• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hutches, would you buy them?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Would you purchase a really well made, good sized, handmade rabbit hutch if the people who made it were also rabbit breeders?

I came across a website for fantastic hutches for sale that are made as a hobby at weekends, but then found they also breed :? Maybe that means there rabbits are kept in good hutches too :?

yes.
Even if i was against breeding, i would still buy the hutches if i wanted them.

just like i would buy crops from a farmer who also farms animals for meat. Even though i am against killing animals for my food.

As long as they are treating thier animals in a non cruel way.

Having had a better look at their site as breeders go they sound very good. Their rabbitry is very clean with air conditioning, hutches 4 x2 x 2 or 6x 2 x 2. Babies don;t go until 8 to 12 weeks and they offer to get them vaccinated first through their own vet :)

never thought about it.Got a fab hutch for my kids...from a hutch making company who dont breed, but didnt pick that specifically.
Come to think of it, I prolly would pick a hutch even if they did breed.Perhaps the cash made from the hutch would go to the buns???Would certainly hope it would....but the hutch would have to be good.......

I guess it depends on whether their buns are kept properly, if they are 'responsible' breeders and keep their bunnies well i dont see why you shouldnt you're not buying bunnies! At the end of the day we probably come in contact with lots of people that breed rabbits and have no idea!

I got a lot of hutches for Kris from a breeder, they were downsizing hence selling the hutches, Kris needed bigger hutches and these were a good price so I didn't have a problem :wave:

I guess it depends on whether their buns are kept properly, if they are 'responsible' breeders and keep their bunnies well i dont see why you shouldnt you're not buying bunnies! At the end of the day we probably come in contact with lots of people that breed rabbits and have no idea!

Yes I agree, generally the 'bad' ones certainly won't go round telling everyone.

yes if the hutch was what i wanted. if they are good hutches would you mine sending me the link please. really need a hutch but can't find what i want

Yes. If they start to make more money from the hutches over the rabbits then maybe they would start to sell less rabbits...

I'm probably being very niave... But why are breeders bad in your opinion? I've come across 3 breeders in my time and they were the most lovely people who dearly loved their buns and treated them wonderfully! Are we talking about people who treat their bunnies as breeding machines? One of the breeders I know has a son who is now a rabbit savvy vet and the best vet I know! He's wonderful! Although I don't know his feeling on his mum breeding rabbits...

Sorry, I like to know people's opinions on things, and I'm probably being super niave! :)

Yes I would. I wouldn't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. Secondly as Jenova says it may cause them to sell more hutches and breed less.

Could you let it slip that you are a rescue? It might spark a conversation and they may think twice about breeding.

Having had a better look at their site as breeders go they sound very good. Their rabbitry is very clean with air conditioning, hutches 4 x2 x 2 or 6x 2 x 2. Babies don;t go until 8 to 12 weeks and they offer to get them vaccinated first through their own vet :)

based on this maybe, only because my OH got my bigs from a breeder who was like this, though without the air con, my OH was not allowed to bring him home any erlier than 12 weeks and she had ooooodles of space for her buns

I'm probably being very niave... But why are breeders bad in your opinion? I've come across 3 breeders in my time and they were the most lovely people who dearly loved their buns and treated them wonderfully! Are we talking about people who treat their bunnies as breeding machines? One of the breeders I know has a son who is now a rabbit savvy vet and the best vet I know! He's wonderful! Although I don't know his feeling on his mum breeding rabbits...

Sorry, I like to know people's opinions on things, and I'm probably being super niave! :)

This is a rescue forum and is affiliated with Rabbit Rehome the rescue site. There are 33,000 buns in rescues, every bred rabbit takes away a potential home for those rescues and could potentially add to that number. Many on here have to pick up the pieces when people no longer want their rabbits.

Oh that makes sense :) I was just wondering. Both my buns are from people I know (well I knew of) who no longer wanted their buns :( Charlie had bad teeth and I guess my friends aunty didn't think he was worth the expense :( I think he's worth the world and more :evil: and April was apparently too difficult to look after because they wanted her to be a house bun and she wee'd everywhere! She was 3 months old!!!... And she's now compltely litter trained and the best little bun!! (I think she was from a breeder come to think about it...)

I was silly not to think of that reason... seeing as that's why I have my buns!

Yes I would. I wouldn't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. Secondly as Jenova says it may cause them to sell more hutches and breed less.

Could you let it slip that you are a rescue? It might spark a conversation and they may think twice about breeding.

I wont be ordering any they are much too expensive for us

Back