• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy Rubs...

bugsy's owner

Young Bun
These tummy rubs,

how do you do them? Bugsy has a noisy tummy and has had for over a week, he went to the vets and got fibreplex but it diddnt change things.

Hes still eating, drinking and going toilet. Running round etc. but i just read about tummy rubs, massaged his tummy gently and he seemed to like it and sat on my knee for more.

Do you think it will help?
How exactly do you do it? not sure if i could make him lie on his back for it though.

My bunny also has a similar problem (is also on fibreplex) and she likes tummy rubs too :) I think they help.
Herbs are really good for bunny stomach churning. I bought my bunny some pellets that have oregano in which is meant to help digestion.

Hey I have just read your thread about your death defying bunny. I hope she recovers as best she can asap.

Ive never been so panicky about a pet in my life! But hes scoffing down loads of hay so cant decide if hes ill or not.

When i rubbed his tummy it felt a bit lumpy? is that something to worry about? What exactly are symptoms of bloat? Want to be prepared in worst case scenario so I can get him to vets quickly.

I don't know much about bunny tums apart from that they are pretty sensitive, bumping this up so someone more experienced will see it :wave: We all worry about our buns, it shows you care. :D

As he's eating hay I wouldn't be too concerned, what are his poos like? Do you have a picture? They should be fairly large, goldeny-brown and crumble under pressure. I would get you a pic but I've lost my camera cable. I'm sure you're disappointed to not see bunny poo! :lol:

Edit: Another thread with some beautiful pictures of bunny poo, the ones on the left are pretty bog-standard :wave:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=235163&highlight=golden+poo

Last edited:
Thanks, his poos last night, I couldnt tell the difference between the ones he should eat and the normal ones. they all looked like caecatrophs:(

Normal poos are the round ones.
The caecotrophs are very dark and glossy, small and smelly and look like a minature bunch of grapes.

None of my buns like to lie on their backs so I sit my bun on my lap and put my hand under their tum to give a gentle massage/ rub.

You shouldn't feel anything "lumpy" though, and if it still feels lumpy I'd get him checked out.

Back