• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dusty hay

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Been to the vets today for a quick checkup for Mischa and Nutmeg, both are fine. However I mentioned to him that Nutmeg has had a slight mucus buildup round the nose and that I suspected the hay, which is really lovely stuff this time round but SO dusty. Nutmeg has a weakness in her lungs from where she has had some bug in the past, before she came to us. So he said to try and get the hay sorted.

But how can I do that? How can I make dusty hay not dusty?

I normally buy this for my household and it is good, but haven't bought for 2 months - I normally buys the 10 bags, which works out £4 per bag and sometimes the bag doesn't seem as full as it should be, but it is good stuff.

About 5 foot long. I'm wondering if there's any way I can use the hoover pipe on it or something.

Ahhh right that kind of bale!! Unless you have the spare cash hanging round for one of these http://www.haysteamers.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Hay+Steamers :lol:

I made a temporay steamer once - big black dustbin 1/4 filled with boiling water, then suspended some hay on an old net curtain and put the lid on to hold it above the water. I also drilled holes in the lid to let the steam escape.

Don't suppose a wallpaper stripper would work? I only need to get some of the dust out so it's a little bit better.

Back