• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye advice please

karen354

Warren Veteran
As a lot of you know my little man Cookie has been poorly for around 10 days now :( He's lying down a lot so his one eye has shut, the vet has given eye drops which i can use up to 4 times a day.
Can anyone suggest anything else which might help his eye?

Jack's-Jane; said:
They are what I was going to suggest.

Is the eye looking sore or infected ?
. Yes the one eye is closed and looks dry, it was like that when he came home from hospital on Thursday. Says to only use in the affected eye, would u use in both?

. Yes the one eye is closed and looks dry, it was like that when he came home from hospital on Thursday. Says to only use in the affected eye, would u use in both?

So both eyes are looking sore ?

The viscotears just keep the eye lubricated, they dont treat any active infection.

When Wilson's down eye flares up we use the viscotears along side fucithalmic ointment to treat the infection - it might be worth asking your vet to consider prescribing some.

So both eyes are looking sore ?

The viscotears just keep the eye lubricated, they dont treat any active infection.

Just the one eye and it's the side he keep lying on I try and change his side he's sleeping but he's not having any of it.

Hi i agree with everything jane and denise said. Just to add, when mimi had her head tilt i gently cleaned both eyes daily with cooled boiled water to help remove dbris that she couldnt remove herself, and prevent the fur around her eyes getting matted from the drops. I used lubrication in both eyes as her up eye was also getting dry as she couldnt blink much.

With mimi her down eye became very small during her head tilt and was closed most of the time. Even now she has recovered her left eye is slightly smaller and we think shes lost most of her sight in it but she copes extremely well and it doesnt bother her atall.

Loads more vibes for cookie xxxx

Once he's looking a little bit better, it might be worth having his tear production tested. We had a similar problem with Pippin last year- she had a ulceration that was treated with fucithalmic and viscotears, which recurred a few months later. Her eye continued to look a little dry, and on testing (just with litmus paper) we found that she had 'dry eye' which we treated with optimmune for a few weeks. We haven't looked back since :D *touches wood*

Back