• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does insurance work?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I am thinking of getting my four insured, after the stasis episode with Twinkle a few months back, but am concerned that they do not treat previous problems.

So does that mean if Twinkle ever gets stasis again (which I assume is quite likely?) I cannot claim for treatment? There was no underlying cause for the stasis found as far as I know.

Thank you :D

they wont cover stasis if the bun has had it previously. altho im sure i read on this forum that someone was getting the exclusion removed after a set amount of time if stasis didnt occur, cant remember who it was tho :oops::oops:

quite sure you wouldn't be able to claim for it as it's a pre exiting condition now.

How much did it cost you? usually there's an excess of around £50 anyway.

I'm no expert but I just insured my 2 with petplan. They had both been treated for mites at their inital vet checkup then I had some more skin tests done on Kane because he had bald patches which the vet couldn't explain. As it turned out, the skin scrapes and hair pulls came back negative, he was just having a really bad moult, possibly caused by the stress of moving to a new home.
Anyway, petplan have excluded any skin disorders on both their policies - apparently they review the exclusions each year so i will keep an eye on it and hopefully have the exclusion removed next year.
So yes, they will probably put an exclusion on for Twinkle based on her recent treatment.
I have also ended up with an exclusion for hormone disorders for Sparkle which I am currently arguing about - what they seem to be saying it because the tests didn't show anything up, Sparkles bald patch could be hormone related (even though she is spayed and they never requested a vet history - I've now had that sent to them).
It would still be worth it though, especially if the exclusion only stays for a year. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. :)

quite sure you wouldn't be able to claim for it as it's a pre exiting condition now.

How much did it cost you? usually there's an excess of around £50 anyway.

How much did Twinkle's stasis cost? About £800-£900 .. hence why I am not sure whether insuring now is a good idea as if it happens again, I will be paying insurance for nothing..

Twinkle may not be covered for stasis, but if any of your other bunnies get it it will be £800 - £900 saved :wave:

I am so very glad for insurance, I barely touched last year's allowance and was unsure about renewing it, but I did and have now maxed out my £2k annual allowance in a single week, and there may be a bit more to come with checkups further down the line...

Back