• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not himself + cold

Jools

New Kit
My rabbit Hamish has been fine up until this afternoon, when I noticed he was not being himself. He is just sitting, quite hunched up (sometimes he lays down) in the same place. His ears feel quite cold as well and I am quite concerned. Usually he is a bubbly rabbit and always comes to the edge of the run or cage to say hello when you go to see him, but he is not doing that now.

Its hard to tell whether he is eating, as he has been in his run all day, and his water bottle sometimes leaks so its hard to tell whether he has drunk it or if it has just leaked. Also, I cleaned him out this morning (then put him in his run straight away) before I realised anything was wrong, so I cant even tell if he is pooing or weeing! :(

Obviously I am keeping an eye out for all of these things now, and he is sitting inside with me in his little carrier with a blanket to keep him warm.

What else can I do to help him, and what do you think could be wrong? I am aware that as he was in his run all day he could have been digging and eaten something that wasn't good for him, but literally all he was on was grass so I don't know...I just want him to get better!

If he has not improved by tomorrow I will be taking him to the vets, as they are closed now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think he needs to see the vet this evening.
Bunnies go down hill very fast and the fact that he is clearly not well is concerning as bunnies hide illness very well which means it may be quite serious if he is unable to hide it from you.

See if he will eat anything that you give him.
It is good that you have brought him in to the house to keep him warm, bunnies who are not well do find it hard to regulate their temp.

My rabbit Hamish has been fine up until this afternoon, when I noticed he was not being himself. He is just sitting, quite hunched up (sometimes he lays down) in the same place. His ears feel quite cold as well and I am quite concerned. Usually he is a bubbly rabbit and always comes to the edge of the run or cage to say hello when you go to see him, but he is not doing that now.

Its hard to tell whether he is eating, as he has been in his run all day, and his water bottle sometimes leaks so its hard to tell whether he has drunk it or if it has just leaked. Also, I cleaned him out this morning (then put him in his run straight away) before I realised anything was wrong, so I cant even tell if he is pooing or weeing! :(

Obviously I am keeping an eye out for all of these things now, and he is sitting inside with me in his little carrier with a blanket to keep him warm.

What else can I do to help him, and what do you think could be wrong? I am aware that as he was in his run all day he could have been digging and eaten something that wasn't good for him, but literally all he was on was grass so I don't know...I just want him to get better!

If he has not improved by tomorrow I will be taking him to the vets, as they are closed now.

It may be too late to wait until the morning i'm afraid, rabbits deteriorate very quickly. Is he eating now? Can you tempt him to eat anything? If not, then it is likely he has developed GI stasis for whatever reason - and this requires urgent veterinary treatment tonight i'm afraid - especially if he feels cold this is a classic symptom. I would phone your usual vet and take down the instructions for the emergency vet and take him in now right away. Good luck x

I couldn't get Hamish into the vets last night, but he is a lot better this morning.

Throughout the evening I gave him some water & some pineapple juice (its good for their tummies) through a syringe, and kept him in my room overnight so that he was warm. I also gave him water in a syringe during night to keep him hydrated. His belly started making some loud grumbling noises, which I assumed were a good thing as that meant his inside were getting back into motion.

This morning he is almost completely back to normal, he is bubbly and active again - no more sitting doing nothing! He is also pooing normally, and I have seen him eating, so all is well. Thanks for all the help. :)

I couldn't get Hamish into the vets last night, but he is a lot better this morning.

Throughout the evening I gave him some water & some pineapple juice (its good for their tummies) through a syringe, and kept him in my room overnight so that he was warm. I also gave him water in a syringe during night to keep him hydrated. His belly started making some loud grumbling noises, which I assumed were a good thing as that meant his inside were getting back into motion.

This morning he is almost completely back to normal, he is bubbly and active again - no more sitting doing nothing! He is also pooing normally, and I have seen him eating, so all is well. Thanks for all the help. :)

Glad hamish is feeling better this morning. Keep a very close eye on him over the next few days but it sounds like he is on the road to recovery.

Do you have any pics of little hamish?

Back