• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speying

Becca24

Mama Doe
Just wondered what everyone considered to be the safest age to wait for to spey??

I know different vet have different rules for speying some are 4 months and some are 6 months, I just wondered what everyone on here thought.

Gracie was done at just under 6 months i wouldnt have wanted it done any earlier she was so tiny before then. xxxxx

I think it really depends on size. I have seen it mentioned on here that younger is better, although I can't remember why, I think it's something to do with the fatty deposits? Makes it easier for the spay when they are younger?

I think it really depends on size. I have seen it mentioned on here that younger is better, although I can't remember why, I think it's something to do with the fatty deposits? Makes it easier for the spay when they are younger?

Ahhhh you are very knowledgeable i didnt know that :)
Our vets neuter girls at 6 months but she said as she was just a week and a half under that she would do it. xxxxxxxx

We have a truely wonderful rabbit savvy vet (Jason Burgess - Quedegely) and he said he personally prefers to do the operation between 4 - 6 months because it's easier due to lower fatty deposits. And I totally trust his judgement :) we're taking April in when she's 5 months (I'm still absolutely terrified thinking about it though... :()

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

Why do you think some vets are very strict with them being at least 6 months is there a higher risk if younger?

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

Why do you think some vets are very strict with them being at least 6 months is there a higher risk if younger?

Some vets still hold with the 'anaesthetic is dangerous for smaller animals', I know the vet I used to go to would never have given an anaesthetic to a rabbit, they didn't even know neutering was possible. Anaesthetic advancements are still really quite recent.

Obviously the smaller the animal, the higher the risk will still be, but the risk is much smaller than it was. So I think more rabbit savvy vets maybe wait because they know rabbits will carry on growing, so they might as well wait until their size is at the minimum risk, if that makes sense (it might not, sorry :oops: but I know what I mean!)

Some vets still hold with the 'anaesthetic is dangerous for smaller animals', I know the vet I used to go to would never have given an anaesthetic to a rabbit, they didn't even know neutering was possible. Anaesthetic advancements are still really quite recent.

Obviously the smaller the animal, the higher the risk will still be, but the risk is much smaller than it was. So I think more rabbit savvy vets maybe wait because they know rabbits will carry on growing, so they might as well wait until their size is at the minimum risk, if that makes sense (it might not, sorry :oops: but I know what I mean!)

Yeah I know what you mean! :D

if the reproductive organs are under developed it makes for a more fiddly op ...hence more risk ..;)

Our vet will do them from 4.5 months as long as they are a good size for their breed ...but no younger .

Back