• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing question

wales1000

Young Bun
sorry me again, but need to ask some more questions if possible please.

As you know I have two fairly large male rabbits (I am going to ring the vets on Monday to see when I can get them chopped and costs etc), but they shall be living outdoors (like they were) when I have sorted out their accomodation. For the time being I can set up a hutch with run down the side of the house, which is on slabs, but before we know it winter will be here. Could you please let me know if this will be ok.

I have seen on another thread this run from zoo plus and I am going to get the large one, which I am going to attach to a hutch. I also saw someone has attached a ground sheet to put over the top which they can roll up. If I do this, would the rabbits be able to go out outside in the run at all times in the winter when its not raining (when it is raining I shall bring them in and use the tall run I have) Also is there anything else I need to do for their safety during the winter? down the side of the house no animals can get down there as we have a large gate fencing the rest of the garden off?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638

In winter it is best not bring outside rabbits in as the change in temperature is bad for them. If they are going to be outside, they will develop a good winter coat and be fine to play in their outdoor run even when it's cold as long as they have some shelter and somewhere to snuggle up if needed. So if you attach a run to their hutch that will be fine as they can choose to play out or stay in the hutch for warmth :)

In winter it is best not bring outside rabbits in as the change in temperature is bad for them. If they are going to be outside, they will develop a good winter coat and be fine to play in their outdoor run even when it's cold as long as they have some shelter and somewhere to snuggle up if needed. So if you attach a run to their hutch that will be fine as they can choose to play out or stay in the hutch for warmth :)

ah right i didn't realise that about bringing them indoors it could be bad for them - thank you very much, you have been very helpful :) i am going to order this run from Zoo website tomorrow and get them set up outside - i was going to keep them in, but to be honest as they are used to being outdoors and they are quite big, they need more room than i can give them indoors, so i shall sort this out this week. Many thanks Natasha

could someone please that i am ok to use vet bed for new rabbits in an outdoor hutch? I already have 2 very large pieces and thats what i use for my gps, but can I use in an outdoor hutch? I hoover out their poos every day anyway so it wont be dirty all the time and will be washing the bedding once a week.

Thanks.

I'm waiting for this 7 ft long run with top to come, so the bunnies are still in the spare bedroom at the moment - I am supposed to be putting them outside, but i am really debating whether to keep them indoors now - the reason is i am worried that i wont spend much time with them - that's why all my guinea pigs live in doors and also when the winter comes and it starts getting dark @ 4 o clock i will deffo never see them - we have no outdoor lights and getting the OH to put one out there is like getting blood from a stone. they cant have free roaming downstairs cos of the dogs so that is not an option (they don't like small animals) - since i have had these rabbits they have starting coming up to greet me when I go in and fed the guinea pigs (we have some at the moment in the large runs for them and some are rescued so we have them on a rota so they all get time in the runs) so i am thinking of keeping them in the spare bedroom and moving out the spare wardrobe and chest of drawers and all the other junk (which are supposed to be going into the babies room when its done!) I have measured the walls etc and it will be tight in there, but there will be enough room to have the run and hutch set up in there and also the guinea pigs runs can stay in there. When the bunnies are more used to me I will start letting them run around my bedroom, but not yet until they are more used to me. What do you think?

Back