• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maia not eating after her spay [U/D] She ate and pooped. :-)

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
So Maia has been spayed today at 12. It's 22.23 and she hasn't eaten yet (she does drink though). I have some Critical Care equivalent, should I prepare a syringe and give it to her? Of course she hasn't pooped, either...

Last edited:
I would syringe her some food and some water (or some watery recovery feed), and if she hasn't eaten or pooped by the morning take her to the vets :)

Ok, I will, thank you. No need for water I think as she is drinking, but no eating, peeing or pooping. So off I go with the syringe.

Ok, I will, thank you. No need for water I think as she is drinking, but no eating, peeing or pooping. So off I go with the syringe.

It's great that she's drinking keeping hydrated is one of the most important bits :( hopefully she got some at the vets, should be listed on your invoice/bill as metacam? If not I would ask for some tomorrow x

So Maia has been spayed today at 12. It's 22.23 and she hasn't eaten yet (she does drink though). I have some Critical Care equivalent, should I prepare a syringe and give it to her? Of course she hasn't pooped, either...

i had this with twiglet about 3 weeks ago, she didnt eat for about 48 hours (just the occasional shred of hay keeping her going_ I found she would only eat actuay live grass but the seeded tough stuff..... u may want to try that

sure she will be ok be careful as stressy force feeding may make her not want to eat even more

tabby took ages to eat or show signs of being herself after her spay. dandelion leaves worked, a bit. (it was christmas...).

Of course, she is a house bunny. I was thinking of aking her a hot water bottle as her ears are cooler than usual, do you think it's a good idea?

Well not really hot! Just tepid. Since it's summer I wouldn't have any idea on how to make the room warmer...:?::?::?:

Awww poor little love. Personally I would not syringe feed her tonight - she has had major surgery and is bound to feel poorly and stressed, that's quite normal. I would be inclined to leave her somewhere warm (you can do her a bottle but make sure she has enough space to get away from it if she gets too warm; it's not cold at the moment so she should be fine just in a normal room indoors), quiet and dimly lit, surrounded by some tasty treats and a bowl of water, and just leave her to settle. By jumping in too quickly with syringe feeding I think you can do more harm than good with a new wound and adding extra stress, which can make the cycle self-perpetuating at this stage. If she's drinking then that's brilliant as that will help to flush the anaesthetic out and keep her gut contents hydrated.

If she isn't eating tomorrow, however, I would definitely go back to the vets and hopefully they will give you more pain relief and a gut stimulant.

I decided to go midway - I fed her, but just a bit to make sure her stomach isn't completely empty. I made her a warm bottle and put it in the cage, she has plenty of space to move away. The vet gave me a collar to put on at night, but it's too large and unusable. Hopefully she won't pull on her stitches because she has a large patch down there. Now we're leaving her in peace for the rest of the night and I will check on her when I wake up at night to go the the bathroom then tomorrow morning. She has fleece blankets in the cage too. Hope she's comfortable poor little thing... she's still grunting at us though so she hasn't completely lost her nerve.

She seems to have eaten some carrot leaves during the night, but no wee, poo (she visited the litter tray and stayed there for some time, but did nothing), or signs of wanting to eat anything else. Hmm... think I'm going to phone the vets this morning.

Update: she didn't eat the carrot, hust hid it under a blanket. :-( On the good side, she did some squishy poos. I'm phoning the vets for some advice on syringe feeding and see what I should do.

Aw, bless her - bunnies are so sneaky! Glad she's done some pooping. Deffo get advice from the vets. And make sure she has enough pain relief - it's a big op to get over.

Back