• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pasteurella Information....(aka Snuffles!)

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I just got back from the vets today. My group of three buns ama, lily and lucy don't have pasteurella! Horray. My vet said there eyes are all clear etc, so i'm pleased about that.

The bunnys who do have pasteurella are shadow, patch and blaze. Shadow lives with his bonded partner Stripe and isn't showing any symptoms but the vet has recommended i treat him also as pasteurella is contagious "on direct contact".

My vet said that if hutches and runs are more than "30cm apart" , i do not need to treat as a herd. He did say i can treat all 14, but he said that as the runs are a foot apart, i can treat only the ones that are directly infected or bonded with an infected partner.

I'm pleased my girls don't have this, but i thought the information he has given me will be a good update for anyone who needs to know about snuffles. Good news, It is not as contagious as i thought!

I am now taking my 3 girls who don't have it( ama, lily, and lucy) in for neutering, my vets have been ever so good giving me a 10% discount. My other three i'm going to book in also- (ava , rose and athena).

They were really good today charging me only £12 in total for the consultation and prescription. I now get my meds on prescription as it is working out much cheaper this way and it's got far too expensive with all the poorly buns i've had lately.

Hopefully this vets will be happy to work with me when i start taking in rescue buns at some point. I'm glad to know i can reconsider this as the pasteurella outbreak is not as bad as i first thought. I did have this on hold as i wanted to make sure my lot were okay first and that everything is under control, organised and practicle for taking in rescue buns. I'm still not ready yet, but i hope i will be soon.

I've alot more practicle issues to address first, but i'm sure it will happen eventually, it's inevitable. It's a good job i have a boyfriend who understands my passion for bunnys and all animals for that matter :)

Well i just thought i'd share. I hope some of the information from the vets will be of use to someone here.

Love Ambience xx

P.s NOTES on PASTURELLA-

1. It can only transmitted via DIRECT contact.
2. If a bunny is with a bonded partner- it is a good idea to treat the bonded partner also.
3. Keep non infected animals at least 30 cms away from snuffle buns.

Last edited:
14 rabbits!! Wow, i've had my 2 since sunday and I feel that I haven't had a moment to myself!
Glad they are doing well :wave:

14 rabbits!! Wow, i've had my 2 since sunday and I feel that I haven't had a moment to myself!
Glad they are doing well :wave:

Yep, Will have more eventually- these are my pets, and i will be taking in some rescues in the future i hope.

18 pets at the moment including 3 cats and one hamster :)

Congratulations on your two new bunnys- i hope they are settling in well xx

Back