• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny died suddenly

PL 1995

New Kit
Hi,

I am a first time poster, but have kept pet bunnies for many years. Until Saturday we had 4 bunnies, 2 in each 2 storey hutch (neutered male and female in each). We have had this set of bunnies for a number of years and they were the most settled bunnies we have ever had.

They all were happy to be in each others company in the garden, and would all even go and get in one of the hutches together at times, we would find all 4 cuddled up in a big fur ball often.

Sadly one of our bunnies, a 5 year old female Lionhead (Jessica) died suddenly on Saturday afternoon, all 4 had been in the garden at times throughout the afternoon with no signs of problems. Jessica had been running about in the garden and had no signs of problems, in fact i had seen her a few minutes before she died and she seemed fine, but when i checked on them she was lay upside down outside and had died.

She died so suddenly, but i could see no reason why, she seemend fine and healthy, no signs of any problems. She cant have been attacked as there would have been signs of a struggle especially as she has so much fur, plus 2 of the other rabbits were sat near her when i found her.

I just cant understand why this would have happened so suddenly, we have had rabbits die in the past but have always known why when they have been ill or old, it just doesnt make sense.

I'm so sorry, what a shock that must have been. i can't offer any solution but at least she didn't suffer and you didn't have to make the hardest decision.
RIP jessica :(

Im really sorry for your loss.:(
There could have been a possibility of having a post mortem done...extra cost, but at least you would have known how she died.
Bunnies hide problems so well when theyre poorly and feeling rough.
Quite simply, it could have been heart problems or anything.
All I can say now is how sorry I am, and just keep an eye to other bunnies as she may have had something she could have passed on to them....(Im NOT a vet, but its possible it wasnt infectious).

Welcome to the Forum and so sorry about your loss :( maybe Jessica had a heart attack it does happen sometimes, had she been ill at all up to that day?

Im very sorry for your loss, it must have been such a shock to find her like that! It sounds a bit of a mystery but maybe it was just her time and she had a heart attack or something. It sounds like she had a lovely life and she was clearly a well loved little bunny. Bunnys are such fragile little things and sadly these things do occassionally happen. The others were probably taking their time to say goodbye. I assume they were all vaccinated against VHD which can take bunnys very quickly? Some people might advocate a post mortem just to make sure it isnt something more sinister that your other 3 may have been exposed to as well! Once again Im very sorry for your loss :(

I can't add anything to what others have already posted, but I'm very sorry for your loss. It must have been an awful shock. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your bun. I don't know how off the mark this is but when I was talking to my vet about VHD vaccinations she said that rabbits can just die suddenly from VHD (is that what the disease is called?) could your rabbit have died from this?

**hugs**

I'm sorry for your rabbit.
I suggest that you have a post mortem done. It costs extra, but this way you can be sure she didn't die of anything that could pass on to other rabbits. Also she could have died of a congenital problem (i.e. heart). If any of your rabbits are related to her perhaps you can take steps to prevent another similar death.
Hugs to you and the best of luck.

Back