• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think you might find it is the VHD jab that has caused the limp. Did the vets use Cylap? It should say on the vaccination card. If so, this is a known side effect and you might want to talk to your vet about using an alternative called Lapinject in the future. If you have a search on the forum on this you will find other people who have reported this. Hope Pierre is ok xxx

I've been searching the forum for a link to send you as i read one only a couple of days ago! Typical I can't find it, but I will keep looking and send it to you. Obviously if it carries on it would be worth checking out in case it's a coincidence and he has hurt himself. I am sure someone more experienced with VHD Jabs will be along soon and can offer some better advice!

From reading that thread it might be worth asking the vet for some Metacam which is pain relief and an anti inflammatory. Hope this helps..

Thanks so much for your help :wave: now I know it could be cylap related I can monitor it a bit better. I only noticed it this morning, yesterday he was sleeping most of the time. Just hope he understands not to keep jumping out of the cage and off of my bed cos it might hurt him. Pierre is not a stupid bun and can be quite cunning at times but he does have his moments, he ran into my wardrobe once.

I shall scan some topics see if I can locate it and read :)

It's no problem, they are such a worry aren't they! If I find any more threads I will send them to you.:)

Don't beat yourself up. All of my bunnies have had Cylap with no reaction to date (as my vets don't do Lapinject) fortunately! At least you did some research before he had it - I didn't as I hadnt seen the warnings on the forum. It's only since I have become aware of the risks, but because my buns haven't reacted badly to it I haven't worried too much. I think whatever happens it may be worth getting Pierre some Metacam in the morning so he's a bit more comfortable - and able to have a good dig at yout bedding :lol:

Awww sounds like a lovely bun! I'm quite jealous! My OH wouldn't let the buns on our bed in case they had an accident :(

I hope Pierre is ok and he recovers quickly. You will have to PM me and let me know how he gets on xx

Back