• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think my bunnies may hate me!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

I think I may have posted about this before but Dizzi and Rascal have decided that they HATE being picked up......... BUT, I'm paranoid about checking their bums and do it every day ... in order to do this properly, I have to pick them up.

Each time I do it, there's a struggle but each time I try and be as quick as possible and give them lots of treats (well, their pellets and some veggies, which they love so much they get giddy about) afterwards.

Its got to the point now though that as soon as I go to stroke them, they run off.

If I give them a treat (pellet or veg), they run off with it (probably because they know when I'm treating them I'm usually about to pick them up for a bum check).

And now they won't come to me anymore!!

I fear they hate me.

Is there anything I can do to make bum checks etc less traumatic for them and get them to trus and love me again.

Thanks, Jo x

PS/ I'm never rough with them but I try to be firm and confident when I handle them but they wriggle like mad so I end up having to cradle them whilst I check them to stop them jumping out of my arms.

I feel your pain, Biscuit is exactly the same. I'm trying to teach him to be picked up with the quick up /down plan with treats, it's not going so great, but i'm persavearing(sp?).:?

mylo is exactly the same, he used to come to me easily when i had a bag of kale and stay there eatin it and let me pick him up for about 30 seconds but now hes worked out i am tryin to pick him up so he grabs a piece of kale in his mouth and runs away so i have to try and chase him! and hes faster than me!

They need to learn that you are not going to pick them up every time you go near them. Sit with them and let them explore you without picking them up, and sometimes give them a treat for no reason.

My boys don't like being picked up but will happily go into a carry case. I bring them indoors, sit on the settee, open the case and they will come out onto my lap. I also let them play for a bit before any checks as well.

If their living area is kept clean and they don't get sticky bottoms they are at less risk anyway. I let my boys relax for their afternoon naps then when they are stretched out I kneel down and check their bottoms are clean.

Just take your time and they will learn to enjoy you again - mine come running up every time I go near them as I will usually take a few rose petals or other healthy treat. It's lovely that they are so enthusiastic - yours can be like that too :)

They need to learn that you are not going to pick them up every time you go near them. Sit with them and let them explore you without picking them up, and sometimes give them a treat for no reason.

My boys don't like being picked up but will happily go into a carry case. I bring them indoors, sit on the settee, open the case and they will come out onto my lap. I also let them play for a bit before any checks as well.

If their living area is kept clean and they don't get sticky bottoms they are at less risk anyway. I let my boys relax for their afternoon naps then when they are stretched out I kneel down and check their bottoms are clean.

Just take your time and they will learn to enjoy you again - mine come running up every time I go near them as I will usually take a few rose petals or other healthy treat. It's lovely that they are so enthusiastic - yours can be like that too :)

Mylo always comes runnin to see me, and sniffs me, i dont pick him up every time, he must be psychic and sense what i am up to! I often bring him kale in and dont pick him up. hes a clever little bunny!

I agree with this. With my nervous bunnies I've been known to sit in the run for hours reading my book. They soon clamber all over you when they think you are ignoring them.

Mylo always comes runnin to see me, and sniffs me, i dont pick him up every time, he must be psychic and sense what i am up to! I often bring him kale in and dont pick him up. hes a clever little bunny!

Yep, my two are like this .... they come running and I give them 'treat's as and when but yeah they seem to sense when I'm up to something .... maybe I give off stress vibes to them or something and they know whats up, then they avoid me like the plague and won't come to me!

I do spend quite a bit of time sitting in the runs with them (they're separated at mo so have to do it one at a time) and then they'll jump on me, come sniff me, try and 'dig' me etc ..... but its like they can sense what's about to happen when I decide its bum-check time.

Might bring them in one at a time (in their carrier) and let them have a play and like Blackberry suggests, have a good look whilst they're flopping or stretching!

I would love for them not to mind being picked up tho! (sigh).

I clean them out every day and sweep up any spare poops that are lying around in the run, their living area is very clean, they don't have sticky bums and I have sprayed them with rearguard stuff that's meant to last for 3 months but I'm still very paranoid about it!

Thanks for the top tips tho, I'll give them a try!

They can definitely pick up when you're stressed, bless 'em!

Very few rabbits enjoy being picked up and held, although a few tolerate it. For them being picked up means they have been caught be a predator.

It's good to get them used to being handled, tho, cos if you ever need to syringe feed them or give meds it will be easier if they're used to being handled.

Keep persevering! They're still very young and lively ;)

My Spenser hates being picked up.:roll: I suspect that due to his previous owner's ill health he was not handled much before I got him at 7 months (although he was loved and well cared for), but it may just be the prey animal instinct. At the moment the elusive fellow is getting his way as I have broken my right arm and am depending on parents (who can't lift him) manouevring him into his carrier to get him from hutch to run. Obviously this makes bum checks nearly impossible, but like Blackberry I take the opportunity of a lying down and relaxed bunny to check as best I can. ;) I'm sure you bunnies don't hate you, but it is important that they don't just associate you with being picked up. :wave:

Thanks everyone .... I'll take the opportunity of weekend to bring them indoors one at a time and have a bit of 'play' time so they can properly explore me etc.

It is a bit awkward sitting in the run at the moment with it being separated down the middle (its 12ft long and 5½ft wide which doesn't give me much room width-wise for manouveur), so I do sit in it but I'm kinda squished up and not very relaxed so maybe that's not helping either (if I sit with my legs down the length of the run I block off their access to the hutch, if I sit sideways on, I have to sit cross-legged and take up the whole of the width of that side of the run)! So I think getting them in the carrier and taking them in the living room and just chilling on the rug with them may be the way forward!

Thanks again x

I can pick Louie up easily enough but he goes mad after a couple of seconds and always ends up sitting on your shoulder :shock:

Back