• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone know about eyes? Worried about Timmy/back to his usual self,eye improving

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Timmy just woke up from his afternoon snooze and as soon as he walked into the room i noticed something was wierd about his right eye. On closer inspection it looks like the pupil is smaller than his left one. The colouring of the iris (usually chocolate brown) is also abit paler :? Other than that its not runny or sore looking although the whites are slightly bloodshot where his left eye white is pure white. Hes behaving completely normally qnd eating well.

Any ideas? Im so worried :(

Last edited:
I should add hes just iver a year old so is a young bun.
I cant seemto find anything about this in rabbits on the net. Im completely stumped

No idea sorry Gemma :? I would sugget popping him to the vet if you are worried or giving them a call and discussing whether or not they feel he needs to come down to be checked over. Eyes are funny things and sometimes transient symptoms disappear.

I would suggest the vet too.

It could be uveitis,or even an abcess behind the eye.

Does Timmy have any teeth problems?

Thanks pretty lupin. Its so bizarre, he can definatly see out of it fine and is not in pain or upset by it. He did have a hair in it when i examined it (which i removed) could it be due to irritation from this? Or maybe he poked his eye with some hay?

Anyway if its still the same tommorrow he'll be off to the vets xxx

I cant seem to find any mention of differences in pupil size in the stuff ive read so far. Does anyone know if this is a symptom?

Off to the vets with my boy in abit. Can we please have some vibes? Imterrified to my core that its a brain tumour or something serious :(
Atleast hes still behaving completely normal, thats gotta be a good sign :?

Aw Gemma Sorry I didn't see this earlier hun, Have been so wrapped up with other things :oops:

Lots of vibes for Timmy Bobbles and carlo are very worried

We're back from the vets. He tested his tear production, drops for ulcers and tested the pressure in his eyes (with a medieval looking implement :shock:) The diagnosis is uveitis (well spotted jane ;)) and hes been prescribed Fradexam pommade eye drops (apparantly abx?) We're going back in a weeks time to test the pressure in his eyes again.

Timmys understandably very quiet now :( I HATE taking them to the vets, but the vet said its in thr very early stages so will hopefully be ok after a few weeks of treatment.

Im now more inclined than ever to get them both treated for E Cuniculi, what with Tillys sudden death, mimis head tilt and now this. My vet is reluctant as hes very against giving buns drugs unnecessarily. But i know we can buy panacur ourselves without prescription so we're thinking of doing this.

Thoughts?

I guess if you panacured you would hopefully control the lifecycle of any active EC infection, but obviously never remove it completely. As long as both buns have no underlying conditions that would make the use of fenbendazole risky then I can not see a 28 day course for both being an issue, but of course it is up to you. I also agree with non necessary medication but a 28 day course shouldn't cause too many issues - many people do it as a one-off. Whether or not it will be effective, or if indeed the Uveitis is a symptom of active EC infection? I don't think anyone still knows enough about EC and it's treatment. I'm hopeless on eyes so can't help with the Uveitis but I hope that Timmy's treatment goes well :) Good luck x

Thanks pretty lupin.

I will discuss it again with my vet when we go back on Monday, id much rather do it with his consent and knowledge really.

Timmys bounced back ok now, hes a little trooper bless him :love:

TImmys not himself atall today :( hes eating but not atall as much as usual and hes abit quiet. His eye is much the same i think. Needless to say im so so worried now :(

could it be that hes in pain from his eye? Or having a reaction to the drops? My poor sweet boy :cry:

TImmys not himself atall today :( hes eating but not atall as much as usual and hes abit quiet. His eye is much the same i think. Needless to say im so so worried now :(

could it be that hes in pain from his eye? Or having a reaction to the drops? My poor sweet boy :cry:

I would definitely want him treated for EC too. I would also want him on some systemic anti-inflammatories.

Fradexem contains both an abx (Framycetin) and a steroid (dexamethasone) so i

Oh jane thank god you've seen this im really starting to worry now. He just ate a few strands of hay which i bunged under his nose but it wasvery little. He also picked up a few strands and threw them aside, am i right in thinking this sounds like teeth?

So are you thinking metacam would be a good option?

I would be inclined to test for EC honey, I don't know much about much, but you know Timmy best and if he isn't right then you will know straight away.

Back