• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are cats dangerous to buns?

molly35

Mama Doe
I often let my buns freerange in the back yard but I've noticed some cats hanging around recently (new neighbours I think). Will cats go for buns?

One of my cats I have seen attempt to go for my bunnies.. the other is scared of them... so I would never trust a cat I do not know.

So what do all you freerangers do about cats? Its not as though you can stop them getting in and my buns like a run around as its definately a lot bigger space than their run!

I only let my bunnies out in the garden when I am sitting with them.. sometimes for hours.....

I have metal pens that I set up around their playhouses where they are allowed to play as they cannot go near the fences due to dogs either side of me.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES... They are.

A cat killed my bunny :(

He had free range time in our garden morning before work and evening when I got home for 2.5 years and was the happiest bun I've ever had. I never went far when he was free range and he played with next door's cat very happily. They loved each other (would lay together and even groom each other!). One day I went to shut him away after breakfast and a giant tom cat I'd never seen before was carrying him off. I managed to chase the cat and get him back but it was too late. There were no external injuries so I think he died of shock.

I will never let a bun free range outside again... It was a hard lesson to learn.

The bunny I have now come in the house morning and evening so she still has the chance to explore/play, but never outside unless she's in her run. I know she would be happier playing out but it's too high a price to pay...

Last edited:

He had free range time in our garden morning before work and evening when I got home for 2.5 years and was the happiest bun I've ever had. I never went far when he was free range and he played with next door's cat very happily. They loved each other (would lay together and even groom each other!). One day I went to shut him away after breakfast and a giant tom cat I'd never seen before was carrying him off. I managed to chase the cat and get him back but it was too late. There were no external injuries so I think he died of shock.

I will never let a bun free range outside again... It was a hard lesson to learn.

I am so sorry - how sad :cry:

Oh no I am so sorry. Now I am worried, it would break my heart if anything happened to my 2. I just hate them being cooped up in a run all the time even though it is a big run!

The bunny I have now come in the house morning and evening so she still has the chance to explore/play, but never outside unless she's in her run. I know she would be happier playing out but it's too high a price to pay...

I'm so sorry :(

I never let mine free range as there are too many cats around here. Apart from anything else, I'm worried the cats might have fleas that might pass something on to the buns.

Cats can definitely kill rabbits. Don't trust them to be around rabbits, unless they were your own cats and you were sure they were used to them. My cats killed a huge hare before, that was bigger than a cat.

And even if they just bit or scratched your rabbit, it could get a terrible infection and die. :(

Back