• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does an abcess feel hard?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I noticed the other day Leon's skin on his chest under his chin is hanging down a little. Its never been like this before. It looks as if he has a little dewlap.

Its hard to get it to but it felt soft. He's acting himself in all other ways.
What does an abcess feel like?

I noticed the other day Leon's skin on his chest under his chin is hanging down a little. Its never been like this before. It looks as if he has a little dewlap.

Its hard to get it to but it felt soft. He's acting himself in all other ways.
What does an abcess feel like?

It can feel soft or hard depending on activity of the abcess but it will usually feel like a lump with defined edges. If all you can feel is loose pliable skin and no lumps then I do not think you need to worry. :)

Are you describing what could be classified as a dewlap, pictures can be found on http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...tle&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQsAQwAw&biw=1024&bih=535

It is a build up of a fatty layer which results in a fold of skin under the chin. It is more common in rabbits who are in excess of their ideal weight.

It does look like a small dewlap but I only noticed it a few days ago, he's never had it before and I wouln't say he's overweight.
He does seem fine though

There may be an offensive smell too.....My old cat had an abcess...Cor!! It smelt awful!!!

Given that you also posted this:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240003

and the 'lump' has only just appeared it may well be a tooth root abscess.
These can be soft and can come up overnight. The pain often lessens once the abscess appears ie the Rabbit may go off hard food for a few days BEFORE the lump appears and then be eating again despite having a huge mandibular swelling.

I would get your Vet to take a look.

Back