• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut Blockage advice desperately needed

Wilbur

Mama Doe
:cry:I took Tom to the emergency vet tonight at 10.30pm. He had been a bit quiet this evening and I couldn't get him to eat his favourite treat. He seemed really miserable. He was fine yesterday and eating.

I thought it was his teeth again as this is what happened last time, no warning then not eating. The vet says he has a blockage in his Caecum(?) where is goes out from the stomach. I may have got that wrong I was so shocked. He did say he has a couple of spurs on his molars and an ulcer so that's what is stopping him eating.

They gave him Bupreorphine and sub cut fluids and some liquid paraffin for me to give him at home. Having read on here I am reluctant to give that to him. It is now four hours since we got home an I have syringe fed him water and critical care. He still seems miserable. What else can I do?

He is booked in for a dental on Monday but I am terrifed he won't last as he won't eat anything.

I feel so helpless.

Any advice really appreciated. I am about to give him some more water and Critial care now. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am so worried.

If the blockage is very near the stomach then the vet may have been referring to the pylorus where the stomach empties into the small intestine rather than the caecum which is at the rear end of the GI tract. I agree with you about not using paraffin as it could coat the blocked ingesta and not allow fluids to penetrate and assist in its breaking up. Hydration is probably the most beneficial action at this early point and maybe not too much critical care as it may add further to the extent of the blockage. Presuming the blockage is at the top end of the GI tract, Tom would most likely benefit from a dose of metoclopramide to stimulate the stomach and small intestine. You could try to tempt him with some leafy herbs rinsed but as wet as possible. I would not force him to eat if he doesn't want to as it could add to the problem.

The spurs and ulcer would also certainly be causing his mouth to hurt when trying to eat but as he has been given pain relief he may be tempted.

It shouldn't be too long now before others will see this thread and offer more advice.

It may not be a total 'blockage' but dry impacted matter in his caecum. The stomach is right at the top of the GI tract and does not empty directly into the caecum so I think you may have (understandably) misheard that.

The area marked in red on here is where I suspect your Vet could feel the impacted mass

Anatomy_and_physiology_of_animals_Gut_of_a_rabbit-1.jpg

I have had a Bun with a grossly impacted caecum. It felt like a curved sausage in his lower abdomen. It took 10 days of intensive treatment ( analgesia, LOADS of SQ and oral fluids- 200ml/kg/24 hours- Lactulose, Metoclopromide, Ranitidine, abdominal massage ) The Bun made a full recovery.

Were it to happen now I would request my Vet also prescribe another drug called Domperidone which has been found to act specifically on the caecum.

I would NOT give LP in the initial stages as it will coat the gut contents and thus prevent fluid absorption by them. After 24 hrs aggressive fluid therapy LP can be used BUT I prefer to use lactulose as it is an osmotic laxative- ie it draws fluid into the bowel which is what is needed in order to rehydrate the impacted matter and thus make it easier to pass.

The impaction is likely to be a SECONDARY consequence of his Dental problems. He has probably not been eating enough long fibre (hay) which is the essential thing for healthy hind gut function.

I would try to get him onto LOTS of fluids, both oral and SQ. For analgesia I'd try to stick with Metacam if possible, the opiates (eg Buprenorphine) can effect hind gut function -ie slow it down. HOWEVER, sometimes opiates are needed.

If Bun is not eating then very watery Critical Care feeds can be given, as long as there is NOT a full obstruction anywhere in the GI tract.

Try to remain hopeful, Buns can recover from an impacted caecum, but it often takes A LOT of intensive treatment.

Sending get well vibes xx

Last edited:
Tom died this morning. I can't believe it he was fine on Friday. I am so sad I can't bear it I love him so much and I failed him. I can't stop crying.

I am so, so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

Please don't feel that you failed Tom - you did everything you could for him - sending you hugs xxx

Binky free Tom xxx

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry to hear this :( Please don't think you failed him, you did not! You did everything you could for Tom, plenty of people wouldn't have taken him to see the emergency vet; even though the treatment didn't work for him, he had pain relief while he felt poorly. You did nothing wrong.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, RIP Tom xxx

I am so sorry for your loss.:cry:

Anyone who takes a bunny to an emergency vet at 10:30pm could never be considered as failing that bunny.

Binky free Tom.

I am so sorry for your loss.:cry:

Anyone who takes a bunny to an emergency vet at 10:30pm could never be considered as failing that bunny.

Binky free Tom.

Absolutely. You did your best, no one can do more than that. I am so sorry x

sending hugs...i lost my bunny Siouxsie yesterday and tried in vain to save her so i know just how you are feling....we can only do our best!

so sorry you did all you could for this bunny sadly buns hide thier ailments so well that at times it is too late to help them, it doesnt ease the sadness ever but at least you know you arent the only one who has lost a bun and wished tehre was more they could do. thinking of you at such a sad time xx

Back