• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do i start when it comes to setting up as a rescue, sanctuary, charity?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I want to setup as a rescue sanctuary and charity for animals, but i'm not sure where to start. The obvious place seems the charities commission, but does anyone have any step by step advice on setting up as a rescue or charity and what trials you have had to overcome.

I never wanted to combine my love of business and animals as i never wanted to profit from my animals. However i do need to survive and rabbits happen to be money eating creatures! My own lot gobble up my money as quickly as i get it whether it be vet bills, accommodation improvements, better diet etc. It now seems the obvious route for me to combine these two loves as i feel i'd be extremely good at it and it's two areas i'm absolutely passionate about- business and animal rescue/welfare.

I have someone who can fund-raise for me and this is something i can do myself , but i need a charity/rescue setup first. I just want to be ontop of the legalities and get started as quickly as i possibly can. Can i fund-raise via phone- are there any legalities surrounding this?

Any stories about how you setup a rescue, sanctuary or charity would be appreciated. I will be doing my own research, but it would help immensely if i could be pointed in the right direction. Any pitfalls to be aware of or things i should focus on?

Thanks
Ambience xx

p.s I need to know whether i need my own accommodation or if rented will suffice? Also what it the best way i can get started immediately. I want to get on with this path as quickly as i can. I have people around me who will set me up a fully functional website, fund-raise, and help me, but i don't have a clue on where to start with the rescuing aspect of this. Do i just setup as a limited company initially- privately or do i have to be registered as a charity to fund-raise and take in animals. Where do i find out about animals that need rescuing, would an animal taken from another rescue be considered a rescue for fundraising purposes.

What are the adoption costs for rabbits to the public- how do i go about re-homing. If re-homing isn't possible - is it still possible to raise money as a sanctuary. Can i still accept contributions to a sanctuary- what are the legalities behind this?

Is there anything i have missed- i will be handling all the general care , maintenance and my friend volunteering if i need help. My other half is absolutely supporting me in this path now- i just need to start taking the first action steps-

Any suggestions on what those should be?

Thanks xx

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, and I do mean this with the best of hearts, my advice would be to get on top of understanding and dealing with your own rabbits first. You still ask for a lot of advice and support on some fairly basic issues. When you start a rescue/charity, people are going to come to you for help and advice and expect you to know the answers and be looking after your own animals by the same standards that you would expect of others.

I would start by getting to the bottom of the health, neutering and bonding issues of your own rabbits first, and build up your knowledge over a period of time before even contemplating such a massive step. I am sure there are existing rescues out there who would happily accept support and help from you as you learn and grow your knowledge to a stage where you would be competent to do this alone. Of course you don't need to be perfect before you do that and we are all along a learning curve, but I would be really concerned that you simply don't have the knowledge to take something like this on at the moment, sorry.

Like I say, I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. A lot of people and animals will be relying on you so it's important that you have sufficient knowledge to be able to handle what is thrown at you and to provide the advice that others will request from you. Good luck x

I think the main thing to realise is that you will mainly be funding the rescue finances yourself. Our animals cost about £2500 a month- more in the winter and not including maintenance and repairs. We fund almost all of this ourselves, it should help now we are registered but I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. We are not good at 'asking for money' though and never have time to do fundraiser so if you have somebody to help with that it is good- the largest donation we have had in 12 months was the 'pledge a pound' fundraiser. Many rescues have found donations drop since the recession and you need to be sure you can cope with that. Even though we fund the rescue ourselves we are struggling because the cost of living has gone up and we had such a hard winter- these are things you must be aware of and cater for because a lot of animals rely on you.

To be perfectly honest, and I do mean this with the best of hearts, my advice would be to get on top of understanding and dealing with your own rabbits first. You still ask for a lot of advice and support on some fairly basic issues. When you start a rescue/charity, people are going to come to you for help and advice and expect you to know the answers and be looking after your own animals by the same standards that you would expect of others.

I would start by getting to the bottom of the health, neutering and bonding issues of your own rabbits first, and build up your knowledge over a period of time before even contemplating such a massive step. I am sure there are existing rescues out there who would happily accept support and help from you as you learn and grow your knowledge to a stage where you would be competent to do this alone. Of course you don't need to be perfect before you do that and we are all along a learning curve, but I would be really concerned that you simply don't have the knowledge to take something like this on at the moment, sorry.

Like I say, I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. A lot of people and animals will be relying on you so it's important that you have sufficient knowledge to be able to handle what is thrown at you and to provide the advice that others will request from you. Good luck x

That's fine i appreciate your help. Yes i am getting on top of the issues with my own animals at the moment. I wouldn't want to take any animals in until i've done swabs on whether this is pasturella, as i'll have to reconsider space here and ask my boyfriend to buy or rent a place that i can start the sanctuary. He makes quite a good income, so i'm free to pursue my dreams. I have been doing legal consultancy for businesses upto now,but this is not my passion, although i have enjoyed it.

As i am free to use my time as i wish- i'd now would like to dedicate my learning and growth towards setting up and producing the kind of sanctuary that animals can be happy and healthy in before being rehomed. This is with the backing of my partner who is fully behind me. I also have a fundraising company who i'm working along side who are also happy to help raise funds for the sanctuary, so i don't have to focus on that aspect. My boyfriend is an IT programmer and will deal with that aspect and i am free to deal with the actual sanctuary and business side.

My own rabbits see the vet week in week out and i am going through neutering for them all. I have got some of them done. I just don't want to do them all at once as they need to be kept inside and i want to make sure that i can give them 24/7 attention when they are back from the vets- something that wouldn't be possible if i did them all at once.

Again i'd be really appreciative if you could give me an indication of what areas of knowledge i need to scrub up on. Thanks.

I've actually worked in several rescues including the RSPCA and had my own animals for 20 years , and lived on a farm handling lifestock and horses. So i like to think i'm pretty well versed in care- along with reading multiple books etc. Although there is conflicting oppinions in books and on forums and from various groups of people who care for animals about best practice etc, i like to think i know what is best for my animals and those i would be prepared to rescue.

What knowledge would you suggest i'm lacking in? I'd be happy to accept any suggestions.

Thanks again
Ambience xx

I have never been involved in the running of any rescue, but I just wanted to say that as a starting point, it sounds like you have a lot to go on - but just thinking about what Santa and Halfpenny have said above that maybe there is more to think about, knowledge/experience you could gain first etc.

The only thought I had when reading your post was that you didnt say how you would cope with the practical - but especially emotional - running of the rescue.

Just thinking about things I have read on here that it must be incredibly tough at times with some of the situations you may have to rescue bunnies from, and also the kinds of people who will be phoning you up demanding you take their bunny that day etc and if you dont then x....thinking about a thread that Jill Honeybunny wrote a few weeks ago :(

So make sure you consider how you will cope and what sources of support you will have.

Also what would you if/when you want to go away on holiday? Or perhaps that wont be an issue?

Good luck x

I think the main thing to realise is that you will mainly be funding the rescue finances yourself. Our animals cost about £2500 a month- more in the winter and not including maintenance and repairs. We fund almost all of this ourselves, it should help now we are registered but I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. We are not good at 'asking for money' though and never have time to do fundraiser so if you have somebody to help with that it is good- the largest donation we have had in 12 months was the 'pledge a pound' fundraiser. Many rescues have found donations drop since the recession and you need to be sure you can cope with that. Even though we fund the rescue ourselves we are struggling because the cost of living has gone up and we had such a hard winter- these are things you must be aware of and cater for because a lot of animals rely on you.

Funding is nothing i'm worried about- i'm just concerned with the actual setup sets i.e getting registered as a charity- i can't get my partners on fundraising unless i'm registered as they won't do it for a sanctuary. My boyfriend also can cover me as he earns well in excess of that per month. I have just spoken to him and said it looks like we need a bigger place. So that's the next thing on the agenda whilst i'm organising the charity setup.

I won't be doing any fundraising- i have a company that are going to be doing it for me and taking a percentage. They are a proven company with a generating a successful income for the charities they have taken on.

I can handle the increase in animals, if neccesary i'll ask my boyfriend to employ staff. He is fully supportive now in helping me with this. The bit i'm lost with is just how to get setup as a registered charity and the requirements.

Thanks
Ambience xxx

The only thought I had when reading your post was that you didnt say how you would cope with the practical - but especially emotional - running of the rescue.

x

This is very true, there is a lot of worry involved in looking after poorly animals and also having to worry about the bills, as well as the time it taken , no matter how tired you are. You need to define what types of animals you will take- rehomes, sanctuary animals or both, or do you try to rehome 'non rehomable ones' to a sanctuary and remain a rehoming rescue. Either way you need to ba able to say no and realise you can't save them all.:(

How would you manage the finance side of things though, I doubt whether fund raising would make you enough to cover costs. I could be wrong but I think most of the folks here running rescues generally end up taking a lot out of their own pockets. Just as an example one of my rabbits ran up a bill of £400 odd in 5 days last year and others have run up far more.

This is very true, there is a lot of worry involved in looking after poorly animals and also having to worry about the bills, as well as the time it taken , no matter how tired you are. You need to define what types of animals you will take- rehomes, sanctuary animals or both, or do you try to rehome 'non rehomable ones' to a sanctuary and remain a rehoming rescue. Either way you need to ba able to say no and realise you can't save them all.:(

Yeah thats the bit that I think must be hardest of all - cos there is no 'solution' to that, you are just left with the heartache and worry. :(

Funding is nothing i'm worried about- i'm just concerned with the actual setup sets i.e getting registered as a charity- i can't get my partners on fundraising unless i'm registered as they won't do it for a sanctuary. My boyfriend also can cover me as he earns well in excess of that per month. I have just spoken to him and said it looks like we need a bigger place. So that's the next thing on the agenda whilst i'm organising the charity setup.

I won't be doing any fundraising- i have a company that are going to be doing it for me and taking a percentage. They are a proven company with a generating a successful income for the charities they have taken on.

I can handle the increase in animals, if neccesary i'll ask my boyfriend to employ staff. He is fully supportive now in helping me with this. The bit i'm lost with is just how to get setup as a registered charity and the requirements.

Thanks
Ambience xxx

I can't help you if you are in England, it is different to Scotland- in Scotland you apply to OSCAR and they send you out the things you need to know- you need trustees, a committee and a constitution. They were very helpful and kept advising us as to what needed to be done next- I think in England you need to 'earn/ raise' a certain amount before applying- but not sure.
We are in the process of becoming tax registered and becoming insured for visitors/ volunteers and we will also get a health and safety form for people to read and sign.

To set up as a registered charity you need to be bringing in £5000 in donations a year first.

I think you will find that you will always underestimate how much it costs to run and that money will disappear very quickly. Even if you stick to certain numbers it only takes a couple of poorly rabbits to take a huge chunk of the finances.

When you register as a charity there are lots of rules and regulations about fundraising, which I am now wading through. You will also need an accountant and trustees.

Besides all the paperwork/ financial side of things there is the emotional cost. Loosing bunnies and not being able to help all the rabbits you are asked to help. Giving up your home and social life to the animals, ending up with no holidays and living at the vets.

If you are going to eb a rescue and rehome you will also find you will end up with unrehomable bunnies that will permanently take up rescue spaces, which is something else to consider. Also getting rid of large quantities of waste can be a major problem.

I am sure there are loads more things, but can't think right now....

I have never been involved in the running of any rescue, but I just wanted to say that as a starting point, it sounds like you have a lot to go on - but just thinking about what Santa and Halfpenny have said above that maybe there is more to think about, knowledge/experience you could gain first etc.

Just thinking about things I have read on here that it must be incredibly tough at times with some of the situations you may have to rescue bunnies from, and also the kinds of people who will be phoning you up demanding you take their bunny that day etc and if you dont then x....thinking about a thread that Jill Honeybunny wrote a few weeks ago :(

So make sure you consider how you will cope and what sources of support you will have.

Also what would you if/when you want to go away on holiday? Or perhaps that wont be an issue?

Good luck x

I'm fine with that. No problems on the emotional support from or financial as my boyfriend will help and i'm dealing with a major fundraising company in the uk. Practically i'm thinking we need more space that's all as we are in a two bed terraced at the moment. My boyfriend has been talking about moving out into a bigger premise with land for ages, but i haven't wanted to leave here. I realise that this may be the best way to get started.

I am going to speak with one of our guys involved in fundraising and the other charity i'm involved with and see if i can start with one rescue animal, so we can start fundraising in the local area. I will then only take on as i can afford to expand, i know the costs of keeping animals as i have 18 of my own at present and there isn't a month goes by where veterinary treatment isn't needed. It's just my normal routine.

I'm aware that i won't be able to save all the animals- even if i can save one that's progress for me. I don't want to wait around on this any longer. I've waited 10 years longer than i should have messing about in other business fields where my heart is not at. Rescuing animals has always been my passion since i was younger when i used to bike for miles to the rspca and vounteer for 8 hours then bike home. I used to look after around 40 dogs, the rabbits didn't have anything like the recommendations on this site. I also looked after the cats when required and wildlife and other small animals. I've worked with horses for several years also.

I will be running the rescue, it's just a question of how well, so any advice or support woud be appreciated. I do want to have one of the best rescues in the UK. I realise this is going to take some doing, but i've got alot of resources and i'm ready to do this now.

Ambience xx

Thankyou for this- i think i'd like to do both - rehome and be open as a sanctuary if neccesary. Is it mostly single animals that need homes, pairs or groups or does it vary. What size catteries or avairys would you recommend me to line up in the garden?

Ambience x

Yeah thats the bit that I think must be hardest of all - cos there is no 'solution' to that, you are just left with the heartache and worry. :(

I'll be left with more heartache and worry if i don't start this sanctuary- I know i'm going to save alot of animals- the sooner i get started the better- the longer i wait- that's another animal that doesn't have a home as i see it especially when sanctuaries are full to bursting.

Ambience xx

I can't help you if you are in England, it is different to Scotland- in Scotland you apply to OSCAR and they send you out the things you need to know- you need trustees, a committee and a constitution. They were very helpful and kept advising us as to what needed to be done next- I think in England you need to 'earn/ raise' a certain amount before applying- but not sure.
We are in the process of becoming tax registered and becoming insured for visitors/ volunteers and we will also get a health and safety form for people to read and sign.

I'm in England. Yes i though it was £1000 you need to raise last time i checked- but this may have changed.

Ambience xx

To set up as a registered charity you need to be bringing in £5000 in donations a year first.

I think you will find that you will always underestimate how much it costs to run and that money will disappear very quickly. Even if you stick to certain numbers it only takes a couple of poorly rabbits to take a huge chunk of the finances.

When you register as a charity there are lots of rules and regulations about fundraising, which I am now wading through. You will also need an accountant and trustees.

Besides all the paperwork/ financial side of things there is the emotional cost. Loosing bunnies and not being able to help all the rabbits you are asked to help. Giving up your home and social life to the animals, ending up with no holidays and living at the vets.

If you are going to eb a rescue and rehome you will also find you will end up with unrehomable bunnies that will permanently take up rescue spaces, which is something else to consider. Also getting rid of large quantities of waste can be a major problem.

I am sure there are loads more things, but can't think right now....

Can this be a donation from myself or my boyfriend-He said he would be happy to do this for me.

My vets are pretty good but i always allow several hundred a month for vet bills even if it only ends up costing me £50-£100. I appreciate i'd have to factor in an illness allowance for any animals i take in.

I don't really have a social life with all my animals- i'm mainly business and caring for my animals oriantated. I do live at the vets now :) Fortunately it's just down the road :)) I don't go on holiday except for a maximum of four days and have someone to cover me whilst i'm gone. I would have to consider hiring someone whilst i'm away- (well my boyfriend can hire someone). He has all the money, i don't but he has agreed to support me in this.

I currently have a commercial contract for my bins to rid of my rabbit waste for £40 a quater. I only get my extra bin taken away once a week, but i can increase this to daily for the rescue. I just need to amend my existing contract.

I think for now the best thing is to start a website for the rescue. Get the place organised ready for new buns. I have a full shed doing nothing at the moment and a 6x2x2 hutch in my living room that could be used. I want to get my own fully sorted first, but then i can just add for each bunny i take in. Obviously i wont be rescuing until i have got swabs done. This may mean putting down flooring in the house and bringing my lot in and keeping rescues outside or vice versa. Although i'm not sure how my bunnys would be able to fit in this house, giving them a 6 x 4 ft area each.

Thankyou for your advice. I'm still open to any more suggestions. Thankyou xxxx

Ambience xx

We originally estimated our vet bills to be around £400 - £500 per month, in 2 years that has risen to £1500 a month :shock:

If another company is doing your fundraising then how much control would you have over spending it? I know there are rules about using professional fundraisers on the charity commissions website.

There is a huge difference between helping out other rescues or having large amounts of animals yourself to becoming a rescue/sanctuary. I don't think you can ever be prepared for it, as you really can't appreciate the difference until you go there.

Another thought is that you definately need a quarantine area and strict hygiene standards

That's fine i appreciate your help. Yes i am getting on top of the issues with my own animals at the moment. I wouldn't want to take any animals in until i've done swabs on whether this is pasturella,

Again i'd be really appreciative if you could give me an indication of what areas of knowledge i need to scrub up on. Thanks.

Sounds like you've got a good attitude and want to learn, so that's definitely a good start :)

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, things like your knowledge on pasteurella concern me. It's not a simple case of swab telling you what it is and therefore making the assumption that you have a pasteurella outbreak. When you first had this problem a few weeks back you didn't understand why I asked you if all the buns with the problem are related. It's things like this - understanding the 'why' to a diagnosis and drilling into the cause of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms.

Also things like asking a lot of questions about what size housing, shelter and exercise is appropriate. It's all good stuff and really positive that you are asking for opinions, but in all honesty it's the sort of stuff that people will be asking you and if you're getting to the point where you're really going to do this, it's the sort of thing that you really should understand enough about just to get on with, in my opinion.

I think it's a really fine line, because on the one hand if you don't ask and just plough ahead, there's a risk that you could become very dogmatic and stubborn even if there are things that could be done better by learning from others (I don't think you are at all like this by the way :) ) versus needing so much information that it gives the impression that you're not really at the stage yet where you're really genuinely able to do this.

It's also things like 'I've got this hutch I can put there and this shed here' or 'making do' because that rings alarm bells of hoarding and getting as many animals in as possible, rather than really thinking through how many you can cope with managing - not just financially but emotionally, quarantine etc.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative because it's not meant to be and others may completely disagree with me of course, I just didn't want to leave your question unanswered :)

Back