• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Upset Stomach

Hello,
I have just gone out to check on my bunnys and my boy George has done lots of soft stools, more than I have ever seen. They are not watery or have and blood etc.. in them, just really soft and smelly. I am worried that he is ill. I gave him a new treat yesterday do you think that this could be the cause?

Thanks

Is he ok in himself? If not then best pop to the vet just to be on the safe side as this time of year is terrible for flystrike for any bun. Perhaps just feed hay leave out any new treats/feed for now and just keep a very close eye on him. :wave:

Take him to the vet straight away. Young buns are at a seriously high risk of dehydration if they have soft stools/diarrhea and NEED to see a vet for fluids. ...also they'll need to monitor him if he gets any worse. You can get some "critical care" from the vets to settle his stomach. You need to make sure he's still eating and drinking, and isn't listless.

Are they in clusters like a small cluster of small poops stuck together surrounded by a shiney substance? If so, these are the ediable poops, which could well mean that his diet is not high enough in fibre, so only feed hay until this clears up. If it is not then yes defiantly take him to the vets.

Teddys Mummy is right.Ring the vet at least and see what they suggest????
Hope hes ok.xxx

Sorry I reread what I wrote and it looked quite aggressive. :oops: So to right it I'm going to send you some... :love::love::love:

Good luck to the little fella. Please get him to a vet.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah its still little balls he has just done loads and keeps stepping in it. Ive cleaned the poo away and i brought him in and checked him over and he has no poo anywhere around his bottom. He is still eating, drinking and throwing his toys around like normal. I will phone the vets just to see what they say.

I dont want him to get ill, im mid-bonding atm :)
(I have checked my girl and she is fine no poo problems but I also checked her cage and she didn't eat the treat which is what makes me think it might have been that)

:love:

They may be caecotrophs.I have no idea as I cant see them...and Im not a vet to say they are not.
Too many pellets can cause these poops aswell.Have you ever seen the poops that bunnys do?? The ones they eat??
Could be them?

If they look like THIS (or squished this) then there's probably nothing to worry about (sorry about the picture) but I'd still check it out.

171003%20002.jpg

If it's diarrhea then there's likely to be staining on the tail and backs of legs. This requires an emergency vet appointment.

I agree with the above, I would probably go to the vets regardless with a young bun.

(love the pic btw Teddy's Mummy :lol: it's such a great shape!)

Yeah it is like them and I have seen him do them before but just not this much which makes me think his tummy is upset.

I just phoned my vets and they said that it sounds like a dietary problem so not to give him any treats etc over the weekend and more hay and it should stop so fingers crossed!!

He sleeps in my bedroom anyways so ill be able to keep a good eye on him.

He is just over a year old now so not too young so hopefully wont be anything worse.

Thank you all for the help. I feel reassured :)

Just out of interest, now we have satisfied ourselves that its caecotrophs,what pellets do you feed him and how many??
Its been said on here that too many can cause too many of these poops.....
It may be the treats yesterday too.Awwww...oooh...hes not on any meds is he?? They say if a bun is on meds the n it alters the taste and bun wont eat them!!!!

He is on excel pellets mixed with a rabbit mix (I am moving him off the mix to the pellets but he has been having this excel mix for about 3 weeks now so it shouldnt really be a food change) and he gets 2 handfuls in the morning and then some fruit/ veg in the evening when he comes inside.

No not on any meds...he had his mixi 2 weeks ago but that shouldnt be affecting him now.

I was starting to think that I was over feeding him though as he seems to be getting heavier and he is the most greedy bunny in the world lol i have to drop the food in the cage and run as he trys to box me as soon as he sees the food bowl :)

He is on excel pellets mixed with a rabbit mix (I am moving him off the mix to the pellets but he has been having this excel mix for about 3 weeks now so it shouldnt really be a food change) and he gets 2 handfuls in the morning and then some fruit/ veg in the evening when he comes inside.

No not on any meds...he had his mixi 2 weeks ago but that shouldnt be affecting him now.

I was starting to think that I was over feeding him though as he seems to be getting heavier and he is the most greedy bunny in the world lol i have to drop the food in the cage and run as he trys to box me as soon as he sees the food bowl :)

I would start cutting down the quantity of pellets, you say he has 2 handfulls, I would start cutting down to 1 handful and continue to cut down until he is having either an egg cup full per day or 1 TBLS per day, pellets as I am sure you know are the least important part of bunnies diets so it really should be fed sparingly.
Also fruit may well be the sorce of the excess ceacals, fruit is a treat food, bunnies do not need fruit so should not be given it regually, it can upset the gut flora due to the high sugar and acid.

Back