• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kidney failure - need advice please

Sproggie14

Warren Scout
I posted recently that I was worried about my girl, Kitkat

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238731

She went in yesterday to have bloods and a proper tooth check under GA. She had a couple of small spurs but nothing which really explained her eating issues. Still, I've been delighted to see her eating much better in the last 24 hours and was beginning to hope that maybe that expained everything.

But the vet has just called to say her results are back and she has raised kidney levels and calcium. There's still a chance that the teeth caused her weight loss and th kidney issues are coincidental so we're going to see how she goes for a little while. But it's likely that she will need treatment, possibly regular fluids and maybe some fortekor.

However, my vet admits she hasn't managed a bunny with kidney issues before so is going to do some more research. I wondered whether anyone had experience of this and if they could offer any advice? I'd be interested to hear about any treatments tried and how things progressed for your buns.

Thanks

I have had a few Rabbits with chronic renal failure. They were bought some time on a regime of anabolic steroid injections, multivitamin injections, Fortekor and dietary modification. They did not require fluid therapy til the very end stage. On average each Bun had about another 6-8 months of good quality life.

Back