• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a bun with pasturella?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can it or should it be done. I have two boys with pasturella and one girl. Can this operation be done when a bun has a life long illness or chronic infection?

Thanks
Ambience x

I only wish......
My Ian says he will if I want to but Lily has so many problems.He has given me the idea that its not a good idea.....

I only wish......
My Ian says he will if I want to but Lily has so many problems.He has given me the idea that its not a good idea.....

My buns that just have eye problems and it isn't affecting breathing- i think it is worth giving these ago. I wouldn't do it for adonia i don't think though as she struggles with her breathing when she gets stressed out. Is lily likely to get better- or is it ongoing?

Ambience xx

The snuffles rabbit here has been successfully neutered, with no problems.Although we did give him antibiotic's for a couple of days before and after. Just in case in set anything off.

As long as your vet is aware and willing to do what they need to. To get rabbit through the operation safely then it shouldn't be a problem.

I still remain unconvinced that the problem here is a 'pasteurella outbreak' as such. I think there is something else going on which has caused a bacterial overgrowth (which may or may not be pasteurella) - something like tooth root overgrowth causing irritation/infection of the tear ducts, and/or irritation from something about their living environment.

I would aim to get the infection as under control as possible and then get a good bunny savvy vet to do it. Maybe the boys first as it is a simpler operation, much shorter GA etc. If I were you, I would also ask them to take a swab or a flush and get it sent off for culture and sensitivity testing (although this would mean that the bun would have to come off antibiotics for a while prior to the test) and skull x-rays to see what is happening with the tooth roots. Have they had tear duct flushes, or an attempt at it to see if the tear duct is 'passable'. Some vets can do it awake but again it might be worth discussing doing it under GA at the same time; it depends how long it would all take and whether your vet is happy with that. Apart from clearing out some of the goo which could then be sent for analysis, it could help by clarifying whether the infection is caused by blocked tear ducts.

Santa had several GA dentals in her years as a snuffle bun and never had any problems. I also had a chronic snuffly french lop neutered a few years ago without any problems. As an owner I certainly wouldn't have any worries about putting a bun with infected tear ducts under a GA :)

You may find that by getting them 'done' and hopefully bonded, they will groom each others eyes and help to prevent the tear duct infection getting built up.

The snuffles rabbit here has been successfully neutered, with no problems.Although we did give him antibiotic's for a couple of days before and after. Just in case in set anything off.

As long as your vet is aware and willing to do what they need to. To get rabbit through the operation safely then it shouldn't be a problem.

That's good to know. I definately like to get them all done eventually. Perhaps not adonia as she is in no contact with other buns, but definately the rest of the bunch.

I still remain unconvinced that the problem here is a 'pasteurella outbreak' as such. I think there is something else going on which has caused a bacterial overgrowth (which may or may not be pasteurella) - something like tooth root overgrowth causing irritation/infection of the tear ducts, and/or irritation from something about their living environment.

I would aim to get the infection as under control as possible and then get a good bunny savvy vet to do it. Maybe the boys first as it is a simpler operation, much shorter GA etc. If I were you, I would also ask them to take a swab or a flush and get it sent off for culture and sensitivity testing (although this would mean that the bun would have to come off antibiotics for a while prior to the test) and skull x-rays to see what is happening with the tooth roots. Have they had tear duct flushes, or an attempt at it to see if the tear duct is 'passable'. Some vets can do it awake but again it might be worth discussing doing it under GA at the same time; it depends how long it would all take and whether your vet is happy with that. Apart from clearing out some of the goo which could then be sent for analysis, it could help by clarifying whether the infection is caused by blocked tear ducts.

Santa had several GA dentals in her years as a snuffle bun and never had any problems. I also had a chronic snuffly french lop neutered a few years ago without any problems. As an owner I certainly wouldn't have any worries about putting a bun with infected tear ducts under a GA :)

You may find that by getting them 'done' and hopefully bonded, they will groom each others eyes and help to prevent the tear duct infection getting built up.

The boys have had problems for about a year now, eye problems been on lots of different antibiotics. I think they would make it through an op fine. None of my buns have ever stopped eating, except perhaps after neutering for 24 hours, but that is all. I think you are right about getting the males done.

My vets wont do flushes when there is an infection, which doesn't seem to clear up, it almost seems to go- but it's stubborn and resists going completely. Every course of antibiotics seems just that little bit too weak and not long enough. I'll get some swabs done pronto.

I think i'll ask about getting blaze and patch done- they are side by side at the moment, they did mutual grooming when i was doing there meds together, but i stopped doing that as i didn't want any problems with them and thought it best to wait until they are neutered before having them side by side.

Thanks for your help on this- i don't really know how to approach my vet about tooth xrays. Do you know how much they are likely to cost by the way,?

Thanks
Ambience xx

Back