• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone know what Prednicare tablets are ?

They are a corticosteroid. They have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect.In Rabbits corticosteroids should be used with extreme caution as Rabbits are very sensitive to the potential adverse side-effects (immunosuppression and GI tract ulceration). Antibiotic cover may be a sensible option if a Rabbit has to have a corticosteroid. However, in some cases it may be appropriate/the only option to give a corticosteroid but treatment should be carefully monitored by the prescribing Vet. Administering them via injection is preferable to oral administration.

I'm a bit nervous cookie being on these to be honest. He's on 1 tablet a day of these, panacur liquid and eye drops. The vets cookie has is a very experienced bloke when it comes to buns but I'm thinking should cookie be on antibiotics and taken of these tablets. We see the vet a week on Monday but have spoke to him on the phone everyday.

I'm a bit nervous cookie being on these to be honest. He's on 1 tablet a day of these, panacur liquid and eye drops. The vets cookie has is a very experienced bloke when it comes to buns but I'm thinking should cookie be on antibiotics and taken of these tablets. We see the vet a week on Monday but have spoke to him on the phone everyday.

Personally I would want to know why a steroid is being given as opposed to a NSAID (Metacam) and I'd also want reassurance that the risk of using a steroid (baring in mind that it is much more of a risk to a Rabbit than to other species) was justified when no definitive diagnosis has yet been established.

Severe headtilt can very often be caused by a middle ear infection. So giving a steroid could potentially have serious consequences. BUT if the Vet s really Rabbit savvy h/she will have taken all this into consideration and can explain why to you xx

Personally I would want to know why a steroid is being given as opposed to a NSAID (Metacam) and I'd also want reassurance that the risk of using a steroid (baring in mind that it is much more of a risk to a Rabbit than to other species) was justified when no definitive diagnosis has yet been established.

Severe headtilt can very often be caused by a middle ear infection. So giving a steroid could potentially have serious consequences. BUT if the Vet s really Rabbit savvy h/she will have taken all this into consideration and can explain why to you xx

I've just phoned and he's phoning me back after 11. I've got eveything written down so I know what to say when he phones.

Haven't got all the conversation with the vet as my hubby spoke to him and he's gone out but what he told me on the phone was, Cookie's one Kidney isn't working properly :( there's too much protein in his wee.
The steriods have been halved as he's groggy.

Can bunnies survive with only one proper working kidney?

Haven't got all the conversation with the vet as my hubby spoke to him and he's gone out but what he told me on the phone was, Cookie's one Kidney isn't working properly :( there's too much protein in his wee.
The steriods have been halved as he's groggy.

Can bunnies survive with only one proper working kidney?

Yes xx

:D Oh thank god for that.. The vet said Cookie has too much protein in his urine which the vet said it's under performing kidney.
He said the steroid that is on is for the kidney problem but has told us to halve the 1mg tablet..
On Tuesday we hopefully will get the results of the E.C titre.

Back