• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chance's story...

As some of you know, I work for Furry Friends rescue in Old Coulsdon and take care of all bunny related things (as well as rodents and some dogs!). We have been so busy lately (I am sure other rescues have been too) and had so many unwanted animals come in, plus more on the waiting list. All animals have their own story to tell, but I wanted to share one with you as this little lad is very special and needs lots of healing vibes.

Chance came in when the owners were moving to a flat and he couldn't go with them. They begged us to take him as the move was very soon. They then informed us that Chance has dental problems and that his teeth were growing into his tongue. We asked them to bring Chance in immediately and so they did. When they dropped him off they informed me he had not eaten all day and so I booked him in for an emergency appointment with our local vet.

First of all, I will show you how he lived...

This is his water bottle. Thick with algae and its even growing on the spout. Poor little mite didn't have the right to clean water....

HPIM6625.jpg

HPIM6622.jpg

I should have taken a photo of his hutch, it was thick in a few layers of faeces and urine. This is where he spend 2 years living, in a 4ft hutch that is too small for him to stand up in. The hair on the back of his ears is gone and I wonder if this is due to them constantly rubbing on the roof of the hutch.

Now say hello to Chance....

HPIM6606.jpg

He is molting, but thats no excuse...
HPIM6603.jpg

You can see the state his belly is in. That is thick poo and wee. The smell was repulsive.
HPIM6611.jpg

HPIM6614.jpg

Thats a few years worth of poo and wee matted in that coat...

HPIM6615.jpg

He is such a good boy. I think he was enjoying all the attention!

HPIM6616.jpg

HPIM6618.jpg

Can't see too well on the photo, but there are sores on his hind legs.

HPIM6619.jpg

This foot was thick in mess :(
HPIM6620.jpg

HPIM6621.jpg

We took him to our vet who said his teeth are not too bad. Even if they were, putting him under would be very risky as he is literally skin and bone. There is nothing to him. Holding him is like carrying a piece of paper :(

The vet also said his tummy is full of gas which is very worrying. We have asked our vet to get in contact with the previous vet so we can find out exactly what is/was wrong with him (the old owners didn't seem too sure). At least this way we will have a full history on him.

Luckily some critical care got him interested in food and he is eating. Just need him to put weight and get him on the road to recovery.

Keep this little lad in your thoughts as he is not out the woods yet! He is a friendly lad and not a bad bone in his body. Such a sweet little man and does not deserve what has happened to him :love:

Oh poor Chance ......... he looks like a real cutie and sounds like he has a lovely character ....... how can people be so cruel??

Sending tons of vibes for Chance xx

Last edited:
Awwhh, the poor boy :(

My Daphne's front feet sometimes get like that - she's a dental bunny and she often dribbles on her feet and the fur clumps together. I dip her feets in a warm cup of water a couple of times a week for her and soak the fur for a minute or two.

Daphne is a very fuzzy lionhead... I'm amazed Chance got into such a state as he looks short furred. I can't even begin to imagine the dirt he must have been sat in to cause all that. :(

Awwhh, the poor boy :(

My Daphne's front feet sometimes get like that - she's a dental bunny and she often dribbles on her feet and the fur clumps together. I dip her feets in a warm cup of water a couple of times a week for her and soak the fur for a minute or two.

Daphne is a very fuzzy lionhead... I'm amazed Chance got into such a state as he looks short furred. I can't even begin to imagine the dirt he must have been sat in to cause all that. :(

He isn't dribbly at all and our vet said his teeth look fine. Its all a bit odd which is why we want to speak to his old vet. :?

I think he is another case of people getting bored :(

He isn't dribbly at all and our vet said his teeth look fine. Its all a bit odd which is why we want to speak to his old vet. :?

I think he is another case of people getting bored :(

That's odd. Daphne never seems to look dribbly, her chin is normally dry, but I'm sure her feet are getting a bit manky because she's dribbling, there's not really anywhere else the moisture can be coming from. She had her one incisor filed down yesterday so hopefully that'll help her until I can get it removed again. :)

Perhaps Chance's owners told you he had dental problems as a kind of cover up for his condition. I guess they thought you'd assume he was in a state becuase he was unable to groom himself properly rather than because they kept him so badly. :( Has he improved at all since he arrived with you?

The poor little lad.:shock: I hope he makes a good recovery now that he is being properly cared for. :wave:

The photo of the bottle says it all really, I mean how long does it take to clean a water bottle? If the owners couldn't even be bothered to do that....:(:censored:

Lots of love and vibes for Chance, please keep us updated!:wave: xx

Oh the poor little soul...such disgusting conditions - there really is no excuse....he looks like a lovely little chap - so happy he now has a chance with you - come 'on little man - we rooting for you!:love:

That's odd. Daphne never seems to look dribbly, her chin is normally dry, but I'm sure her feet are getting a bit manky because she's dribbling, there's not really anywhere else the moisture can be coming from. She had her one incisor filed down yesterday so hopefully that'll help her until I can get it removed again. :)

Perhaps Chance's owners told you he had dental problems as a kind of cover up for his condition. I guess they thought you'd assume he was in a state becuase he was unable to groom himself properly rather than because they kept him so badly. :( Has he improved at all since he arrived with you?

Its odd because they wanted to check out the rabbits I had in and have a look round. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of how my animals are kept and am more than happy for people to look, just for a rabbit to turn up in this state then they seem to be concerned as to where he was going...

They have been ringing me too asking if we have taken him to the vet for a dental. I am not sure if they realise how bad he really is. As I said, even if he did need a dental at this stage a GA is so risky because of how skinny he is.

They proudly handed me that water bottle as if they were doing me a favour and they were very proud of the hutch they dropped off with him...its all very strange. Hopefully we will hear from their vets soon and find out the truth.

Its odd because they wanted to check out the rabbits I had in and have a look round. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of how my animals are kept and am more than happy for people to look, just for a rabbit to turn up in this state then they seem to be concerned as to where he was going...

They have been ringing me too asking if we have taken him to the vet for a dental. I am not sure if they realise how bad he really is. As I said, even if he did need a dental at this stage a GA is so risky because of how skinny he is.

They proudly handed me that water bottle as if they were doing me a favour and they were very proud of the hutch they dropped off with him...its all very strange. Hopefully we will hear from their vets soon and find out the truth.

Sheesh! Imagine what their house is like if they think that water bottle is OK. :mrgreen:
Really glad Chance has an opportunity for TLC & hopefully good health.
Mega vibes for getting him back on track.

Sheesh! Imagine what their house is like if they think that water bottle is OK. :mrgreen:
Really glad Chance has an opportunity for TLC & hopefully good health.
Mega vibes for getting him back on track.

Thanks everyone for caring about Chance. He has stopped eating again so I will give him some Critical Care now. Just don't want him to give up :(

Just had some bunnies dumped on us in worse condition. One may be terminal :'( I think I will do a story on them too :( What a sad week :(

Sorry to hear this :(, but it's good these poor bunnies have found their way to you and are getting love and care now. :love:

Thanks everyone for caring about Chance. He has stopped eating again so I will give him some Critical Care now. Just don't want him to give up :(

Just had some bunnies dumped on us in worse condition. One may be terminal :'( I think I will do a story on them too :( What a sad week :(

So sorry this is all ending up at your door :(

I can't believe how cruel and un-caring people can be about buns and other animals, makes me feel quite sick.

Lots of vibes for Chance and all the other buns you have

Sending lots of love and vibes for Chance. So sorry you're having such a hard week, hope all the buns can make it. Will look out for their story-lots of vibes for them also xx

It's hard to believe that people can allow an animal to get in such a state! Surely they cannot be that ignorant! :(

Back