• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does the rabbit run need to be attached to the hutch

They can be seperate but it is advised they are together, to save you having to move them in and out of the runs,also it gives them more square footage space wise inc hutch. I have mine seperate at the moment, but they are out in the runs pretty much 24/7 and just in for the more winter weather.

They can be separate, it's up to you and what space you have. If they're separate the handy thing is you can move the run around the grass maybe. But you have to carry the rabbit out to the run, which can be annoying if you've a wriggly rabbit. And in bad weather if you don't want to put the rabbit in the run, it's easier if the run is attached so the rabbit can go out when it chooses if the rain stops or whatever. But some rabbits will then just sit out in the rain! :roll: :lol:

It's best if the run is permanently and securely attached to the hutch and the run is secure on all sides (including top and bottom) so nothing can get in or out.

I can see the benefits of both. Mine are seperate at the moment so i can move the run around on the grass. I did have some issues with wriggly buns and daily battles with Sparkle as she hates being picked up from the hutch, but now they are such clever buns that I open the hutch in the morning, let them out and then open the door to the run and in they go! They also put themselves to bed at night after they've free ranged for about an hour and a half.
i'm hoping they are learning the words 'run' and 'bed' - they seem to know most of the time but I thuink they just humour me. :lol:
I've got another run (with lid) to attach directly to the hutch but I haven't used it yet - my intention is for them to go in there when the weather gets worse so that as Morgana says they can choose to be in or out but I prefer them to be on the grass for now. Part of the run is covered and it also has a 'house' at one end. I suppose the best idea would be a combination of all of them. When i move house I will have better designed bunny facilities.....:D

I have an under run to the hutch, but bunny hasn't mastered the stairs :( so I've had to take them out for his safety. Also have a large movable pen on the grass:). Wish I had a big attached run as I've broken my arm and am currently depending on a combination of carrier/parents to move bunny about.:oops::(

I have a shed which has a permanent run attatched and its great because they can go out whenever they want. However, thats on concrete and they have a seperate run for grass.

If you only have your run on grass and not concrete then i wouldnt see the point of it being attatched. My threee ruin grass within 2 days, eating it, pooping on it, the grass just dies. where as if its seperate you can move it around to fresh grass. I can see the benefits of both. but i prefer seperate runs if its to go on grass.

Mine are in a hutch/run attached on concrete. I also put them into a separate run on grass - but as others have commented, they ruin the grass - mine with digging. I will have to get a good rain cover for the run and hutch soon, though, as the bottom of the hutch is more exposed - taken door off so run could be attached. It's a two storey hutch so they they have a dry, boarded bedroom area, as well as space to use as a living area, upstairs. I find it easier having the run attached. We're in and out a lot - we don't have to tear back from where ever we are if there's a sudden downpour because we know they'll hop into the hutch to keep dry. You have to do what suits you best and work out a routine that keeps you and your buns happy, imo. :wave:

I think that even the minimum recomended hutch size would be too small without an attached run. Rabbits need lots of space, the bigger the better.

Mine have a shed with a run attached, but they get locked in the shed at night time, until 5.30am. Which isn't ideal, but at least I know they are ok in the run, I know nothing can get in - its built out of dog crate pannels, but I worry a fox might come up and scare them over night.

It's best if the run is permanently and securely attached to the hutch and the run is secure on all sides (including top and bottom) so nothing can get in or out.

The main issues are so nothing can get in or out, & that the buns have somewhere to hide at all times if they get frightened.
If you go for bolting the run to the hutch, I'd use press release bolts. Foxes can easily unbolt most other types.

Strawberry has a wendy house with attached 10ft run on concrete but I also make sure he has at least a few hours of free range time.

I think runs are great, but nothing beats bunnies having an area to free range in so really get running!

Back