• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is my rabbit pregnant?

naya69

New Kit
hi i had two rabbits a male and female they are only young around 6 months maybe a little more i read that they wouldnt mate till they were a year old so i was safe untill then.

well a few times i caught the male humping the female :roll: but thought nowt of it.

so anyway last week the male got killed by a fox i was left devasted :cry: poor bunny.

i just went out to get my female bunny in and when i open the prt of the hutch where she sleeps there was quite a bit of fur in there like she has been ripping it out of her.

is this something to do with her missing the male rabbit?
is it because of the season?
or is she pregnant and shes nesting i felt her belly and couldnt feel nowt strange

some help would be great not sure what to do. if she was pregnant i would prob keep most of the babies and i do have friends who would love a rabbit so finding homes isnt the problem.

I think you should get her to a vet sharpish yes she could be pregnant they can become pregnant at 4 months old.
please think of getting her neutered asap there as so many unwanted buns around its heartbreaking. :)

If your bunny is pulling her fur out, she is more than likely nearly ready to give birth.

Rabbits can mate at around 14 weeks, and should be split into same sex pairs then, so the chances are shes pregnant. Make sure she has plenty of hay/bedding.

Sorry to hear about your male bunny xx

Sorry for the male bunny, if you can, it would be a good idea to get extra security for your lady bun incase a fox comes back, especially if she has little ones.

Yep, I'm afraid you've been misinformed, rabbits can indeed get pregnant that young, although it MAY be a sign of grief. I really recommend you to get her to the vets though, it does sound like she's with bun :shock:

thanks for your replys ive had her since april and i got him a month ago because i was told male and females get on better than two females and when i asked about mating i was told males dont get mature till 9 to 12 months so iam fine and i was gonna get him done :roll:

how long after ripping out their fur do they normaly give birth??

thanks for your replys ive had her since april and i got him a month ago because i was told male and females get on better than two females and when i asked about mating i was told males dont get mature till 9 to 12 months so iam fine and i was gonna get him done :roll:

how long after ripping out their fur do they normaly give birth??

Straight away. I'd expect babies within a day or so....

I hope things work out well and she isnt pregnant, you could get her neutered if she isnt pregnant, im sorry for your loss too. xx

Straight away. I'd expect babies within a day or so....

not nessecarily, some rabbits pluck up to 2 weeks before, it really does vary.

Saying that, yes, she most likely will give birth in the next few days

Last edited:
not really...just make sure she has a nice quite place to build a nest and lots of hay to build it with.

not nessecarily, some rabbits pluck up to 2 weeks before, it really does vary.

Saying that, yes, she most likely will give birth in the next few days

Yeah, some are early nesters. Hadley started making a nest after 2 weeks but didn't give birth for another two weeks and 4 days

do i need to do anything special for her?

Once she's given birth, up her feed (Don't give her too much extra now, if she's overweight she'll have problems giving birth). Broccoli and banana is good as a treat for mums too

so i dont have to put any boxes in there because ive heard somethig about a breeding box and when is safe to handle the babies?

not unless she is on a wire cage. I have found that they dont use them really.
The handling depends on the rabbit, but i would say if she is fine with you, check the nest regulary for any dead kits (which must be taken out). You can properly start to handle them when they are about 10 days old

bit of a silly question but ive just checked her and her belly isnt big what so ever do rabbits go big when pregnant or can they hide it quite well :?

I dont know about pregnant does, but when you think shes given birth, dont open the door of the nesting area!! I remember my little nieces and nephew doing this..a baby fell out of the nest.The fall didnt kill the baby but it had septic joints and had to be pts.:(

Good luck with your doe.Hope shes ok.xx

bit of a silly question but ive just checked her and her belly isnt big what so ever do rabbits go big when pregnant or can they hide it quite well :?

I have no experience with breeding or baby rabbits at all but I'd assume that it'd be quite hard to see if a rabbit's pregnant by looking at her tummy - as prey animals, they'd be easy targets if they obviously looked pregnant. (I could be completely wrong of course!)

Have you checked the nest *carefully* today? If she's suddenly much skinnier, she could have given birth in the night.

there belly doesnt get too big. I find i can notice it slightly in the last week, even then im guesing.
Are you sure she hasent had them?
they are very good at hiding them under a nest.

Domestic rabbits can mate as soon as 3 months old for females and 4 for males, so there is a definite chance that your rabbit is pregnant. If she isn't and she has made a nest, it could be a phantom pregnancy. Unspayed females often experience those and a spay is the only way to eliminate them forever, especially if you plan to give her another rabbit companion in the future.
In case she really is pregnant, make sure she has a lot of quiet because stressed females often eat their young. Contrary to dogs and cats, a rabbit, who is a prey animal, spends very little time with her kits. She only milks them once or twice a day and spends the rest of the time outside the nets, so you will have to look for other sign that the birth has happened.

Back