• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions to ask boarding facility.

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
I am going to see a boarding facility in MK tomorrow and I want to make sure they know about about bunny care so I was going to ask them some questions.

Mainly questions regarding stasis, vegetables they feed, quality of hay, how often they check on the rabbits and amount of exercise they would get.

Can anyone else think of any good questions to ask to ensure they are up on bunny care knowledge?

Their policy on vaccinations - of all inmates.
Do they have pets of their own.. dogs, cats etc - just in case your bunnies aren't used to them.
What vet do they use and at what point would they seek vet help? Emergency cover etc?
Are they at home during the day - i.e in follow on from how often are buns checked?
Disinfection routines of hutches and runs? Do they use grass runs? - difficult to disinfect.
What would they suggest you bring with you - food, toys etc?
What litter do they use and how often do they change trays?
Do they include grooming and bottom checks? Important for some rabbits - elderly, long-haired etc.
What measures do they take for temp. control? Fans, fly nets etc...

I wouldnt ask the "quality" of hay, i would say "where does the hay come from?" Most likely it will be from a farm bale due to costs, i couldnt do it any other way. However i do feed the owners hay if they bring it themselves, so you could offer that if you wanted to. I also do the same with litter, we use wood shavings because most owners use that anyway, and the price would be dearer if we used megazorb, and when most people dont use it anyway it seems silly to charge more for such a thing. If owners wish to use megazorb i offer it an extra cost or they can supply their own, so im sure they wouldlet you do that too.

I would also ask about routine, we stick to owners routines whether its pellets twice a day, once, veg in the morning pellets in the evening etc etc.

I would also ask about unsupervised run time, If they went out, would the rabbits be in the hutch or in the run etc.

I would ask what access they have to an emergency vet.

I know you would anyway of course, but try to ask the questions as friendly as possible, i had someone come once with some questions on a notepad and literally just read each question off one after and it felt very bombarding, and judgemental. Ask questions you would ask, and dont assume they know everything of course, but dont treat them like they know nothing if that makes sense.

:) good luck x

Thanks for all the help. I just worry as Waffle gets upset tummies and I want to make everything as normal for her as I can.

Back