• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Risks Involved with Spaying 4 year old female?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice for my brother. He has a female rabbit and she is turning 4 years old at the end of this month. He is looking into getting her spayed as they have a male bunny now who they would like to bond with her. The male is being kept separate and they are going to get him neutered once he's old enough.

He was told by a vet yesterday that she had never heard of rabbits getting cancer and advised him to not get her spayed because of her age and just get the male neutered. But my brother is going to take her elsewhere now as he doesn't feel that Vet is experienced. But now the dilemma.

Should he get his female spayed due to cancer? Or is she too old and the risks would be too high?

He's quite worried and upset not knowing what to do. He adores this rabbit and has had her since she was a little baby. So he feels on one hand he doesn't want to risk surgery but then he also doesn't want her to get cancer.

Any advice?
Thank you so much.
Lynn

:wave:
Just to say, Lady Bunny has plenty more years left yet!!! She can live to maybe 15 yrs old!!!
I would do it.Then she can have a friend and be totally happy and cancer free, as well as hormone free too!!!:D

As long as the rabbit is healthy there are no more risks than what there would be with say a 6month old rabbit. The vet sounds very inexperienced and i would take bunny elsewhere! At 4 she may even have the starting of uterine cancer already, i know one of my boarders spayed her rabbit after bringing her to me for boarding as she had it, but because she had the spay it was removed, and she was fine.

How old is the male? He can be neutured as soon as his bits drop my youngest bunny Domino was neutured at 14 weeks. :)

good luck

also - where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend a better vet! x

Cor two in two days. It's scary how many vets think spaying is a risk and that cancer is 'nothing to worry about'.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice for my brother. He has a female rabbit and she is turning 4 years old at the end of this month. He is looking into getting her spayed as they have a male bunny now who they would like to bond with her. The male is being kept separate and they are going to get him neutered once he's old enough.
He was told by a vet yesterday that she had never heard of rabbits getting cancer and advised him to not get her spayed because of her age and just get the male neutered. But my brother is going to take her elsewhere now as he doesn't feel that Vet is experienced. But now the dilemma.

Should he get his female spayed due to cancer? Or is she too old and the risks would be too high?

He's quite worried and upset not knowing what to do. He adores this rabbit and has had her since she was a little baby. So he feels on one hand he doesn't want to risk surgery but then he also doesn't want her to get cancer.

Any advice?
Thank you so much.
Lynn

Well I just about died when I read this quote and saw that the situation was EXACTLY like ours.... ha ha ha Only to realize it was my own sister in law looking for information!!! :love:

Cor two in two days. It's scary how many vets think spaying is a risk and that cancer is 'nothing to worry about'.

Please note that this post is about our own bunny.. the same bunny we had posted about yesterday. I didn't want you to think there were that many bad vets out there! :roll: We are quite excited about the vet we are seeing tomorrow as he is renowned for his bunny experience so it should go well!!!!

Please note that this post is about our own bunny.. the same bunny we had posted about yesterday. I didn't want you to think there were that many bad vets out there! :roll: We are quite excited about the vet we are seeing tomorrow as he is renowned for his bunny experience so it should go well!!!!

Yes I just read that. :oops: Thought it sounded strangely similar. That's more reassuring :thumb:

Back