• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit has eaten ivy

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Well today is an eventful day...

Rosie the stray rabbit has been brought round by her ex-owners with her friend Penelope. (I'll post picks later...)

I left Penelope in the run while I put Rosie into my indoor hutch, and when I came back I found Penelope had escaped from the run, jumped up on to the wall about 5ft from the run and startd to eat the ivy. I grabbed her while she was still munching and tried to pull the rest out of her mouth.

She's fine at the moment (happened about 30 mins ago) but I know this is a poisnous plant...I'm not sure what to do. The last time I called the vet about Buzz eating a poisnous plant they told me Ishould wait for symptoms.

What sort of symptoms would ivy cause?

PS, I now have FIVE rabbits.

PPS I think I'm in shock!

My rabbits have eaten ivy before with no ill effects :oops: Not that I condone feeding it to them, but just to illustrate that it's not necessarily a life threatening situation as it could be with some plants. I think it is a stomach irritant and effects tend to be proportionate to the amount eaten; if it was just a little munch I would keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary but hopefully, like mine in the past, she will be fine.

all mine have also done the same with no ill affects, hopefully the new bun will be ok, just maybe keep an eye on her :wave:

Mine to and I have no rhubarb left either:oops::oops::oops::oops:

:lol::lol::lol: my grandad used to grow rhubarb, he loved it, until i got a guinea pig, and he ate the lot, and grandad didn't have any left, he didn't mind though, he said as long as goldie (pig) was happy :lol:

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I can't believe I now have five rabbits... jeez.

I've really got to start thinking of what I'm going to do with them.

Back