• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Duphapen Strep..doseage?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello friends :wave:,

Could anybody tell me what the doseage for Duphapen Strep is per kilo weight of bunny, in the treatment of pasteurella please?

Lots of love,

Nicola and Herman x x x

Just googled it and it seems to contain penicillin so definitely do not give by mouth to a rabbit....

It only seems to be recommended for use it cattle, sheep and horses, and then via injection

Last edited:
Hello :wave:

Yes, it's an injectable procaine penicillin which can be used in the treatment of pasteurella. Just wondering what the doseage is per kilo bodyweight. I want to double check the doseage is correct.

Thankoo : )

Love,

Nicola and Herman x x x

My vet has given me ready drawn syringes of the duphapen strep but I'm not sure it's the right doseage. I've had it before for similar weight buns as Herman and it doesn't look right.

Nicola and Herman x x x

Nicola, Duphapen is an abx whose dose really can only be confirmed by the Vet treating the Rabbit. I am not trying to be awkward, but it would be illegal for us to tell you a dose rate. I would not even say 'my Vet uses so-and-so dose' as my Vet has not examined your Bun and the dose rate can vary.

Hi Jane, I understand x x x

I just want to double check that I have the correct dosage before giving it to my bun.

All the other vets at that practice don't have a clue about rabbits so I wouldn't feel confident in speaking with them.

Even if I could find out what the advised dosage is I can then contact my vet again on Monday and question her about it when she's back in. Want to make sure I have the facts as it's in my bunnies best interest : )

x x x

The usual dosage for depocillin is 0.25ml for rabbits less than 2.5kgs and 0.5ml for rabbits more than 2.5kgs...but it looks like Duphapen contain less units per ml, so perhaps the dose is a bit higher?

See info Duphanpen here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Duphapen_-Strep/-32572.html

Contrasted with depocillin:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Int...00_mg_ml_Suspension_for_injection/-28787.html

TBH dosage rates for penicillin are a bit random in general (i.e. why would a bun weighing 2.6kg need a quarter of a ml more than one weighing 2.4kg? :? )

Back