• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what do you clean water bottles and bowls with?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Is there a strong disinfectant that is pet safe? I use vinegar at the moment, but i know this cleans, but doesn't disinfect. I've also used a part bleach solution in the past- but i decided it was too strong to be using.

What does everyone use? I want to be able to let my buns use each others bottles after disinfecting, but i don't want to spread infection.

I have jeyes fluid- it's just the normal household one- you can use on floors etc- says it is pet safe- but there are mixed reviews online. I didn't know if this would be safe to leave bottles for an hour soaking. I want to make sure there are no germs on the bottles at all.

Thanks,
Ambience xx

You can use Milton sterilising fluid. :) I wouldn't use Jeyes.

For my bottles, I use F10 disinfectant these days (available online), some rice to shake up in the bottles, and pipecleaners for the spouts.

You can use Milton sterilising fluid. :) I wouldn't use Jeyes.

For my bottles, I use F10 disinfectant these days (available online), some rice to shake up in the bottles, and pipecleaners for the spouts.

Thanks Sarah- i did get a bottle of milton from ebay but it burst in the post and just ended up with an empty bottle from the post man.

Do you know a good place that does delivery online of either of these. I've been using a bottle scrubber for the bottles, i think i should probably bin this lot and start again with rice.

Thanks.
Ambience x

You can get Milton from supermarkets and chemists, plus there are lots of own brand alternatives, which are exactly the same.

This is the stuff I use for all my animal things. You make it up into a solution, and can also soak bottles and lids in it.

http://www.f10biocare.co.uk/

The milton or stores own brand sterilising tablets are also very effective and are interchangeable with milton solution.

Available from all chemists, boots, superdtug and baby sections in food shops.

I put rice inside the bottles add water and give a good old shake, it loosens any dirt that might be inside.
for the bowls i just use hot soapy water (ecover washing up liquid) then rinse and dry with a paper towel :) xxxxxxxxx

I use white vinegar, mixed with washing up liquid and hot water, swish it all around and then rinse thoroughly with cold water. As far as I know vinegar is a disinfectant.

Thankyou so much everyone! Will take all these ideas on board. They are sooo helpful! I didn't want to be using the jeyes stuff just in case. I like the baby sterilizing fluid ideas. I am not so sure vinegar is a disinfectant- i read it isn't. I like to think it is :)

Ambience xxx

I believe vinegar is a good enough disinfectant for the job.

I do use some sterilising solution when I feel it necessary but I try to avoid it as a rule because it is not a great thing (nor is Bleach of any kind) to be pouring down the sink.

Personally, I would rather use a little vinegar or wash up liquid and very hot water and keep the buns to their own bowls and bottles if I was worried about them sharing.

If you are careful not to scald your self, perhaps by using kitchen tongs) you can pour boiling water over the metal spout and through it without subjecting the plastic parts to too much heat.

I never use hot water in plastic bottles, as it can cause chemicals to be released (and generally weakens the plastic). That's why I prefer to use a decent disinfectant on them.

Thanks everyone. Yes i've found bottles change shape and start melting even under my hot tap. Makes sense to use baby sterilizing fluid or vinegar i would think. Now i'm wondering what to use on my litter trays and hutches. I've used all sorts, bleach, trigene, dettol ( before i knew it was bad).

I meant "very hot water" for the bowls - mine are china - sorry I forgot they could be plastic and yes I agree that wouldn't be good.

The boiling water I specified was for the metal spouts of bottles and not to let it on plastic parts.

I meant "very hot water" for the bowls - mine are china - sorry I forgot they could be plastic and yes I agree that wouldn't be good.

The boiling water I specified was for the metal spouts of bottles and not to let it on plastic parts.

Ah okay :) hehe no problem x

Back