• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Behaviour advice needed. At my wits end...........

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
This is a story of bitter sweet, but either way, noodle is breaking my heart giving me mixed signals......

I have NEVER had a cuddle bun (ie one that wants and ENJOYS being picked up).... that is until now.

i dont know if its linked to noodles new disability but she WILL NOT leave me alone. When i go into the run she is climbing up me, pawing at me until i pick her up. Then her teeth grind and she LOVES it. She loves to be cuddled and picked up.

Now both noodle and twiglet have an annoying biting habit, when your in their way or when they want something they just nip you. Twiglet has been speyed and this is wearing off. But due to Noodles op she is still 'intact' until she has made a full full recovery.

Now.....when noodle wants to be picked up- she bites. So i pick her up, she loves it, then bites my arm, jacket, zip etc leaving bruises... so naturally i yelp, shout 'no' and gently push her off me........and then she turns round and climbs back up again for more cuddles........

why is she biting? she really wants to be picked up and is not happy unless i am holding her, but then why nibble me???? Im hoping this will be solved when she is speyed but why is she giving mixed signals??

i wore a different jacket today, i dont think its that and the jacket hasnt been by other bunnies.....

advice please. It really is bitter sweet. I sat there smiling at how much she wanted to be cuddled but then i get these really painful bites....

Twiglet is starting to want to be held now as she is getting jelous. She hated being held before but now she watches then comes over for a bit....

I would do the same as I would with a puppy so say 'No' don't shout but put her down when she does it for a couple of minutes and then pick her up, everytime she bites say 'No' firmly and put her down, she will eventually make the connection, I would hazard a guess that it is your fabric and it's a nuzzling affectionate thing but, yes I agree better to try and train her not to do it to hoomins. That is what they do to each other when playing, grooming though so she isn't being aggressive IMO just misguided.

The alternative is to sit on the floor with her but, don't pick her up, when she is nudging etc put your head down to hers to let her sniff you and lower your face lower than her head - then stroke her. Sounds like they just love you and are trying to get more attention, if she sits nicely and is a good bunneh try rewarding with a bit of herb aswell and saying good girl to her so she knows which behaviour you like and which you don't.

I would do the same as I would with a puppy so say 'No' don't shout but put her down when she does it for a couple of minutes and then pick her up, everytime she bites say 'No' firmly and put her down, she will eventually make the connection, I would hazard a guess that it is your fabric and it's a nuzzling affectionate thing but, yes I agree better to try and train her not to do it to hoomins. That is what they do to each other when playing, grooming though so she isn't being aggressive IMO just misguided.

The alternative is to sit on the floor with her but, don't pick her up, when she is nudging etc put your head down to hers to let her sniff you and lower your face lower than her head - then stroke her. Sounds like they just love you and are trying to get more attention, if she sits nicely and is a good bunneh try rewarding with a bit of herb aswell and saying good girl to her so she knows which behaviour you like and which you don't.

Yeah she behaves more when i pick her up standing, if i sit on the floor with her that is when she bites the most...I was thinking maybe its affection but she is doing it really hard. think it might be the fabric because when she found loose bits she was actually tring to EAT it.

She has never bitten raw flesh, just through clothes. Im scared of touching noses with her incase she bites me square on the nose.... lol:lol:

Today she was just wild, literally using her one leg standing up on it then somehow jumping trying to climb up my back onto my shoulders.........and i was only sat on the floor trying to sweep the run.

Cant tell you why she is nipping but as Indie hit maturity she tried the digging at my legs and a nip for attention, I yelped and turned my back. In rabbit language you are saying "im disgusted in your behavior" sneakily look behind you and maybe not straight away but she will think about it and attempt to apologise by approaching you again but only give her attention when her behavior is good again. I enjoy my dog/horse behaviour and decided to look into the rabbit behavior and have found out a lot of good things. I may look an idiot sometimes but I have a good bond with them.

Back