• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you feed pellets?

How often do you feed pellets?

• Once daily

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Twice daily

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • More than twice daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I feed them little and often throughout the day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont feed pellets at all

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
From the thread about what time buns are fed there seems to be a spilt between feeding once and twice a day so thought I would do a poll.

How often do you feed pellets to your bunnies? Are there any particular reasons why you do it how you do?

Well they have their main feed in the morning, then a few when I get home, then some more before bed, I mainly do it like that to check they are eating!

My two get a small amount at 5am when Ian leaves for work, then they get a small amount of veg when I get up at 6.30.

Ian then gives them another small amount of pellett at 2pm when he comes back, and I feed a few dandilion leaves or herbs at around 5pm when I come home.

i just like to spread their food out through out the day.. gives me and them something to look forward to, and also it means that we are around them more often :wave:

They get thier proper amount once a day in eth eveing.
but ill give them a few pellets randomly as a treat throughout day

Alfie and Bubbles have their pellets in two portions - morning and early evening.

They have the morning ones as they're 'starving' and the only way to get into the kennel without being mobbed is to chuck some pellets up the other end. :lol:

The evening ones are to check they're still eating ok and also to get them back in the kennel, as they have them straight after their free range time. :)

Mine get them last thing at night before I go to bed. They get their veggies for brekki and unlimited hay so the pellets are more of a treat when I say night night.

I feed mine in the evenings - if I fed them in the morning as well I'd have to get up at at least half 5 cos I have to leave for work at half 6.

If there was a health reason for them to need to be fed twice a day, then
I would, of course, but they're fine, and have access to plenty of hay all day everyday!

Xxx

I feed pellets at breakfast time, and veg at supper time.

The reason for this is that I don't like leaving uneaten pellets in the outdoor hutches in case they attract mice/rats

I feed mine twice a day and they all appear to be starving when its pellet time! They get veggies when I get home from work about 5pm ish.

I feed pellets at breakfast time, and veg at supper time.

The reason for this is that I don't like leaving uneaten pellets in the outdoor hutches in case they attract mice/rats

No chance of that happening with Strawbs!!!

Snowdrop is a nibbler throughout the day so if she still has some morning ones left then she doesnt have her tea time ones.

No chance of that happening with Strawbs!!!

:lol::lol::lol: It's not something Alfie would ever do either. :roll: I think sometimes Bubbles would like to save some pellets for later but she never gets the chance. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: It's not something Alfie would ever do either. :roll: I think sometimes Bubbles would like to save some pellets for later but she never gets the chance. :lol:

I think this is how Snowdrop lost so much weight when bonded with strawbs. The stress of him chasing her and then him eating all the pellets at once was too much for her. She does much better on her own.

Gasket and Tappet had a bowlful at bedtime around 10.00 or 11.00. Sometimes they had some in a treatball between 6 Pm and 10.00 ish or a few from the hand.

Sprocket and Widget are given much less than that, they have a small handfull thrown into their carrier to get them into the house, a few more from the hand to get them used to being handled and then their main feed, about an eggcup's worth beteween the two of them in the treatball, scattered in their bedding in the litter trays and in the carrier to get them back out of the house when it's bedtime (around 10.00 to 11.00).:D This is mainly because Sprocket doesn't seem comfortable being picked up so I use the carrier between the garden and house.

That's when I'm in. If I'm out in the evening they will just get a few scattered in their trays and a restock of the treatball.

Rodge gets his pellets in the evening as its the only way of getting him back in the hutch after his free range time! :lol: As soon as he sees his shiny bowl in my hand, he is in that hutch like a bat out of hell! :lol:

I think this is how Snowdrop lost so much weight when bonded with strawbs. The stress of him chasing her and then him eating all the pellets at once was too much for her. She does much better on her own.

It must be quite stressful for some buns. Luckily, Bubbles has learnt to eat a bit faster and she hides when the pellets are first put down to avoid being chased. It's a pain when she's off her food though as I can't just leave lots of tasty treats around for her to eat later because Alfie would just scoff the lot. :roll:

carlo Bless him has really had to learn to gobble stuff up fast, because Bobby is a literal monster:shock::shock:

He now grabs what he can, and runs away with it to eat in the corner poor love

Left over pellets? What are those? :oops:
Blue gets his scoop (and a bit) in his treat ball, and Marnie gets hers in her bowl.
I put extra in the treat ball cause Marnie 'helps' after she has finished hers :oops:
They get pellets twice (breakfast and bedtimne) because otherwise I get my feet nibbled and they wont got to bed otherwise :oops:

It used to be once a day, but they l love pellet time so much I split the rations in half and do it morning and evening now -something to look forward to :lol:

Plus, if ne pair's out in the run they are far more willing to come back in if they know they have pellets waiting for them ;)

Back