• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dizzi's being Spayed on Thursday and I'm a nervous wreck already!!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
......... she will be ok won't she!?!?

I just keep looking at her and thinking she's only a baby! She'll be 19 weeks old on Friday.

I'm setting up a pen in the living room for when she comes home, I've got loads of treats in and ordered some critical care ....... which reminds me, where can I get syringes from?? I'll get plenty of her fave veggies in too and I've got a nice soft cat bed for her to snooze on.

Is there anything else I need to do/get prior to her going to the vets??

Jo xx

You're doing all the right things. She'll be fine! :)

Take some of her regular food and hay with you to the vets so they can give it to her when she wakes up.

Ask the vet for some syringes, they will give you a couple im sure, ours did when Biscuit was castrated. Make sure you get some pain killers to come home with too. Biscuit didn't have any (i hadn't joined RU at the time) but everyone here seems to recommend asking the vet for some to come home with.

As Dizzi is a girl, it'll take her a good few days to get back to normal, but the most important thing is to get her eating again. Banana / apple / pineapple seems quite a common favourite food, so good idea to maybe have some of that in.

Keeping her indoors for a few days will allow her the warmth she needs as they can't regulate their body temps after a GA (Thanks Amy104 for this!).

Hope this helps to re-assure you :)

I'm sure all will go fine! I have to say tho it's a flippin horrible experience the guilt you feel putting your happy healthy little furry through something traumatic and painful is truely awful :(

I would definately ask to bring home some metacam (painkiller) don't let them fob you off with a 'she's had some that will last 24hrs'!! It took Daisy several days to start eating more like normal! I split a daily painkiller dose into two and gave half in the morning and half in the evening each time she perked up and ate a bit more! I constantly pestered her waving little bits of parsley and basil under her nose to try to get her to eat! I also had a shallow water bowl next to her! She will be very quiet and subdued! Keep an eye on her to makesure she doesn't nibble her wound also, if you can, try and get a look at it to makesure it's not bleeding or weeping!

Thanks everyone ..... is there anywhere online that I could buy Metacam just to make sure I have some in (in case I forget to ask the vet due to the trauma)!?!

Ohhh tell me about the guilt ..... I've been spoiling them rotten (even more than usual) this week so far .... I just feel awful every time I look at her, she's sooo cute and pretty and small ....... and I feel like a big bad bunneh mummeh!!

Rascal's already had his 'op' a few weeks ago and that was bad enough (I was almost in tears leaving him at the vets) so knowing that Dizzi's op is going to be bigger and take more getting over is throwing me into a panic!

I'll make sure I have some 'nana in as well as veggies, herbs and treats as she does love a bit of 'nana .... her little bum twitches whenever she eats it!

xx

Unfortunately you can't buy metacam as it's prescription only! Write it on the hand you key in your credit card no. with that should do it!!! She will be ok! You just have to find some major things to distract yourself with on Thursday it's a loooooong time waiting to make that phonecall!!!

Unfortunately you can't buy metacam as it's prescription only! Write it on the hand you key in your credit card no. with that should do it!!! She will be ok! You just have to find some major things to distract yourself with on Thursday it's a loooooong time waiting to make that phonecall!!!

Good idea ....I just know I'll be in such a state there'll be something I forget to mention.... happen I best write it now and just avoid washing that part of my hand! .......... or make a list!! But then I have to remember to take it with me and actually look at it! :lol:

I'm really dreading it! I've been putting off housework jobs so that I can save them for Thursday..... and there's Rascal to spend some time with ....... I'm saving up all my V+ programmes to watch ..... Oh and there's always RU!!! Hopefully that little lot should keep me occupied for a bit!

Thanks again xx

Make a list of what you want to ask now, and tape it to the top of her carrier - then you can't forget it! (I have to do this - but it works :lol:)

Hope all goes well for her. Try and keep calm yourself, as bunnies pick up on stressy humans (not easy, I know, but keeping yourself busy is such a good idea)

Lots of vibes for the wee girlie for Thursday xxxxx

Make a list of what you want to ask now, and tape it to the top of her carrier - then you can't forget it! (I have to do this - but it works :lol:)

Hope all goes well for her. Try and keep calm yourself, as bunnies pick up on stressy humans (not easy, I know, but keeping yourself busy is such a good idea)

Lots of vibes for the wee girlie for Thursday xxxxx

That's a brilliant idea ..... thanks very much!

I may even have a spray of my Bachs calm remedy stuff before I even attempt to put her in the carrier ..... luckily she seems to go in it quite easily (especially if she spies a treat in there) so at least that bit's straight forward.

thanks again everyone

Jo xx

Back