• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU HELP! Biscuit's turned into a naughty bunny and i dont know what to do!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Morning all.

Biscuit's really found his strenght over the last 4 days.

I've put a sheet over the top of the 4x4 pen, but he's now realised that its on there tight enough that he can jump on top of the sheet, clamber to the top of the hutch and then escape onto the sofa and around the house.

I've put him back twice this morning and i dont really want to lock him in the 4x4 but i dont know what choice i have as he wont stay in at the moment and i've got work to do !

HELP!

Image of escape routine...

projectplaypen11.jpg

As you can see, he jumps from the open area infront of the 4x4 up onto the sheet then across. You can see the bunny sized 'dent' in the sheet.

What do i do?

This could cause some major problems!:(

He's now locked in the 4x4 :cry::cry::cry:

I'm so distressed. On the upside, he let me pick him up to put him back in his pen as i think he was a bit scared.

I dont know what to do now. I feel like i've wasted money making a better home for him and now theres nothing else i can do :(

I have to get this sorted, as if he does this whilst the OH is indoors, i'll have a big row on my hands and the chance for a playmate for him will be right out the window.

So ...i duno, angry with myself, upset, distressed, frustrated and feel so so sorry for Biscuit. He's sat at the door of the 4x4 looking at me as if to say "why am i stuck in here dad? I want to be out there with you!"

:(

maybe if u try removing the hutch? then there is nothin for him to climb on? but im sure u said he gets upset if thats moved?

It's not the hutch he's getting on top of now unforutnately, he just jumps on to the sheeting which is tight enough that he can walk/crawl across it.

Thanks though :)

It's not the hutch he's getting on top of now unforutnately, he just jumps on to the sheeting which is tight enough that he can walk/crawl across it.

but if the hutch wasnt there, then he wouldnt have anythin to climb on to get out so maybe u wouldnt need the sheet?

Guess i know what i'm doing at lunchtime... :(

its dead cheap at homebase for loads, you could get enough to cover the open area, i used to have to cover my cage because Pearl was an escape artist.. not used it since she died tho as i now have two very lazy buns

its dead cheap at homebase for loads, you could get enough to cover the open area, i used to have to cover my cage because Pearl was an escape artist.. not used it since she died tho as i now have two very lazy buns

is it this stuff you mean donna?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=115594&Trail=searchtext>NET

i think so yeah. its on a huge roll and you can buy it by the metre. think there may be a cheaper one than £3.99 tho unless prices have gone up loads :shock:

They have this

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=183227&Trail=searchtext>NET

But theres no image so i dont know what it looks like :roll:

That's £1.29 for 2m x 1m so i'd only need say, 3x that just to make sure?

I don't really want to cover the outside bit as it won't look very nice and will be a pain to take down and store every night.

*Sigh* Why does everything have to be so difficult!

One of our buns just used to jump out of the pen - we couldn't believe it! We got some black mesh stuff from homebase and clipped it on the pen - he was miffed at first but got the message that he couldn't escape! Didn't cost a lot either. You will need a fair few clips though, as our bun looked for any little gap to get through - he even tried climbing up the bars (thought he was a cat!) :)

One of our buns just used to jump out of the pen - we couldn't believe it! We got some black mesh stuff from homebase and clipped it on the pen - he was miffed at first but got the message that he couldn't escape! Didn't cost a lot either. You will need a fair few clips though, as our bun looked for any little gap to get through - he even tried climbing up the bars (thought he was a cat!) :)

Biccy does EXACTLY the same, he can climb the bars then through himself off them, crazy little fluffy ball of terror!

I've got 60 pegs, that should do the trick !

Closest homebase is nearly 30 minutes away, my lunch hour is 60 minutes, that poses an issue :roll:

My Paddy is an escape artist too, he learnt to jump over 2 nic grids (just over 2ft) them he learnt to jump over 3! That's about 3.5 foot! I now have to peg a sheet over the whole of their living area to stop him from getting out :roll: I have to be quick when I'm feeding them in the morning cos the second I pull the sheet back he tries to jump :roll:

:?we have one of these pen things too. Rather than go over it, mylo is tryin to lift it up, hes not gona be able too though (i hope) hes a tiny rabbit tryin to lift loads of metal!

:?we have one of these pen things too. Rather than go over it, mylo is tryin to lift it up, hes not gona be able too though (i hope) hes a tiny rabbit tryin to lift loads of metal!

Does he put his nose under one of the horizontal bars and push up?

if so, Biscuit did the same in his first pen and occasionally now. He's just testing himself, he won't be able to lift it :)

Could you let him freerange the hallway instead, blocking off anywhere you don't want him to go, using the puppy panels? Ditto the living room or kitchen?

I tried restricting Louie to a puppypen at night time. He used to go mad trying to move and lift the run to escape. I confined him to the conservatory/kitchen (all one room) and just blocked off the wires to the telly and freezer. He now gets that room plus the hall as I thought he would get too hot in the summer in the conservatory. The only thing we did to bunny proof the hall was some trunking for the phone wire and the same for the internet connection.

I seriously think if any area is left uncovered, Biscuit is going to find a way to escape. I assume this will probably stop when he gets bigger, and you may be able to allow him a little more of an open area then.

If I were you, I'd remove the hutch, create a large rectangular area with the pen you have in the corner, maybe taking it up to your door, and see if you can somehow use any left over panels for the top, or use mesh as suggested to cover the top. You could make a bed for him out of a cardboard fruit box and vetbed (Loxxy has this and hasn't chewed it yet). I was going to suggest making him a whee house he can go in from a cardboard box, before going to the expense of buying yet another thing which doesn't work out! If it turns out to work, then you could look to buy a better one. Do bear in mind, however, if he has a box he can climb on, he's going to try to 'raise the roof'. Maybe you could cut him a door in a box, but stand it with the open end up so there's nothing for him to jump on, but he will still have something he can go into.

These are just some suggestions as you seem to be spending more money every day trying to keep him in and it is upsetting when you originally planned to have him 'open plan' now finding that you have to shut him in more often than not. Biscuit will have plenty of room to run around, and the removal of the hutch would give him more room in there, and also recover some of your sitting room for human occupation ;)

Could you let him freerange the hallway instead, blocking off anywhere you don't want him to go, using the puppy panels? Ditto the living room or kitchen?

I tried restricting Louie to a puppypen at night time. He used to go mad trying to move and lift the run to escape. I confined him to the conservatory/kitchen (all one room) and just blocked off the wires to the telly and freezer. He now gets that room plus the hall as I thought he would get too hot in the summer in the conservatory. The only thing we did to bunny proof the hall was some trunking for the phone wire and the same for the internet connection.

I tried the hall way originally, but the slippery floor was too much for him and rugs are quite an expensive bunny expenditure (OH to take into consideration) and it was very difficult to block things off, well, difficult to block the stairs off anyway, he just moved everything to get up the stairs anyway!

Think my issue is i'd need to buy so much pen to proof the room that im not sure its viable, but then i guess, that is an idea i could try!

My hearts just a bit sunken this morning since i had to lock him in as im so busy working this morning (yes, i do something else other than post on RU:lol:). His poor little face just looking at me when i go down toc heck on him.

Biccy does EXACTLY the same, he can climb the bars then through himself off them, crazy little fluffy ball of terror!

I've got 60 pegs, that should do the trick !

Closest homebase is nearly 30 minutes away, my lunch hour is 60 minutes, that poses an issue :roll:
Homebase do home delivery.

Back