• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelly litter boxes

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Can you guys help me solve a mystery?

The litter boxes smell. I changed them today and put fresh megazorb and hay in new boxes (the old full ones are waiting downstairs to be emptied on the allotment compost heap). The only thing I didn't do was to wash them out with boiling water cos they looked relatively clean, as if I'd already done that with those boxes. I can't remember if I had or not - bad memory.

But they smell already. Normally it takes two days before they start to smell. They haven't had any different veg or anything. What could be making that smell?

At this rate I'll be getting up early tomorrow and changing them again. :?

Can you guys help me solve a mystery?

The litter boxes smell. I changed them today and put fresh megazorb and hay in new boxes (the old full ones are waiting downstairs to be emptied on the allotment compost heap). The only thing I didn't do was to wash them out with boiling water cos they looked relatively clean, as if I'd already done that with those boxes. I can't remember if I had or not - bad memory.

But they smell already. Normally it takes two days before they start to smell. They haven't had any different veg or anything. What could be making that smell?

At this rate I'll be getting up early tomorrow and changing them again. :?

I dunno but Nicola Tervitt's Castiel had smelly poo the other day - maybe she can suggest??!!

I can't see any cecals in there and this smells different to cecal poo. Unless it's the fecals that are smelling. :? I think I might start washing every box right before I use it instead of once they are emptied.

It's funny you mention this because i was doing mine out earlier and decided to try that crumbling up the poo thing :oops: and poked my finger right into a caecomabob in amongst all the normal poos :shock: and i've never smelt anything so evil in my life, what the hell is in those things that smell so bad?!!!

Some days their trays smell worse than others, maybe if they've not been drinking so much or something their wee is more conentrated? Or if it's warm weather (i wish :lol:) that could cause a pong, I'm guessing really but i can't think of any other explanations if their diet is the same.....

Back