• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Try to get bunnies to love me - U/D with vids 09/08 - P7

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Morning

Well in order to get my bunnies to love me a bit more and not associate me with being picked up and bum checked all the time I've decided to take the advice on here and have some extra 'play time' with the buns.

See previous thread : http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239752 for more details.

The weather is rubbish (as usual) so I thought I'd bring them indoors (one at a time as they're currently separated until after Dizzi's spay, recovery and then bonding) and let them explore the living room and I could lay on the rug etc etc and let them explore me too.

So, bunny proofing the room ........ I've got a pen which I'm going to put round the tv stand to stop them getting behind (to all the wires) and I'm going to remove all my indoor plants (as not sure which ones may not be good for them).

I'm then going to add in a food and water bowl, a litter tray with hay in, a cat bed and some boxes and toys.

Is there anything else you can think of that I need to do? Obviously they'll be supervised the whole time and there aren't really any other things that they can hurt themselves on or eat (other than the skirting boards).

Any advice / top tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jo x

Last edited:
When i was bonding with Sox I lay down on the floor and put some treats on my tummy so that he could climb on me and eat so that i would be associated with treats and not lifting:) What you're doing sounds great!:)

I lay on the floor (currently bonding with pearl atm) and let her come to me. Then i give her a treat or a noserub and tell her she's a good girl in my nicest voice :oops:
when i got Littlebun i used to rub his head with my nose as though i was grooming him - i know it sounds mad but he loved it and i tried this with pearl last night and she groomed me back :love:

Wear old clothes so that the odd nibble won't matter too much! My rabbit tried to dig the bottom of my trousers last night. :lol::wave:

Brilliant - thanks, really good ideas there, I'll try them!

I'm really quite giddy about all this ....... but whilst I'm attempting to bond with one, I'll feel sorry for the other one outside wondering where his/her pal went (they're side by side and only separated by 2 layers of mesh so can see/smell each other all the time).

How long would you suggest each 'session' lasts? An hour / couple of hours / a few hours ???

Thaaaanks Jo x

Try half an hour to start with to get them used to the idea, then build it up (unless they're really happy and inquisitive, then let them stay in longer)

The one outside will be fine for a while whilst the other's in.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, had a lovely day with the buns on Saturday!

They loved coming indoors, they were into everything ....... and kept hopping over to me every now and again for a nosey and a sniff .... I sat on the floor lent against the sofa and they both thought it was great fun to run behind me and hide!!

I took a few videos whilst they were indoors ....... here's a few clips.

First off we had Rascal : (just click on the pic to see the vid)

[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/BitzyBlossom/Bunnies/?action=view&current=Video0118.mp4][/URL]

Then it was Dizzi's turn ...... she got a bit excited and misjudged and ran into the sofa on this one, she was trying to kinda turn but didn't quite make it ... its near the beginning .... but don't worry, she was ok!

[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/BitzyBlossom/Bunnies/?action=view&current=Video0122.mp4][/URL]

Dizzi's being spayed on Thursday so the fact she's been in the living room (where she'll be staying for a few days post-op) is good as it won't all be completely new and different and scary to her when she's not feeling her best.

Jo x

you and your buns make me so jealous!! They are adorable. Your two don't even attempt what Biscuit would have done in your home!

Biccy wouldnt have been on the sofas, digging at whatever it is you've blocked the side of the sofa by the radiator with and chewing the life out of your rug and your shoes:lol::lol::lol:

They are sooooooo adorable though.:love:

Hahahaha - awwww thanks ......... I think they were on their best behaviour as it was their first time in.

After the vid was taken Dizzi jumped up onto the top of the cardboard tunnel and it all collapsed, she then jumped on top of her carrier and looked like she was going to have a bounce on the sofa but then must have had second thoughts and jumped back off.

Can Biscuit make it up onto the sofa in one leap?

Hahahaha - awwww thanks ......... I think they were on their best behaviour as it was their first time in.

After the vid was taken Dizzi jumped up onto the top of the cardboard tunnel and it all collapsed, she then jumped on top of her carrier and looked like she was going to have a bounce on the sofa but then must have had second thoughts and jumped back off.

Can Biscuit make it up onto the sofa in one leap?

Yes, without even trying:lol: He's 4 days over 6 months old (born 5th February).

He jumped 2.5 feet on saturday am on top of the hutch thats in his pen. So i know he's got very strong back legs, just decided that on his 6 months day he'd test out just how strong they are. My sofa is about the same height as yours and he almost hops onto it, rather than jumps! no difficulty at all.

:)

Awe how gorgeous are they :love: Dizzy is hilarious she was definately more excited and inquisitive I love that bit where her head pops up the other side of the carrier and her ear is out wide :lol:

Yes, without even trying:lol: He's 4 days over 6 months old (born 5th February).

He jumped 2.5 feet on saturday am on top of the hutch thats in his pen. So i know he's got very strong back legs, just decided that on his 6 months day he'd test out just how strong they are. My sofa is about the same height as yours and he almost hops onto it, rather than jumps! no difficulty at all.

:)

Blimey ..... little monkey .......he's sooo cute and looks like butter wouldn't melt!

Blimey ..... little monkey .......he's sooo cute and looks like butter wouldn't melt!

Yeah, hence the white sheet on [Project Play Pen] now :lol:

They grow up so quickly, but he's still so tiny and adorable. Shame he's not a snuggly cuddly bunny, but makes me so happy when he comes and sits on me and licks my tshirt bless him :love:

Coooo over your buns and mine!

Awe how gorgeous are they :love: Dizzy is hilarious she was definately more excited and inquisitive I love that bit where her head pops up the other side of the carrier and her ear is out wide :lol:

Awww thaaanks ........... yeah Rascal is definitely the more laid back out of the two, in fact, he spent a good half hour on the fleece in the corner flopped out! .............Whereas Dizzi wouldn't keep still the whole time she was in there!

Back