• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch/run combos on grass

Rose

Mama Doe
Any one have one on grass permantly? how do you cope do your bunnies borrow

i want to get jack one from HH but the one without a ramp cause i know he wont use it. But the only place it can go is on the grass

We got a roll of glavanised wire mesh from B&Q. It's a 6 x 4 run so we got a length of wood (don't know the exact measurement, but maybe an inch wide?) which we fitted down the middle from back to front of run in order to attach the two lengths of mesh, we couldn't fin a single piece of mesh big enough. I thought the bit of wood sticking up may be a nuisance for them but they're fine and even gnaw on it :roll::lol:. We attached the mesh on with some U-shaped nails. The grass has grown through within weeks and you can hardly see the mesh now.

If the run will be in one place permanently, I'd suggest digging up the grass, laying down wire mesh and putting turf back on the top. They'll probably still have a go at digging but they won't get very far :lol: Stops foxes digging in too :)

If the run will be in one place permanently, I'd suggest digging up the grass, laying down wire mesh and putting turf back on the top. They'll probably still have a go at digging but they won't get very far :lol: Stops foxes digging in too :)

This is what we're doing when we move our buns onto grass. Even if your buns aren't diggers, other animals can be - better to be safe than sorry!:)

Mine do dig a little but we move them quite a lot and they have never got out.
Imo it's still worth lining the run with wire - like debster said, other animals may dig in.
also you never know when your bun will go for it - we had ours on grass for months with no digging what so ever, then one morning we went out and they were nowhere to be seen - they'd dug a little hole and made a break for it.

Yes! one of mine did that too! I had most of a 8x4 run on paving slabs, only 1/2ft or less was off the slabs but I always give them piles of hay so thought they might not notice (silly me I know :roll:). Months and months of it all being fine then took just one day and hazel had almost broken out the other side! She is a big bunny (5kg) but even so I could not believe it! I just thought...imagine what a fox could achieve in the same time :shock:

Back