• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey Just had a fall and nail hanging off

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Baileys just tried to do another stupid jump she cant make and landed on her back, not from a great hight but high enough...
she seems fine, eating and drinking but her most outside claw on her foot appears to now be at a rather dodgey outward pointing angle and is bleeding... im really worried, like i said seems fine though... it appears that the injury is at the root of the claw but she wont let me have a good look
Please anyone got any help? x

Hi,

My Mischa broke off a nail and it bled quite a bit. I googled and came up with flour and put some of that on it which really helped stop the blood. Some pressure on it should help too. If it doesn't stop you need to get him to an emergency vet. He should be ok once it stops though. Just keep an eye that he's eating ok.

shes eating fine, had a good drink right after it happend aswell, it had stoped but i just pulled the fur back around the nail to get a better look and 3 big drops of blood came out on the carpet, im pretty sure its ripped out partially at the root :? this is gonna mean a vets visit isnt it

If it was me I'd keep an eye on it and see what it's like in the morning. If there's no more blood it might be ok but if you're still concerned a vet's trip is always a good idea.

I've had that incident with Mischa and also I've found a random nail when cleaning out before. I don't think it's a rare occurrence for it to happen. Keeping them short probably helps.

Oh and sorry about the he/she mix-up! It's a bit late and my brain might've stopped working. :oops:

Thats ok :D it is a boy/girl name, By the looks of it lastnight it looked like it may of split straight down the middle, it literally looked like it was bleeding inside the nail so i thnk shes definetley messed it up, it stoped bleeding quite quickley lastnight, im gonna try get a good look today, i dont mind paying for the vets but obvioulsey if it can be avoided id rather save the money for a proper Bailey emergency ;) x

Glad to hear it's a bit better. I try to avoid the vets if I can cos it really stresses them out (plus the money aspect of course!).

Back