• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oldest rabbit you've ever owned

Terri_louise177

Alpha Buck
It's something I've always been curious about. I've heard that most rabbits live between 5 - 8 years old, but am unsure how accurate this is. So I was wondering, what's the oldest rabbit you've ever owned? I've just had a quick search online and the oldest rabbit seems to be a 16 yr old netherland!

And if you've had an elderly rabbit, what is your secret? I will be taking notes! :)

Trio was 8 or 9 but i only had him for about 8 months he was a very disabled little bunny.

Flynn was 6 i had had him since he was a baby, and he was a very disabled little bunny too, with a lot of health issues.

I have no idea what age my current bunnies are but i would guess Gracie is 4 or 5 so would be my eldest current bunny.

I'm not totally sure about the age of most of mine because they're all rescues, but my oldest at the moment is Winston a mini lop who is about 10-12 years. I've also got Jill who's about 7-8 years and Smokey who's about 7 years. My bridge buns Snowdrop and sh!tty were both aged about 9 years when they died.

Smartie: 5.3.2001 - 12.7.2010. That made him 9 years, 4 months and a week. This was despite many trips to the vet for molar spurs, calcified lung, gut mobility issues, repeated respiratory infections...

Echo, his litter brother, died on 8.10.2008. He was 7 years and 7months. With hindsight, probably had EC and died from a respiratory infection due to immobility.

They were small lionheads (about 1.5kg max)

Honestly haven't had much luck with mine. Only two out of the five I've owned died of natural causes, Jasper, my second bun who was an orange nethie I can't remember how old he was when he died, probably about 6 or 7 maybe:D? Neelix, who I had to give up was a sooty fawn dwarf lop. He went to a great home and lived for a long time, he must have been at least 7 or 8 when he finally passed:D:D. Gasket and Tappet were only four as most of you know :cry: and Biffo, my first sable nethie was probably about two :cry:

Last edited:
My rabbits are all young enough right now, but before them I had one rabbit, who lived til about 4 1/2 only. :( She seemed perfectly healthy and just one day was dead. I had seen her 20 minutes before she died, topped up her water bottle, she hopped over and seemed fine.

I didn't know about spaying female rabbits then, and that they get cancer so often. :( I think she was female, but I had never checked, so just a guess really. Though the vet said she would have had symptoms like weight loss and general not looking healthy if she had cancer, I don't know if that's true, but she did look in brilliant condition. She also said she wouldn't have died suddenly and it was probably more than likely her heart.

My first ever bunny Flintstone is the oldest bun I've ever had. I got "him" for my 10th birthday. My mum bought me a "Male Netherland Dwarf" and a book all about nethies.... after a few months we realised he was never going to be a nethie as he just kept growing! When he went for his first vaccinations we found out he was a she!! She was put to sleep a week before she would be 10. :(:(

Mr Fluff is 13 this October/November... :love: He's the dwarf lop in my piccy.

He's always been in the family, though was owned by my sister until I confiscated him along with her hamster. Then my mum looked after him while I was away at uni, and he now has possession of my living room. The thought of him not being here any more terrifies me :(

Mr Fluff is 13 this October/November... :love: He's the dwarf lop in my piccy.

He's always been in the family, though was owned by my sister until I confiscated him along with her hamster. Then my mum looked after him while I was away at uni, and he now has possession of my living room. The thought of him not being here any more terrifies me :(

Wow! That's amazing! Charlie is just over a year old at the moment, and April is 4 months, both mini lops. And I will do anything to keep them with me, healthy and happy, for as long as possible :D! So if you have any advice, please say :)

:shock: that's some good going for a frenchie!

yeah she was a tough old girl was thumper, when we got her she wasn't tame, but my sister managed to get her tame :love: i begged dad to ask mum if we could have her overwise she would die, and ever since then ive had bunnies in my life :love:

she died while i was on holiday, my nan knew she was dying, she phoned my mum on holiday crying saying she thought she was dying, the first thing i said was its thumper isn't it she's died, i knew, as she was very old, but died being hugged and comforted by my nan and my other rabbit

I had two unspayed bonded female bunnies Bluebell and Snowdrop... I too was ignorant then about spaying and bonding!! but they loved each other and both lived 8 years.

Wow! That's amazing! Charlie is just over a year old at the moment, and April is 4 months, both mini lops. And I will do anything to keep them with me, healthy and happy, for as long as possible :D! So if you have any advice, please say :)

Aw I just noticed that Charlie looks a lot like Merry... he's a mini lop too. And a proper little monkey!

I'm not really sure what has kept Mr Fluff so happy and healthy... a lot of it is probably genetics. His teeth are good, which probably helps a lot. And making sure he has good hay (he's quite picky with hay, I have to find the right consistency of timothy hay, and supplement that with oat hay which he has in a tube so he has to work harder for it). I think the thing that has made the difference in recent years has been being inside, as he has arthritis now so being inside keeps him comfy. And having lots of space and lots of love (he's a single bun) certainly keeps him happy too!

this was thumper my french lop

thumper.jpg

me with thumper and mitzi (taken week before thumper died, and mitzi died to young)

bunnies.gif

Teasel is a cross between a nethie & a lionhead. I had her when she had made it very plain that she would never be a cuddly child's pet at 1. She has survived an op to remove cancerous growths and also beaten catching Myxi' [she was vaccinated] she is now 8 years old and still going.

Fred English crossbreed. Had him as a rescue at 7 and he reached the grand old age of 13 years 6 months before I had to have him PTS when he developed an aggressive form of cancer and gave up.

All my buns get the best diet I can give them, loads of hay, twigs, SS pellets, lots of space to romp in, I keep them as clean as I can and take them to the vet ASAP I spot any trouble. All my buns except Tilly have/had very good teeth.

It does not always work though.

Daisy- ? found by daughter died 9 weeks old in critical rabbit care at vets.
Alice 3years- dwarf lop complete stasis refused to eat any roughage no matter what I and the vet tried. PTS on advice of vet after spending 12 months trying to get her better.
Toffee Giant Papilion/french lop 5 years heart attack.
Maxi 7 years - Myxi.
Tilly 4 years - Myxi.

Back