• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pre-Bonding Play Time

Bitzy

Mama Doe
So having read a few threads on here it seems that some of you let your bunnies have a bit of supervised play time together before you start the 'proper' bonding.

My two have been separated for 6 weeks so far (they're brother and sister and were together up to them being 11 weeks old when a fight broke out) they're housed side by side (with just 2 layers of mesh separating them) so can see and smell each other. Rascal has been neutered and Dizzi is being spayed next week.

Would it be ok to let them have a bit of supervised play time indoors (neutral territory) for an hour or so every few days before they're properly bonded?? (as long as they're getting on ok of course ... and not whilst Dizzi's healing from her op)!

Thanks, Jo x

I wouldn't. There is no such thing as "play time" in un-bonded buns really, you are just starting the bonding process. Personally I'm not a fan of putting them together then separating them again as it just confuses them and as they start to sort out their hierarchy it all changes again. I think you're more likely to end up with a fight and not be able to bond them if you don't start off with the intention that this is the start of the bonding. I would advise you find the time when you can put them together and not separate them, and just get on with it without any pre-meets.

Good luck x

Mine had 6 "dates" before they finally bonded. The only reason for this was that each of the previous dates had ended in a fight so they had to be seperated. I would try them together with the intention of bonding them fully and only seperate them if it is essential - there is no reason to seperate them together if things are going well

Good luck!!

I agree with santa i think you're asking for trouble, i personally think if you're going to bond them then do it properly and then dont seperate, you could have them next to eachother on neutral territory and see how they act though throught the bars :wave:

I wouldn't. There is no such thing as "play time" in un-bonded buns really, you are just starting the bonding process. Personally I'm not a fan of putting them together then separating them again as it just confuses them and as they start to sort out their hierarchy it all changes again. I think you're more likely to end up with a fight and not be able to bond them if you don't start off with the intention that this is the start of the bonding. I would advise you find the time when you can put them together and not separate them, and just get on with it without any pre-meets.

Good luck x

Here, here. Agree completely. Good luck!

OK thanks everyone ......... I'll wait until after Dizzi's recovered from her spay op in a few weeks as I'd originally planned then.

Back