PDA

View Full Version : Little Dot is U/D 27 home, tapeworm cyst was found in abdomen! P52 - answers :)

Bunny Buddy
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I took Little Dot to FHB today to see when she thought she ought to be spayed and we discussed how she was just waiting to *hopefully* be bonded to Elijah etc. I said she really needed to bond with Elijah as I couldn't realistically keep another two singles or get anymore and FHB thought it would be impossible for me not to get attached to her (don't know if that's a reflection on Dot or myself :oops::oops::lol::lol:) She said Dot was big enough (though she may swear a little whilst looking for the uterus :oops:) and that she wasn't too young, it wouldn't be detrimental to the doe just harder for the vet if she's younger than six months. Soo, I had the option of tomorrow, next Wednesday or I'd need to wait a month. She's stayed there to have the op tomorrow. (the nurse who admitted her was already smitten by the time I left the building :love::lol:)

FHB also commented on how she had good teeth and not too flat-a-face and she was pleased that that seems to be more of a trend now and she's seeing less bunnies with awful teeth.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/DeniseDevoto/DSCF5093.jpg

If anybody has any spare vibes I'm sure she would appreciate them.

Blackberry & Co
05-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Lots of vibes for Dot -she's beautiful :love:

jenzel5
05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
AAWWW lots of vibes for beautiful Dot! :love::love:

Bebopy
05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Lot and lots of vibes for Dot!! xxxxxxxxxx

KarenM
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Awwwww, sending lots and lots of vibes. :love::love:

Perhaps it's better in a way that her spay has been booked so suddenly - gives you much less time to worry about it in advance. ;)

Let us know how Little Dot gets on. :love:

Letichia
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Sending loads of vibes for Little Dot, she certainly is very gorgeous:love: xx

Bunny Buddy
05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
:wave: Thanksies for the vibes.

Perhaps it's better in a way that her spay has been booked so suddenly - gives you much less time to worry about it in advance. ;)

Yeah, I think I pretend to myself it's routine but in the back of my mind I remember Esme stopped breathing during her first attempt, so I will be a bag of nerves tomorrow morning.

Bunnyaddict
05-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Awwwww bless her Alison :)

Sending lots & lots of vibes for one very special little lady :love::love::love::love: No wonder the vet nurse was already smitten - Little Dot is such an adorable little poppet :love:

I'll be thinking about you both tomorrow - let me know how she gets on xx

KoShiatar
05-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Vibes for Little Dot! She's a gorgeous little girl.

hurricanhoney
05-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Hope it goes well.

poppymoon
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
hope all goes well for dot tomorrow xx

susie bun
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Hope all goes well for your very pretty girl. :wave:

antigone
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Sending lots of vibes for little Dot xxxx

chelle
06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Hope it all went smoothly for Little Dot! She is so beautiful!:love:

Bunny Buddy
06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
:wave:
Thanks again for the vibes.

Well, any time now, if not already :shock:

She may be coming home tonight but more likely staying there overnight. I still need to sort out some indoor accommodation for her as it's soo flipping cold at night at the moment (like you would expect in August :?)

Bunny Buddy
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, I've not had any phone calls so that hopefully means everything's gone smoothly. I'm not sure when morning surgery is finished (probably when it's finished!) so hopefully it's been done and she's coming to from the GA.

another 1 hour and 45 mins to news.

Can I breathe yet?

GrahamL
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, I've not had any phone calls so that hopefully means everything's gone smoothly. I'm not sure when morning surgery is finished (probably when it's finished!) so hopefully it's been done and she's coming to from the GA.

another 1 hour and 45 mins to news.

Can I breathe yet?

i would, will be difficult to answer the phone if you've passed out:lol:

I'm sure little dot will be fine :) It'll all be good!:wave:

Bunny Buddy
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm please to report that Little Dot has come to, is fairly bright and has downed some kale and corriander (it would take more than a GA to put this girl off her food :roll:)

Anyhows, she's staying in for tonight (routine for FHB practice) and I have to ring at about 10.30 for a progress report. It's highly likely I'll be collecting her between 2 and 3pm as that's when they are open on a Saturday.

I must try and remember to get some corriander in if that's the first thing that tempted her, so presumably she likes it a lot.

susie bun
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Glad she's OK. :D Don't forget that corriander! :wave:

KarenM
06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
That's great news. :D:D:D

I love buns that are piggies, it's so much easier to nurse them back to health when they love their food. :lol::lol: Alfie's like that, but Bubbles is very easily put off her food and she can be a real worry.

Hopefully she'll be making good progress and can come home tomorrow. :love:

Bunnyaddict
06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm please to report that Little Dot has come to, is fairly bright and has downed some kale and corriander (it would take more than a GA to put this girl off her food :roll:)

Anyhows, she's staying in for tonight (routine for FHB practice) and I have to ring at about 10.30 for a progress report. It's highly likely I'll be collecting her between 2 and 3pm as that's when they are open on a Saturday.

I must try and remember to get some corriander in if that's the first thing that tempted her, so presumably she likes it a lot.

Little Dot certainly does like her grub Alison!!! ;) :lol: Don't forget her narna too ;) :p

So pleased she has come to ok & is eating like a good un :D :love:

Hope she's back home tomorrow with you xxx

antigone
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Great news! :D

Bunny Buddy
07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
She's eaten overnight and I will be picking her up between 2 and 3 this afternoon :D

antigone
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
She's eaten overnight and I will be picking her up between 2 and 3 this afternoon :D

:D:D:D

Bunnyaddict
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM

yaaaaayyy that's great news :D:D:D

KarenM
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
:D:D:D Yay, fab news.

Bunny Buddy
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
She's home :D:D

In the hour or so she was in the carrier she deposited 24 large golden poops and in the time in her cage (about 10 mins) whilst I was getting greens for everybody, she had done another 11 or so in her potty :love::love::love:

She's so bright and nosey and now sat on her potty eating hay.

Frances said her uterus was small, I'm guessing that is an indication she could be younger than thought, and therefore had some growing to do (which is something Frances thought at the consultation).. no matter as Elijah is much bigger at the moment than Dot is.

She also said that she found a tapeworm cyst in her abdomen :shock::shock: Apparently it wouldn't hatch into a tapeworm in a herbivore, only when the herbivore got eaten by a carnivore would the tapeworm then do it's stuff :mrgreen: Anyhow she's having some treatment because of it but it was all in notes left so I'm not sure yet of any implications from that. I'll get more info next week.

Edit to add: I've just been reading up on tapeworm cysts and it looks like it might have bigger implications than I was thinking :cry::cry: I've been told she's had a Droncit injection and some more has been ordered but I will need to find out when she needs the next one.

:wave: Thanks for the posts everyone.:D

Bunnyaddict
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh bless her - so pleased she's home & doing ok :D :love: :love: :love:

:shock::shock::shock: At the tapeworm cyst though :( What are the implications Alison, as I've not come across them before? Really hope Little Dot will be ok.

Kermit
07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh i hope that the tapeworm cyst aint serious!
Good news that everything else went fine x

Bunny Buddy
07-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm really not sure about the tapeworm cyst as the receptionist and vet nurse told me what they knew ie it isn't a tapeworm eating her as such, just a cyst waiting to hatch in the right circumstances. I've had a quick read on here but not sure if there could be others lurking or if they potentially cause infections etc :cry::cry: I just don't know at the moment, I need to do a lot of reading. I didn't see a vet today but will be seeing Ruth at the end of the week and she will give me more info (Frances is away for 2 1/2 weeks). The more I read on here though the more I want to know sooner than the end of the week.

Bunny Buddy
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
What are the implications Alison, as I've not come across them before? Really hope Little Dot will be ok.

Well, from what I've just read she's bloomin' lucky she was spayed as the tapeworm cyst could have caused liver damage if it was attached there undusturbed, she's just extremely lucky it was found :shock: I don't know what the risks are of there being any more but no doubt Frances will be on the case and do everything necessary. Thinking about it though, if the prognosis was poor then she would have rung me after surgery rather than have the nurse pass on the information when I collected her. She's just very, very lucky it was found.

jenzel5
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
:shock: I hope she makes a speedy recovery and everything is ok!

Bunnyaddict
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, from what I've just read she's bloomin' lucky she was spayed as the tapeworm cyst could have caused liver damage if it was attached there undusturbed, she's just extremely lucky it was found :shock: I don't know what the risks are of there being any more but no doubt Frances will be on the case and do everything necessary. Thinking about it though, if the prognosis was poor then she would have rung me after surgery rather than have the nurse pass on the information when I collected her. She's just very, very lucky it was found.

Poor little poppet - I am so glad it was found, like you say I'm sure Frances would have rung you as opposed have one of the nurses pass the info on.

Keeping everything crossed that she will be ok xxx

Tuckerbunnies
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh hoping little Dot will have a speedy recovery Bless her.

charlie82
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
FHB removed a tapeworm cyst from my Teddy when he was neutered... that was four years ago and he's never experienced any further complications.:wave:

Wishing little Dot a speedy recovery!:):):)

Bunny Buddy
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
FHB removed a tapeworm cyst from my Teddy when he was neutered... that was four years ago and he's never experienced any further complications.:wave:

Wishing little Dot a speedy recovery!:):):)

:D:D Thanks for that, that's really good to hear :D

antigone
07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Little Dot is such a lucky bunny: she has a loving mummy and a super vet.:D

Hanlou
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
How weird - am glad that it was found and that the 'op has gone well though. Sending vibes for all to go well for Dot in the future. xx

poppymoon
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
really glad she perked up so quickly after her spay:D (greedy bunny:love:).

any more news on the cyst?

Bunny Buddy
10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
any more news on the cyst?

Thanks for asking. (Sorry I've not been around for a couple of days).

I don't know yet is the answer:?

Having done a search on here I thought she might need another jab, along the lines of mites needing a few jabs spaced out but my info given after her operation just said that treatment had been ordered, then somewhere else it said Droncit had been given and then no more details. So I left a message yesterday and my reply today from FHB is that she wants to speak to me about it :shock::shock::? So, I've got to ring tomorrow, kind of hit and miss to try and get to speak to her before she goes on holiday. I'm hoping it's just jabs, implications etc being explained but I suddenly feels quite nervous until I know what she needs to tell me :cry:

Edit to add: this is the most informative thing I've managed to Google and isn't light reading:

*link contains image some might find unpleasant*
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/tapeworm.htm

antigone
10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Little Dot xxxx
Please try not to worry (although that's easier said than done) as you don't know what FHB will say. If it was urgent, she would have talked to you on the day the operation took place.:)

Bunny Buddy
10-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Little Dot xxxx
Please try not to worry (although that's easier said than done) as you don't know what FHB will say. If it was urgent, she would have talked to you on the day the operation took place.:)

Thanks. Yes I'm sure you're right. She probably wants to explain it and be sure I have all the information as she knows I'm a worrier :oops::oops:

antigone
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks. Yes I'm sure you're right. She probably wants to explain it and be sure I have all the information as she knows I'm a worrier :oops::oops:

Aren't we all, when it comes to bunnies! :oops::wave:

Bunnyaddict
10-08-2010, 09:42 PM

I think that's what Frances will be wanting to do - at least then you know direct from her what it means for 'Little Dot' & what treatment etc she'll need.

How is your beautiful little girl doing now? :love:

chelle
10-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Hows shes doing?:)

Bunny Buddy
11-08-2010, 08:19 AM
How is your beautiful little girl doing now? :love:

Hows shes doing?:)

:wave: Thanks for asking.

She's doing amazingly well. She's been in a smallish cage (though still seems big for her!) since she got back home... In my bedroom. She seems a bit wary some of the time but is always coming to see what I've got for her. She's been binky-crazy the last hour or so :love::love::love: Time to move her into bigger accommodation today, I think. :love::love: Though I'll miss seeing her lovely little face on waking.

Her spay scar is a tiny bit pink, I think she must have been picking at it but it's okay, just needs keeping an eye on. She is so easy to pick up to check - I've never met a bun like her, she freezes rather than wriggles.

I gave her spring greens, corriander and narna for her supper one night and she was getting excited when I was bringing them to her, I assumed she could smell the banana - but no - it was the corriander she was getting excited over!! She wolfed down the narna straight after though :love: Her 'grandma' has been feeding her bits of corriander while I'm out at work ;)

fluffiebunnie
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
I am glad she is doing so well :D

bunnymadhouse
11-08-2010, 08:37 AM
only just caught up with this ...never come across this in rabbits :shock::mrgreen:

i hope little Dot will be ok ..

KarenM
11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Poor Dot. It's good that it's been spotted though and I'm sure if FHB was overly concerned she would have explained all immediately. Fingers crossed it causes no major problems (I haven't clicked the linky as I haven't long eaten :mrgreen:).

On a brighter note, Little Dot sounds like an absolute angel. :love::love:

chelle
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
yeah!:D Great she is wanting to binky....even if abit soon!:D
Great shes keen o her food & sounds an absolute angel to check! Bless her!
Well done for being such a caring bunny mum!:D:love:

rngpwelfare
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Denny's Marcel de Bun had a tapeworm cyst in his cheek, he never had any problems once it was removed.

I'll be interested to see why they've used Drontal with her as my vet said it would only kill the cyst but then it would just sit there as there is no way for the rabbits body to get rid of it. Especially if it's no where near the digestive tract.

Please keep us posted on this as I'd like to know what FHB is doing in this case and if you can find her reasons behind it that would be great.

I know my vets did a lot of research in to tapeworm cysts but no-one seemed to know what was the best thing to do.

Bunny Buddy
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I'll be interested to see why they've used Drontal with her as my vet said it would only kill the cyst but then it would just sit there as there is no way for the rabbits body to get rid of it. Especially if it's no where near the digestive tract.

Please keep us posted on this as I'd like to know what FHB is doing in this case and if you can find her reasons behind it that would be great.

I know my vets did a lot of research in to tapeworm cysts but no-one seemed to know what was the best thing to do.

What you've said there just about covers it!

I'm not sure of the value of killing them either, like you say if the body can't get rid, then is a dead one any better than an alive one? My instinct says a dead one could be more dangerous for the risk of infection etc :?

Anyhow, FHB said she didn't know whether Droncit has any value as it is for treating active tapeworms in carnivores not the cysts - so she doesn't know whether it does kill the cyst but thinks it's worth trying rather than not trying. There is no recommended/tried and tested treatment and she doesn't consider it necessary to administer any more in Dot's case.

She decided having seen the tapeworm cyst to remove it but didn't go rummaging around looking for others. To the best of her belief they wouldn't do any harm. If they are external or in a place causing soreness or discomfort then definitely remove them. The patient straight after Dot had suspected cancer on it's tongue - that turned out to be a tapeworm cyst too - I bet the bunny's owner was overjoyed it wasn't cancer. She said she had also seen a bunny in the past (I think belonging Bunny Burrows) that had loads of them in it's intestines so they were causing a problem of potential blockage so they had to be removed - only as they were 'in the way' not causing damage other than that.

To sum it up - Dot isn't considered at any more risk of having them in her than any other rabbit and if there are any there there's no reason to suspect they would harm her :D FHB said she couldn't rule out them being transferred through infected hay, so being careful where I pick grass won't definitely stop it ever happening to any of them. Pretty much she has the all clear - no more treatment and nothing to worry about :D

KarenM
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Pretty much she has the all clear - no more treatment and nothing to worry about :D

That's good news. :thumb: Now we need new pics as it's been at least 3 or 4 days since we've seen one. ;) :lol:

GrahamL
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
That's good news. :thumb: Now we need new pics as it's been at least 3 or 4 days since we've seen one. ;) :lol:

Agreed!

Glad it was good news :)

HoppingBinky
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
My Thumper had a tapeworm cyst removed two weeks ago, it was popping out of his anus. The vet told me it is quite rare in domestic rabbits and can take upto 18 months for it to cause problems. I believe he got his from the house he originally came from as they had a dog who used to go out onto the fields. My vet also said that there could be others but unless they cause problems you might never know they were there. The only way to check is by an ultrasound scan every few months. I have done quite a bit of research on this problem so i am aware of what potentially i could be dealing with. If there's anything you want to know please pm me.
I'm so glad Dot's made a great recovery and hope that's the last you will hear from this nasty condition.:D

antigone
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM

^^^ This! :wave:

Bunny Buddy
13-08-2010, 10:25 AM
My Thumper had a tapeworm cyst removed two weeks ago, it was popping out of his anus. The vet told me it is quite rare in domestic rabbits and can take upto 18 months for it to cause problems. I believe he got his from the house he originally came from as they had a dog who used to go out onto the fields. My vet also said that there could be others but unless they cause problems you might never know they were there. The only way to check is by an ultrasound scan every few months. I have done quite a bit of research on this problem so i am aware of what potentially i could be dealing with. If there's anything you want to know please pm me.
I'm so glad Dot's made a great recovery and hope that's the last you will hear from this nasty condition.:D

I feel reassured by the information I have so I think I'll just 'get on with it' unless there's any reason to worry over it again, but thanks for the info.

Bunny Buddy
13-08-2010, 10:26 AM

I'll see if I can organise it this weekend. I've more work than I dare count, I'm full of cold and feeling very sorry for myself.... Dot was digging her cage between 6.00 am and 8.00 am so I'm tired. I pitched her and cage onto landing at about 7.00 at which time Elijah started banging his feets ... for about an hour and Dot joined in :roll::roll:

KarenM
13-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Ooopsie, sounds like Little Dot is settling in and her halo's slipping. :lol::lol: I hope you feel better soon too. :love:

Bunny Buddy
13-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Ooopsie, sounds like Little Dot is settling in and her halo's slipping. :lol::lol: I hope you feel better soon too. :love:

Fanku. :love:

I will have to start thinking about bonding :shock::shock: soon, something else to worry about :roll::lol::lol:. The bank holiday seems like a good opportunity. I hope Elijah banging his feet at Dot this morning wasn't a bad sign :?

KarenM
13-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Eeeeeeek! *runs screaming from the room* Alison just said the B word. :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

You might be pleasantly surprised. ;);)

Bunnyaddict
13-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Awwwww bless her - I'm sure she's a good girl really Alison ;) :p :love:.

And yes please, piccies :wave: ;) :D :love:

Bunny Buddy
15-08-2010, 03:29 PM
:wave:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240994 :D

Bunny Buddy
19-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Eeeeeeek! *runs screaming from the room* Alison just said the B word. :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

You might be pleasantly surprised. ;);)

Potentially only 8 days away now and I have started to get panicky :roll:

what if. ... What if??.. what if? AND - How am I supposed to look after the others for 48 hours while I watch these two like a hawk? I'm suddenly really apprehensive. Also, I can't be away from Artie all that time :cry::cry::cry: I can't have him in the same room :? How can I cope ??? :shock:

Tracy
19-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Ohhhhh Alison, I had completely missed this thread (I don't know how!!) and had no idea what you had been going through with Little Dot. :shock:

I'm so glad that your little girl is OK. :D

KarenM
19-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Awwww, try not to stress. Easier said than done I know because I think I played out every possible scenario before trying to bond Max with my two (well, before sending them away for somebody else to bond :lol:).

As long as Elijah and Dot are within earshot, you'll be able to look after the others too. ;) If anything kicks off you would soon hear it.

Or you can just send them both to me and I'll keep them forever..... problem solved. :D:D