• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering - I'm worried!

Bink

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I am taking my 4 month old male dwarf lop George to have a check up at the vets this afternoon, to see if he is ready to be neutered. We have seen lots of behavioural aspects that make us think he is ready - he goes into a sort of trance when he sees Fifi through the run, he is DESTROYING his hutch overnight and being very stampy and grunty - a far cry from the cheeky but usually good tempered little pudding I am used to :)

I have been planning on getting him done as soon as he is ready (and Fifi will be spayed when she is ready too) but I am suddenly sick with worry about the dangers of anaesthetic, how quiet I will have to keep him post-op etc.

I'd like to know your experiences of neutering/spaying. How quick the recovery is, what special treatment you gave your buns, anything - I'm so worried but I know it has to be done!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Steph

:wave: Your boy will be fine. Don't starve him of anything prior to his neuter, (buns can't vomit), bunnies need to eat ALL the time, so take some food and hay with you for when he wakes up, the sooner he's eating something the better, you may need to encourage this a bit when he comes home though, his fav herbs, apple etc.
A male neuter is a little less compicated than a female spay, restrict his movements for a couple of days but he should recover fairly quickly.
I don't have a male, but with my girl I put her on some fleece then a cotton sheet over the top.
Due to the anasthetic I brought her indoors for a couple of nights as their temp can drop initially after the op.
Ask for some pain reief for him when he comes home.

Hope that helps. :D Probably forgot something as I'm rushing a bit. :roll:

Thanks for all your advice lildebs, that's really helpful.

I am a bit worried though, I did some reading before taking him to the vet, and all websites and you say he shouldn't be starved - my vet said he should have his food taken away at 7pm the night before the op! Should I be concerned at how rabbit savvy he is?

He always seems so fond of cats and dogs in the waiting room, and so disinterested in George when I take him in, my Mum thinks its just his way (he is quite eccentric).

I am happy with everything I have to do except the starving.

I'd already be concerned by what you say, if you've been told to starve him, your vet does not know what he's talking about - its VERY bad to starve a bun, they should be fed up until you take them to the vets.

I can't tell you what to do, but i 'personally' would not take my bun to this vet. Doesn't sound very rabbit savvy to me.

Gray

Thank you both for your advice. I phoned another vet in the local area (recommended by a rabbit rescue) and they seemed concerned by what my vet said too. I shall be cancelling George's neuter and booking him in elsewhere - it isn't worth the risk.

Thank you both for your advice. I phoned another vet in the local area (recommended by a rabbit rescue) and they seemed concerned by what my vet said too. I shall be cancelling George's neuter and booking him in elsewhere - it isn't worth the risk.

I think that's an excellent decision, good on you for keeping your buns health first priority :)

I am a bit worried though, I did some reading before taking him to the vet, and all websites and you say he shouldn't be starved - my vet said he should have his food taken away at 7pm the night before the op!... I shall be cancelling George's neuter and booking him in elsewhere - it isn't worth the risk.

Hope you find a good vet, I totally agree re cancelling, you should not have been told to starve your bunny.

Firstly try not to let this taint everything and worry you more, for an rabbit savvy vet bunny neuters should be pretty routine. Boys especially tend to bounce back fairly quick as its not as invasive as for the females. I've had five boys done and 4 girls and never had a problem. You'll need to keep him indoors for at least 24hrs post op as they cannot regulate their temperature after a GA. If you don't have an suitable soft bedding like a towel etc puppy training pads are brill for this sort of thing. You can often get a small pack in pound shops. They are soft and spongy and best of all soak up any urine as your bun may be a bit too sore to get in an out of his litter tray at first. Also make sure you have all his fav foods on standby as you want him eating as soon as possible after the op.

Hope you find a good vet, I totally agree re cancelling, you should not have been told to starve your bunny.

Firstly try not to let this taint everything and worry you more, for an rabbit savvy vet bunny neuters should be pretty routine. Boys especially tend to bounce back fairly quick as its not as invasive as for the females. I've had five boys done and 4 girls and never had a problem. You'll need to keep him indoors for at least 24hrs post op as they cannot regulate their temperature after a GA. If you don't have an suitable soft bedding like a towel etc puppy training pads are brill for this sort of thing. You can often get a small pack in pound shops. They are soft and spongy and best of all soak up any urine as your bun may be a bit too sore to get in an out of his litter tray at first. Also make sure you have all his fav foods on standby as you want him eating as soon as possible after the op.

Excellent advice. :)

EDIT: Learnt something new, didnt realise they couldnt regulate their temperature after a GA. Thanks Amy :)

Please do! It's really worrying that your vet said to starve him! That can be fatal for rabbits, as they go into something called 'stasis' which is where the gut stops working.

Good luck for the neuter - a slong as the vet knows what they're doing everything should be fine. My buns have literally had more aneastetics than I can count, and have always come through them fine.

You guys are fab. Thank you for all your advice, I also hadn't really taken on board the temperature regulation issue. The vet should really have known about that too. Thanks for everything. Will let you know how he gets on when he eventually has it done.

I also hadn't really taken on board the temperature regulation issue. The vet should really have known about that too. Thanks for everything. Will let you know how he gets on when he eventually has it done.

To be fair the don't always tell you this until you pick them up. First time it happened to me I had nowhere indoors to keep him overnight so had to rush out and buy something on the way home! If you have indoor buns its not a prob.

Good luck! It's a good thing you were posting on here and found out about the starving thing - good thing I read it too, because I'm hoping to get Yoshi neutered soon...and, well, I think it's a good thing to know beforehand! I wish you all the best. Out of curiosity, has your bunny every tried biting you even when he is unprovoked? Like, if you are sitting somewhere and your arm is out, he will just come over and try to nip you? Mine has been acting very territorial and I think if the vet says he is ready to be neutered then it will be done as soon as possible!!

Back