• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with Grim - his problems keep coming.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I know I can read my bunnies body language really well because I picked up that something wasn't right with Grim. Everyone else said they hadn't noticed anything but as I was certain we went to the vets anyway on Friday. It was a combined visit because Smoo had a damp bum I wanted checking too.

It turns out one of his few remaining molars is rotten. :(

Now it would be probably normal practice to just take it out, but the last time Grim had an op he stopped breathing under the anesthetic for five minutes. Understandably my vet doesn't want to take the risk if she doesn't have to and at the moment he is just on painkillers for a week and we're kind of hoping it's going to fall out. So he's not the best he can be and to make things easier for him I'm giving him soggy pellets. I call them 'soggies'. Although this is a two edged sword. On one side it's easier and less painful to eat them, but as he has spurs anyway not eating solid food will worsen that and mean he'll need a dental op sooner.

Now the other problem is that Smoo loves 'soggies' too so Grim has to be fed separately. I give them both a normal portion of dry pellets in the morning and then my plan was to feed Grim separately in small amounts during the day. He can't eat hay so all he does eat are pellets and I give him his painkillers on bread once a day. Firstly how many pellets should he be having as it's his only food all day? I used to leave unlimited in the hutch for him but I'm concerned Smoo might be over eating so I have to stop that. She's having a problem cleaning her rear end which is due to severe molting but if she's putting on weight that won't make it any easier and I won't take risks with her health.

Since Friday I have been bringing a bowl of soggies up to Grim every now and then but he takes so long to eat. I feel bad for Smoo because she wants them and I have to distract her with cuddles but she knows Grim is eating and she's not. I also have to hold the bowl sideways for Grim because he finds it hard to eat out of it properly and would just tip it over and eat off the floor. But like I said they're molting so much I'm worried he'll eat too much fur. Plus it's harder to stop Smoo eating them.

So I thought I'd take him inside to eat, but he gets distracted and won't eat. So I took Smoo out of the hutch and closed it up for him to eat but he just went and looked at her through the doors and wouldn't eat.

(But on top of that I am also hand feeding my chinchilla who broke her arm and making her pureed food and a million other things I need to sort out with various animals and I also have my sister's rabbits here bonding. *pulls hair out* I seriously don't know how rescues do it. I have so much respect for you all!)

So what do I do? How much should I feed Grim? I want to give him extras like porridge but I don't want to upset Smoo. He's going too have to have an operation sooner or later and I'm just dreading it. :cry:

Sorry I dont have any advice...:oops: bumping so hopefully some folks with bun care experience can be of some help & support...:)

Thank you. :)

Also I forgot to add he's got a peg tooth growing as well which is being clipped for now until it needs to come out. I love my Grimmy so much I hate that all this is happening to him. :(

He's not too good today. His left eye (the side with the bad tooth) is really runny and the lids are a little swollen. :(

Samus is looking after him so well though and keeps cleaning his eye before I get there with a cloth.

Sorry to hear about Grim. This may be a stupid suggestion but would it be worth mixing a few 'soggies' for Smoo with some chopped up hay or veggies while you feed Grim separately a full portion? That way Smoo is getting a few pellets (but not too many) slowly and Grim will have a chance to eat properly (I'm think along the lines that I used to give chaff to ponies to make them chew longer and they think they're getting more).

FC x

Hiya,
so sorry poor grims having such a horrible time :( i dont really have any good advise re. His feeding but friskyclovers idea sounds good. How long is ur vet wanting to wait before operating?

Sounds like ur having a really tough time animal wise at the moment :( Make sure you look after urself aswell, afterall they all need a strong mum to look after them.

Sending hugs to u and loads of vibes for ur lovely grimlock xxxxx

Sorry to hear about Grim. This may be a stupid suggestion but would it be worth mixing a few 'soggies' for Smoo with some chopped up hay or veggies while you feed Grim separately a full portion? That way Smoo is getting a few pellets (but not too many) slowly and Grim will have a chance to eat properly (I'm think along the lines that I used to give chaff to ponies to make them chew longer and they think they're getting more).

FC x

Ooh, that's a good idea. Thanks. :)

Hiya,
so sorry poor grims having such a horrible time :( i dont really have any good advise re. His feeding but friskyclovers idea sounds good. How long is ur vet wanting to wait before operating?

Sounds like ur having a really tough time animal wise at the moment :( Make sure you look after urself aswell, afterall they all need a strong mum to look after them.

Sending hugs to u and loads of vibes for ur lovely grimlock xxxxx

Thank you. :)

Back