• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloody Scab / Mites? (Warning: Graphic Photo).

amyenb

Young Bun
My rabbit Poko was treated for mites about 2 months ago, my boyfriend and I noticed that she had a massive bloody scab on her back under her fur and a lot of her fur had been pulled out. The scab was quite deep too.

Everything was fine and we took her to the vet and she was given the revolution mite medicine for kittens, she had two doses of this over the course of three weeks.

The scab healed and the fur is growing back.

A week ago another scab has appeared right above where the other one was... could she have mites again??

I thoroughly clean her cage every two-three days and vacuum everything out and scrub it with disinfectant because she had E.C. a few months ago and also to get rid of mites.

I also vacuum the house frequently and moved all the furniture and did under the beds and couches as I was paranoid.

Has anyone had their rabbit do a similar thing? Could it be the mites again or maybe stress related?

I will be taking her to the vet again.

Here is a photo of what her wound looks like:

96xcth.jpg

UPDATE:

Okay so I've just come back from the vet's today.

He believes that it was most likely a reaction from the vaccine and it probably went unnoticed until now.

The first scab she got was definitely from having the mites though.

He checked under a microscope for mites but nothing was found, regardless he said I could treat her for mites again at the end of the month.
The white flecks on her fur was just her own flaky skin.

I will be keeping an eye on her to see how she goes.

Last edited:
Ouch! Poor thing.

She hasn't had a jab recently has she?

ETA. I've just noticed you're in Australia - I know you don't have jabs for myxi over there - do you have jabs for VHD?

Ouch! Poor thing.

She hasn't had a jab recently has she?

ETA. I've just noticed you're in Australia - I know you don't have jabs for myxi over there - do you have jabs for VHD?

She was vaccinated almost four weeks ago for Calicivirus and she was a bit drowsy the first day but has been fine since apart from this second scab appearing a week ago.

It is probably mites again but I just can't understand how they managed to come back :(

I think that's the same as VHD in which case it could well be a reaction to the injection. Don't suppose you know which manufacturer it was? There have been quite a few mentions on here of rabbits who have had reactions, including extensive skin reactions, to the Cylap vaccine. I'm no expert but if it were me I'd take bun back to the vets and show them because it must be very sore and if it is a reaction they will need to know so they can let the manufacturer know.

I'd say it is a reaction to the vaccination too.

It looks to be healing, but reactions can be widespread so I'd thoroughly check all down her shoulders and under her dewlap too.

CYLAP is the only VHD (Calicivirus) Vaccine available in Australia.

https://www.pfizeranimalhealth.com.au/products/371/cylap-rcd-vaccine.aspx

Over here we now have Lapinject too and this has far less risk of adverse side effects.

I would let your Vet know what has occurred. Next time I would make sure the Vet uses a new needle to administer the vaccine from the one used to draw it up. Also, massaging the site of vaccination for a few minutes after administering it can help disperse the vaccine under the skin. The vaccine is in a nasty oil based solution and this appears to be what causes problems for some Rabbits.

Last edited:
There are a couple of little white spots in front of the fingernail which could be mite eggs although there doesn't seem to be the classic dandruff.

A couple of quick questions:

Is Poko a single bun?
Where exactly is the scab, e.g. in the scruff between the shoulders?
Is it an area she can reach with her mouth?
Has she had any antibiotics (particularly Baytril) injected recently?
When she was treated for mites did the vet scrape some skin and look through a microscope to be certain of Cheyletiella?
Are their any small wounds on her nose or lips?

Cyclap is the only calicivirus (VHD) vaccine available in Australia and produced by Fort Dodge I think.

If its the one single scab then I would say it was reaction to jab as this is what Pip had after Myxo jab! Fizz also reacted to VHD jab and although there wasnt a scab as such just an area of flaky skin!

that looks very similar to when mylo had the cyclap injection. it didnt start for about a week after he got it but it healed up fairly quick though.

I agree with the others re. vaccine reaction.

Just so you know however with regard to Cheyletiella mites - if this is what she had before or ever gets again in the future it has nothing to do with how clean you keep her living accomodation, you can calm down the cleaning on that front. Most buns have a living population of the Cheyletiella mite anyway that their immune system keeps under control and bun also controls by grooming regularly themselves. However, when a bun is immunosuppressed e.g. as when your bun had EC, or if they are not well and unable to groom properly, then the existing mite populations can get out of control and cause an infestation - which appears with clinial symptoms requiring treatment using Ivermectin usually.

You can bring in an infestation on contaminated hay from a farm that has animals carrying the mites, but generally they are around anyway, all you need to do when bun is receiving treatment is try and decrease the load in bun's environment, a quick disinfect and change of bedding/toys - you won't rid them completely, just lower the load so that when bun's immune system is back on form they can control them again themselves, so no need to be paranoid about them honestly, they usually do not cause any harm and clinical infestation is usually a sign that bun has an underlying illness instead :)

If this is another cylap issue, im so glad that Biscuit didn't have it!

That does look extremely sore though and it would definately be best for a vet to check it!

I don't know if there is a difference between the cylap in the UK and in Australia but I have been having my buns vaccinated for over 6 years with cylap (because we don't have a choice) without any reaction. I have had 4 vaccinated since April and not even had a meal missed.

I have difficulty reconciling that this would be a cylap reaction as the vaccination was 4 weeks ago. Any site reactions to injections I have seen have been evident within a week at the most. It is possible that it has gone undetected but by the information the OP has given this bun is cared for very well.

This is a quote from a Fort Dodge cylap brochure:

"site reactions seen as swellings that can sometimes lead to irritation with patches of hair loss about one week after injection."

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies, I will definitely be talking to my vet about this being a possible side effect from her vaccine.

Although it may look very sore, surprisingly she doesn't seem to be bothered when i touch it or even squeeze it a little bit (I was checking for an abscess), this could be because it has already started to heal though.

And to answer some of the questions...

Is Poko a single bun?
Yes. However, we have a kitten as well and although they aren't best friends they get along.

Where exactly is the scab, e.g. in the scruff between the shoulders?
The middle of her back but to her left side more, she can reach it when she turns around to groom her back.

Is it an area she can reach with her mouth?
Yes.

Has she had any antibiotics (particularly Baytril) injected recently?
She has had Baytril before but that was months ago.

When she was treated for mites did the vet scrape some skin and look through a microscope to be certain of Cheyletiella?
Yes she took a sample and found lots of them.

Are their any small wounds on her nose or lips?
Nope.

I don't know if there is a difference between the cylap in the UK and in Australia but I have been having my buns vaccinated for over 6 years with cylap (because we don't have a choice) without any reaction. I have had 4 vaccinated since April and not even had a meal missed.

I have difficulty reconciling that this would be a cylap reaction as the vaccination was 4 weeks ago. Any site reactions to injections I have seen have been evident within a week at the most. It is possible that it has gone undetected but by the information the OP has given this bun is cared for very well.

This is a quote from a Fort Dodge cylap brochure:

"site reactions seen as swellings that can sometimes lead to irritation with patches of hair loss about one week after injection."

I dont having seen the exact same thing happen in numerous Rabbits

Mine continued to have new reactions several MONTHS after the vaccine was given, the bare patch that was under the scab on one of mine that was the worst affected took a whole year to grow new fur, so I think it is definitely a Cylap reaction.

Okay so I've just come back from the vet's today.

He believes that it was most likely a reaction from the vaccine and it probably went unnoticed until now.

The first scab she got was definitely from having the mites though.

He checked under a microscope for mites but nothing was found, regardless he said I could treat her for mites again at the end of the month.
The white flecks on her fur was just her own flaky skin.

I will be keeping an eye on her to see how she goes.

Mine continued to have new reactions several MONTHS after the vaccine was given, the bare patch that was under the scab on one of mine that was the worst affected took a whole year to grow new fur, so I think it is definitely a Cylap reaction.

Yep :cry:

Back