twice a week when he was getting frequent episodes so I think I will avoid too!

You eat the carrots Donna :love: I have stopped feeding mine carrots anyway because they seem to just stick to Bobby and make her fat :cry: Carlo seems almost scared of them... why?? beacuse they are orange and scary yeah? :roll:

he has some very odd ways bless him :lol: he sniffs them thumps and runs for the hills.. aghhrr orange carrots waaaahhh ... do one:lol::lol:

Back