• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stinky Bunnies

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Right my two are house buns and at the moment i clean their litter and room daily, however, as much as I love keeping house bunnies they don't half pong :shock:

I just worry that people visiting can smell them as I am sure I am just accustomed to the bunny smell.

Even though I clean the litters daily they still smell, I only use newspaper and hay, has anyone got any tricks or litter suggestions to allieviate the smell x

i've got some powerdery stuff that the vets recommend when i asked the same question, you just put it on the newspaper under the hay / wood chippets and it keeps everything nice and fresh. I can go get the name of it if you want?

I'll just have to take Biscuit's box out from under the stairs as its in there.

:wave:

i've got some powerdery stuff that the vets recommend when i asked the same question, you just put it on the newspaper under the hay / wood chippets and it keeps everything nice and fresh. I can go get the name of it if you want?

I'll just have to take Biscuit's box out from under the stairs as its in there.

:wave:

That would be awesome, I never had the problem when i just had the one bunny, but peeyooo Carlo's urine smells I think :shock:

My house just smells of hay mostly. I use megazord as its good for reducing odour :wave:

That would be awesome, I never had the problem when i just had the one bunny, but peeyooo Carlo's urine smells I think :shock:

Marnie has stinky wee too...and cause she drinks LOADS theres lots of it

I use Carefresh litter which does seem to mask/absorb most smells - it's darned expensive though!

Yeah it is :shock:... and I have to hope they will go on it, I have tried and failed in the past to make them go on any litter, they will only poop on hay:roll:

argh, OH has thrown it away as it was nearly empty.

I'll probably be up there over the weekend where we get it from so i'll take a look and maybe a pic for you!

Sorry :( I searched their wbesite, but its a poor one.

argh, OH has thrown it away as it was nearly empty.

I'll probably be up there over the weekend where we get it from so i'll take a look and maybe a pic for you!

Sorry :( I searched their wbesite, but its a poor one.

No worries, I am going to try mega zorb first I think, just had someone round the other day, and downstairs was spotless and the buns were upstairs in their room, and the girl started sniffing and asked whether I kept pets?? I just presumed that she could smell them :oops:

Yeah it is :shock:... and I have to hope they will go on it, I have tried and failed in the past to make them go on any litter, they will only poop on hay:roll:

The trick is: underneath a layer of litter (I use Bunny's Bed-o-linum, it's pretty good at keeping the smell away) and over it a good layer of hay. It works well for my buns although their poops do smell... I suppose one can only do so much against it.

My house just smells of hay mostly. I use megazord as its good for reducing odour

I dread to think how bad my two would smell if I didn't use Megazorb then ........ its bad enough as it is and I change their litter tray every day.

Dizzi's (girl) smells as bad as Rascal's (boy) :oops: :shock: :?

ETA : although to be fair to them, I only really smell it when I'm emptying their litter trays ....... can't smell it all the time!

Maybe the girl who mentioned the smell (how very rude btw) could smell hay?

Last edited:
What do you clean the litter trays with? White vinegar is good for odours.

Graham are you thinking of this?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cage-fresh-granules-600gm-by-beaphar-15790

Shelly are you sure its urine you can smell and its not the bunnies themselves? Their scent glands might need cleaning.

I use a Pet disinfectant, whish tbh honest is rubbish :roll:

I have sniffed them and they smell nice well like Bunnies... Carlo sometimes smells a bit like gone off beer from time to time, but then it goes as soon as it comes. Could that be hormones? He is neutered :?

I use a Pet disinfectant, whish tbh honest is rubbish

Maybe try the vinegar then. Its much cheaper and absolutely brilliant at removing urine stains from the trays.

Seriously if you lot think Bunnies smell never get any piggies. I don't even notice the bunnies compared to them.

Maybe try the vinegar then. Its much cheaper and absolutely brilliant at removing urine stains from the trays.

Seriously if you lot think Bunnies smell never get any piggies. I don't even notice the bunnies compared to them.

Haha, I don't mind the smell TBH, its just I am aware of it if you get me? But there agai n my OH can't smell them:?

It really is just because people think I am nutty for keeping indoor buns, and i would hate the people I have been telling that they are clean nice pets to smell them.. maybe I am just paranoid

when all mine were indoors (sniff :() i cleaned them out every day,i used megazorb in the trays and either scrubbed them with a washing up brush thingy or used vinegar and left it to soak in a while before rinsing. I cleaned the bases of the crates twice a day and hoovered them twice a day :oops:
They still smelt especially when it was warm. They love it outside making a mess everywhere :lol:
Pearl is a very tidy girl and litter trained herself really in one day,she lays nicely on the blankets and doesn't chew or wee on them and doesn't do anything outside the crate....maybe she is lulling me into a false sense of security though :lol:

when all mine were indoors (sniff :() i cleaned them out every day,i used megazorb in the trays and either scrubbed them with a washing up brush thingy or used vinegar and left it to soak in a while before rinsing. I cleaned the bases of the crates twice a day and hoovered them twice a day :oops:
They still smelt especially when it was warm. They love it outside making a mess everywhere :lol:
Pearl is a very tidy girl and litter trained herself really in one day,she lays nicely on the blankets and doesn't chew or wee on them and doesn't do anything outside the crate....maybe she is lulling me into a false sense of security though :lol:

Bobby used to be a good girl with litter, but since her fella moved in, who is the messiest bunneh I have ever encountered, she has started doing the odd poop where she fancies :evil:

Do you think that Carlo scatters his poop around for a reason? because he does go in the tray, but he seems to need to poop all over the room as well:?

I sometimes sweep up with them in the room, do you think he is marking his pad?

Back