• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cat fleas

lja401

Warren Scout
My bf brought home a kitten yesterday as a present for his mum and he kept it at our house for a couple of hours. It turns out it has fleas and lots of them according to the vet. Now, he didn't go near the rabbits or go in their room but he sat on our lap and we then saw the rabbits who were climbing all over us. Would they be able to get fleas this way? Also should we do anything to our house? I don't want fleas :(
Thank you.

I'm no expert but there's evey chance that fleas have found their way into the carpet etc and then they breed although they do need a host (i.e cat etc). I'm not sure if they would be able to live on buns but they would probably bite them :(
I would check the buns and phone your vet for advice, and get some bun-safe flea treatment for the carpets/floors.
i hope your bf is getting the kitty treated for fleas and worms, or else he might end up carrying the little horrors back to your house.

Kitten was treated this morning thankfully and isn't at our house anymore but still worried about the fleas. My bf has had cats ever since he was born and said they would need a cat to live on but I still may get some treatment because I don't want my little bunnies getting bitten. Thank you :)

You will need to treat the carepets, sofas and curtains etc in your house. Make sure that the clothing you held the kitten in are put in the machine on a hot wash.

Don't get cheap household spray from a supermarket because it doesnt work.

You vet will be able to supply it - usuallu about £15 a can. One can is plenty to treat the whole house.

This is the stuff on the vet uk website...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-product..._419/indorex-house-flea-spray-500ml-can-p-677

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-product..._419/indorex-house-flea-spray-500ml-can-p-677

Personally I wouldnt wait to oder online, I would may more to get the treatment from the vets. Flease can multiply VERY quickly!

Good luck.

I put my jeans that I was wearing into my cupboard last night with my other jeans. Do you think I will have to wash all my clothes in that cupboard? That would be about 20 washes!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My rabbits kept catching fleas from the cat that used to live next door, this went on for months finding fleas on my rabbits who were then bringing them into the house. Your vet will be able to give you a flea treatment that is suitable for rabbits :) I wouldn't suggest using one from a pet shop, have heard stories of bad reactions and also I don't think they are as effective.

Same goes for the sprays, you will need to treat your whole house and are best getting this from the vets rather than a pet shop

Thank you. We are getting some from vet tomorrow. Oh what a fun weekend in store - cleaning the house with the flea stuff! Can't wait!!!!

Back