• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which one to spay

smoo

Mama Doe
So now I've found out i've got a boy and a girl which are 6 weeks. Which one do I spay or do I spay both?? Also at what point do I make an appointment at the vets as I certainly don't want any more bunnies. :?:?

he might be ready from about 12 to 16 weeks, she might be six months or so? other people know more and will tell you. look for the plums with him and the fur pulling with her.

Due to funds I can only afford to get one done immediately and the other in a few months time.

Also, looking at insurance at the moment but I don't know what breed they are apart from Lop eared when I asked the previous owners what breed they are he said A Rabbit.

its best to get them both done, the female to prevent uterine cancer and the male to stop any hormonal problems, also the female

boy buns can be neutered from 14week age, or when their testicles decend, and preferably that they weigh 1kg or more

many vets prefer to wait abit longer with females and spey from 4-6months of age

do you know what breed your buns are yet? they are soo cute :love:

Due to funds I can only afford to get one done immediately and the other in a few months time.

Also, looking at insurance at the moment but I don't know what breed they are apart from Lop eared when I asked the previous owners what breed they are he said A Rabbit.

if your insuring can you not say crossbreed

if you can afford to get the male bunny done and then a few months after the female when she is say 6months of age

They are very cute :love::love:

Get the boy done first probably about 4 months depending on how developed he is and your vet. Its worth checking that your vet is rabbit savvy and that they are confident performing the 'op'

She seemed really nice ( i know that doesn't mean that she's rabbit savvy) but she took the time to explain to me what treatments and vaccinations are needed and why and she explained why different anesthetic is used.
How do I ask her if she knows what she's doing without sounding rude!

:?

I would get the boy done first. We got Dexter done at 14 weeks but his plums had dropped. :D Keep them separated for now and get Indy done when your vet says he's ready. It's slightly cheaper for males anyway. Then after about six weeks he'll be 'safe' to go back with Luna. However... if she's not spayed she may be hormonal and not put up with him.

The usual questions to ask the vets are things like, how many male rabbits have you neutered and how many were successful? (Or female depending on who's going first). My advice is get the operation done on a Monday or as close to as you can. That means if your bun stops eating after the op or there are any complications you won't have to go to the emergency vets which are expensive. :) Also I don't know which vets you're using but if it's the Veterinary Hospital on the High Street they also have a branch in Gorleston. At the weekends they close and any animals in are kept there one week and in the other branch the next week. I had Grim neutered in the Gorleston one on a Friday and they wanted to keep him in because he wasn't eating or pooing and they took him to Lowestoft over the weekend. I was ringing up like a mad woman and I finally got to pick him up on the Sunday I think. I bussed up there and got a taxi back which cost me £40... but it was worth it.

Anyway that was a ridiculously long story... sorry got carried away.

Yes they are but they weren't being cared for by their owners no food no hay etc.

Poor things, hope they'll be ok. Def get the male done first as I think they mature a bit earlier. Hopefully will give you chance to save for the female spay once she reaches 6 months.

These babies are too young to be away from the mother.However,as its too late to turn back the clock,I hope someone can come along and help and advise you to look after them both or they wont be around for the neutering ops.Hope their ok,dear wee mites.
The boy op can be done at 4 months provided his little plums are down.Hes cheaper and less invasive for the vet to do.Get the girlie done at about 6 months or so.You have a couple of months to save up as this can cost from £60 upwards.
They really are so cute.Best of luck.:wave:

She seemed really nice ( i know that doesn't mean that she's rabbit savvy) but she took the time to explain to me what treatments and vaccinations are needed and why and she explained why different anesthetic is used.
How do I ask her if she knows what she's doing without sounding rude!

:?

It's a good sign that she's talked to you about anaesthetics - occasionally you get a vet practise who say it's not even possible to neuter rabbits, that's when alarm bells ring!

As them about pre and post op care. Remember rabbits must NOT be fasted beforehand, they can't vomit like other animals so there's no need, and it's very dangerous for them to have a spell without eating.

Post op care advice should include keeping them warm, checking they've not removed their stitches, and monitoring their eating, drinking and pooing.

Very important - check what pain relief will be given. If the answer is "none" get as far away from that vet practice as possible! A rabbit WILL be in pain after a neutering op and needs painkillers to minimise his discomfort. If the rabbit is in too much pain he will stop eating, which can quickly be fatal itself.

It's been ages since I've had a bun neutered but I'd imagine they'd give him an injection of painkillers while he's there and then give you some to give him orally at home.

If it's a god practice they won't think you're rude for asking questions, they'll just think you're a comitted and caring owner. :) best of luck! :wave:

Back